The Twelve Kingdoms

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
Deadly Whispers
Wamphyri

The Twelve Kingdoms

Post by Deadly Whispers »

Not really manga, but I hope you'll forgive me. Apparently, I'm really slow on the uptake anyway!

Was anyone else interested in the books to this series? I began watching the anime because there was a unicorn on the DVD jacket, and I loved it. I found out about the books a little later, and I know that the series there isn't finished, either, but I loved the anime. I loved how it felt like READING while watching - it felt like a good book.

http://www.tokyopop.com/605.html

While avoiding work for a few minutes *cough* I ran across this and about fell out of my chair. Yay, happiness! Has anyone checked it out yet? What do/did you think?

~ DW
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

I recieved my book in the mail yesterday and thus far I love it. The book is broken into 8 chapter consisting of 459 pages. This is the first novel in the series (There will be at least 7 more released in due time). As a huge fan of the anime series (one look at my gallery express that 8) ) I am really enjoying the novel. I have read almost 100 pages so far (would have liked to read more but due to piles of work I have not been able to).
There are some differences thus far compared to the anime. I have written down some of the differences I noticed in chapter 1 below in the spoiler. I recommend however reading before viewing them. I highly recommend you check out the novel if you like the anime. It is truely amazing work.

Below is a First Chapter comparing the Novel to the Anime series:

- The biggest difference is that in the anime Yuka and Asano travel with Yoko to the other world however in the novel they do not.

- In the novel when Keiki came it was in a classroom. In the novel he came in the Teachers break room.
- Yoko attends an all girls school in the novel. In the anime series she doesn't.
- The novel explained the dreams Yoko was having at night in a series of events and gave some information about them. The anime didn't.
- The battle on the rooftop was different, however it was very similar seqence as the anime series.
- When the Hinman attached himself to Yoko it didn't say that he literally attached himself and bound her before getting inside her (like the anime). But rather he simply invaded through the back of her head (which is shown in the anime a bit later in the seqence). However in the anime Keiki is not holder in hands firm to allow the hinman to attach which he was doing so in the novel.
-The battle between her and the Kcohou was much more violent and the detail was much greater then the anime. In the anime you see the bird coming and yoko cuts its head off from the get go. However in the novel she slowly cuts and tears the bird to pieces followed by vomiting at the end (Which yoko does not vomit in the anime series)
- There was more resist on Yoko's part in the novel so far then there was in the anime series. She did resist in the anime series but not as greatly in the novel.

There where several other but i can't remember from the top of my head. So far I would say I can't say which version I like so far. But I am leaning towards the book mainly due to the vivid detail (however I do understand in a motion picture you simply can't do it). I am really looking forward to reading more..
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
Belldandy
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Belldandy »

Special ordered it from a book store near where I work and have been asking every day about it. I think they hate me now :D
Queen_Serenity
Kakashi Stalker

Re: The Twelve Kingdoms

Post by Queen_Serenity »

Deadly Whispers wrote:I began watching the anime because there was a unicorn on the DVD jacket
lol I'm glad I'm not the only one that got sucked into it for that reason. :P I'll definitely have to check out the book. :^^:
Titania
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Titania »

I read the book back in December I think -- courtesy of a review copy from Tokyopop and loved it. I'm not a big fan of the anime (hated the first volume of the anime), but I'm tempted to give the anime a second try based on the depth and emotion of the first novel. Two thumbs way up, definitely (I can but hope TP lets me have book two when it's released ^_^).
Deadly Whispers
Wamphyri

Post by Deadly Whispers »

Titania wrote:(hated the first volume of the anime)
I'm not going to say, "Yeah, yeah, give the anime another try!" because everybody's different. But I think my reaction was kinda iffy on the first volume, too. Let's face it: Yoko isn't exactly likable at first. But toward the end of the second volume it gets . . . really good. :D And we'll leave it at that.

Okay! So I did get the book and read it over a single night (while working - this month and some odd days have been HELL). I was fascinated at the way the story came across in translation. Since I do like the anime, I was a little stuck sometimes "knowing" what was going to happen and it wasn't quite "right," but in all, I'm very glad I read the book.

To me, the original format of any story is always better. And there are so many things that can only come across in writing.

Besides, the book itself is very pretty! :D

I'm going to be left for dead waiting for volume two, though. LOL

~ DW
Titania
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Titania »

I think Yoko is FAR more likable in the novel. Much less whiny and a lot more backbone. I really think the first volume of the anime did her a disservice, character-wise.

But, to avoid spoilers for those who haven't read the book, if you want to see my full opinion on the novel, they're neatly already all encapsulated here --

http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book ... gdoms.html

^_^
Deadly Whispers wrote:
Titania wrote:(hated the first volume of the anime)
I'm not going to say, "Yeah, yeah, give the anime another try!" because everybody's different. But I think my reaction was kinda iffy on the first volume, too. Let's face it: Yoko isn't exactly likable at first. But toward the end of the second volume it gets . . . really good. :D And we'll leave it at that.

Okay! So I did