Good places to buy manga?

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Good places to buy manga?

Post by Keropi »

Where the good online places to buy manga?

I haven't bought or read much manga so I'm pretty clueless as to where the good places are. :shrug

I'd also like to get an idea of what titles have been picked up for English release since I never keep up with manga news. (#^_^#; )
Last edited by Keropi on Fri May 26, 2006 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

In the Universe we know.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
irmgaard
Senpai - Elder

Post by irmgaard »

Look before you buy! Go to:

Kinokuniya Book Store
(213) 687-4480
(213) 621-4456
123 Astronaut E S Onizuka #205
Los Angeles, CA 90012
:D
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I tend to get mine either from my local comic retailer who has a good selection or online from Roberts Anime Corner Store.
Once in a while I'll check out the local Barnes & Noble.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

I usually get mine from the local Borders Express. These periodically have a 5 for 4 or 4 for 3 sale and also have a discount card. I have get all the discounts possible since I'm reading about 8-10 series at a time.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

I buy mine at Just Manga. Try clicking one of the tabs at the top of the home page; they have about a bazillion titles that you can browse by category, and there are preview pages from many of the books so that you can see exactly what you're buying. They also discount all titles, and shipping is free over $40. They're my favorite manga dealer by far. :)
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Moop wrote:I buy mine at Just Manga. Try clicking one of the tabs at the top of the home page; they have about a bazillion titles that you can browse by category, and there are preview pages from many of the books so that you can see exactly what you're buying. They also discount all titles, and shipping is free over $40. They're my favorite manga dealer by far. :)
Thanks for the link, Moop. It looks like a great site.

*goes back to check it out*
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

When they are having studio sales, it's hard to beat Right Stuf on
prices...especially if you get a Got Anime membership and get an additional
10% off. The only drawback is that you never know when a sale on what
you want will happen. Still, for Tokyopop and some other manga publishers,
they offer 25% (plus the got anime discount plus coupons) daily.
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

I can't always get to a bookstore and even when I do, the manga I need next isn't always there, so I buy online alot. The places I buy from most frequently are these:

http://www.discountanimedvd.com/
this place has some good prices, however they unexpectedly run out of stock on things now and then and then they put it in backorder. You can write and cancel backordered items.

http://www.animecastle.com/
This place ships fast and they carry a lot of titles. Some titles I couldn't find aat other sites, I found here.

Beyond that, if I'm ordering a bunch of things, I also order from Amazon to take advantage of free shipping. Check to see what the shipping date will be, though. I ordered 3 manga, all in print, and the order wasn't going to be filled until July! I ended up cancelling the order and buying from Anime Castle and had the books in 3 days and I'm reading them now.
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Irmgaard: - I'd love to visit the Kinokuniya Book Store in Los Angeles, but I have no transportation to get there. :D

JWR: - The reason I wanted to check out online is because the regular stores aren't as likely to have what I'm looking for. :^^:
animeobsessed wrote:I usually get mine from the local Borders Express. These periodically have a 5 for 4 or 4 for 3 sale and also have a discount card. I have get all the discounts possible since I'm reading about 8-10 series at a time.
Uwah! That's a lot. 8O Mangamania! :)

Thanks for the links Moop and Vapalla! /no1

This whole thing was inspired by my Boredom. Here I was sticking anime titles into search boxes at Rubberslug, Google and Beta just see if anything came up about them anywhere, when I happen to see Kymaera mentioning a Tsukihime manga somewhere. :D

In the very least, I'll have to read that, but I know there's other stuff I'm missing too. There was someone five years ago that recommended ren'ai game-type/shounen/seinen romance anime to me, but I don't know anyone that's into both manga and games so I might have to look all that up on my own. :(
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

""? is a lot?
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

Keropi wrote:IHere I was sticking anime titles into search boxes at Rubberslug, Google and Beta just see if anything came up about them anywhere, when I happen to see Kymaera mentioning a Tsukihime manga somewhere. :D
The Tsukihime manga is really good so far. It follows the anime series
closely, but expands on it nicely. For example, the fight with Nero is a lot
more involved (which it should be).

As far as game-based manga, there's also To Heart, Comic Party and Sakura
Wars. That's all that I can think of off the top of my head.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Can you think of another example?
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

kymaera wrote:The Tsukihime manga is really good so far. It follows the anime seriesclosely, but expands on it nicely. For example, the fight with Nero is a lot more involved (which it should be).
I was trying to find info on the manga, but wasn't able to find any. I gather the first three volumes are out? ?^_^?

I haven't played any of the game, but I'm very curious to see if they're going to use any of the cool storylines from the game involving Satsuki, Kohaku and Akiha that completely got cut out from the anime. I heard about those storylines a long time ago and I'd like to know more about those parts. Those were some of the best storylines and they were completely absent from the anime. :O

:topic

I seen this bag with Akiha (Tsukihime) and Rin (Fate/stay night) on the outside of it on YJ a couple days ago:
http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e55421764

Akiha looking evil is just too much. Two of my all-time favorite Tsundere characters on one Paper Sack(tm) !! lol :D
kymaera wrote:As far as game-based manga, there's also To Heart, Comic Party and Sakura Wars.
I'll probably have get more of "To Heart" since I DID buy the first volume a long time ago. I think I've only bought three manga ever. I also bought two Japanese Sentimental Graffiti manga off YJ.
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

The first two volumes are out. The third is supposed to be released June 26.

Btw, in case you don't have the Tsukihime DVD's yet, Deep Discount DVD is
having a nice Geneon sale right now, so you can get it for about half off:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=PIO012622

Oh..and we need to get you started on figures as well. There are a ton of
Fate Stay Night ones coming out since the series is airing :D