Furuba: In its entirety [Ending spoilers]

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
Masako
Kishin - Fierce God

Furuba: In its entirety [Ending spoilers]

Post by Masako »

I thought this should be in a separate post, since a lot of people probably haven't finished this manga yet, and there will be a lot of spoilers included...

So now that it's finished its run (at least in Japan), how do you all feel about this series overall? Favorite characters and couples? How was the ending?

Warning: do not view if you haven't finished the entire manga series!

My overall favorite character:
Momiji. His story got so dark and sad at the end with his unrequited love! It seemed like everyone was hooking up at the end except for him, and he was left all alone. Even though he has his little sister, the ending still kinda leaves his future hanging.
And the ending:
Okay the last chapter was cute but predictable. The thing that really got me was the flashback to Tohru's mom. That was such a shock. I mean, it's all winding down and happy-happy, and then...!! Wow. You could feel her anguish and fear.
The character I grew to hate:
SHIGURE. He turned from my favorite to my most hated. I think it was because... of his self-centered-ness? Just his relationship with Akito overall and the sort of "devil's advocate" role he took on. Was it just me??
Overall, this was an excellent manga, one of the best shoujo manga in my opinion. Takaya-sensei managed to bring her characters to life with deep backstories and personalities. Although her drawing style changed greatly over the years, the emotional quality still remained.

Anyway, I would love to hear all of your thoughts on this amazing series! :wink:
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Thank you darling Masako for using the spoiler tags!
Could PM/email me please and let me know how many volumes FB has?
I have up to vol 15 so far.
I won't be returning to this thread for fear of ruining the fun, so everyone else, Enjoy!

:hippy
Peace Out
LinaLoN
Senpai - Elder

Post by LinaLoN »

BIG SPOILERS AND QUESTIONS!!!!!!

I loved Tohru and Kyo's part in the last manga however, I think for the most part everyone else got the shorter end of the stick there. It was nice to see Yuki be with Mayu (I think that's her name... sorry if it's not) but it's like a consolation prize for losing Tohru. Yeah, I thought it was sad about Momiji because I always had a suspicion he had a thing for Tohru but he seemed kinda close to Kagura there at the end. I never really cared for Shigure to begin with. I'm glad to see Akito blossom into happiness. All though I will probably NEVER be used to the whole thing and still think of her as a antagonist.

I wanted to know what the explan. was on the truth behind the zodiac curse. I saw pics and put some things together but I can't translate Japanese so there are some blank spaces. What I thought was: "God favored the cat the most and when the cat didn't show up at the banquet, God punished her then the rat confessed to tricking. So God thought it was mean of all the other animals not to go and wake up the cat or tell the cat the truth so she placed a different curse on the others that would only break when someone could love the cat and the cat would be accepted into the family," Is this close?

The thing I was most confused with was the absolute end. Were Tohru and Kyo married and that little girl was their daughter? Or was that little girl Tohru and those were her parents going out together?
My cat Temperance I call her Tempe for short.

My cat Seeley is a Sailor Moon fan, too!

I didn't anticipate on having a black female cat and a white male cat or I would have named them Luna and Artemis... oh well.
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

LinaLoN wrote: The thing I was most confused with was the absolute end. Were Tohru and Kyo married and that little girl was their daughter? Or was that little girl Tohru and those were her parents going out together?
Haven't got it in front of me, but as I remember the little girl asked her mom about grandma and grandpa, so she was Tohru and Kyo's granddaughter. The older couple at the end were Tohru and Kyo.
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kamidake »

LinaLoN wrote:B

I wanted to know what the explan. was on the truth behind the zodiac curse.
No there really was no tricking. The jist of it is that all the animals spend lots of years having banquets with God on full moon nights. But one nigth cat is dying from old age so God set a curse to make them all be together forever. Cat was sad because he doesn't want forever, he was content to have spent one lifetime with god, then he died. But all the other animals and god felt betrayed by cat's feelings and that's what made the monster cat form. Cat was actually god's first companion, all the other animals came later
Favorite character will always be AYAME!!! ^__^ Even though he doesn't really get a lot of page time.

THis doesn't pertain to last manga, but I'll spoiler button anyway:
I'm really glad that Tohru got together with Kyo and everything worked out. But just by having both Yuki and Kyo knew Tohru's mother when they were little was too big of a coincidence don't you think? ^^;; Maybe they just goes with how everybody was destined to meet each other etc. etc. but still... ^^;
The ending:
I thought it was really sweet that it showed how Tohru and Kyo grew old together and had grand kids, but I sort of would like to see another "banquet" of all the grown Zodiacs together. Although they implied who tehy would end up with but still, would be nice to see. Example, did Hanajima end up being Kyo's step mom after? Lol!
Masako's character she grew to hate:
I do have to agree that Shigure lost his appeals later toward the manga, but it's all for the greater good! ;) I think ultimately he was trying to push everything in the right direction and just pretended he doesn't care. I do think Momiji got the short end of the stick, but he's been getting the short end all his life. Did they ever explain if he was able to go back being Momo's brother or he still has to pretend he's somebody elses' child? Poor bunny.
I'm sad that this series is over and yeah, it's one of my aboslute favorites. Although there are significant change in art style and definitely a lot darker. But I'm glad everything ended happily. ^_^
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
Masako
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Masako »

Reply to Kamidake's comments~
Now that you mention it, that would've been such a sweet ending to see all of them at a banquet... not just the zodiac but their friends as well. But eh, maybe that would've been too perfect of an ending? And I totally agree with the fact that there are a few too many coincidences than I would have liked throughout the series... but overall those can be forgiven, I suppose, if they help with character development and such.
Another cute couple I forgot to mention earlier:
Ritsu and Shigure's editor. :D They were so adorable together!! The spaz-tastic duo.
LinaLoN
Senpai - Elder

Post by LinaLoN »

I'm still a little confused about the zodiac thing even with your explaination kamidake. Did the Rat really trick the Cat like the legend say or was that false?

Yeah, I hate seeing HUGH jumps in storylines like this. It would've been nice to see the banquet thing, Tohru and the others graduating HS, Tohru and Kyo getting married, and etc.

Do you think Shigure moved in with Akito and gave T/K the house as a wedding gift?

I didn't anticipate on having a black female cat and a white male cat or I would have named them Luna and Artemis... oh well.
vampyreshoujo
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by vampyreshoujo »

LinaLoN wrote:I'm still a little confused about the zodiac thing even with your explaination kamidake. Did the Rat really trick the Cat like the legend say or was that false?
It's my undestanding that that's just the legend that ended up getting passed down to explain why the cat was left out of the zodiac. However, the real reason the cat was left out is the spoiler kamidake posted.
SME
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by SME »

I was mostly satisfied with the ending. As mentioned earlier, K and T getting together at the end was really cute. I honestly thought it would be T and Y would be getting together, but seeing how much K really liked her started me thinking and in the end that is what happened.

I never read a manga that made me happy and sad at the same time. Momiji deserved more than what he got, and I really wish there was even more Ayame. As also mentioned before, I was quite surprised with Shigure's outcome, but as you get closer to the end there are lots of clues that point in that direction, so the shock really wasn't as big as it could have been.

I really REALLY hope they change their mind and continue with the anime series. This was truly one of my most favorite anime/manga to watch, read and collect. Does anyone really know if they will continue the anime? I know they said no, but if they get enough people to want it done, they might?
  • "If us girls can't be strong, then we can't protect the boys we love." - Naoko Takeuchi
  • "Anyone who sees me has a date with his maker." - Shinigami
  • "WHAT!??! Men in pink!? How bizarre!" - Vegeta
  • This message has been approved by Welcome Consumer...got questions? She's got answers. :P
LinaLoN
Senpai - Elder

Post by LinaLoN »

Ah, thanks kamidake and vampyreshoujo for explaining things to me. I'm less confused now.

A lot of shows these days I've noticed have had last episodes that haven't had the proper closure fans have been seeking. It would've been nice to see Tohru and Kyo graduate and get married. Or see how everyone does... find a love for Momoji... etc. However, at least we DO know they get married for a fact and have children. Unlike some other animes and TV shows I've seen (ie: Gilmore Girls). So I guess that's a good thing. Leaves a lot for fanfiction, doesn't it? :)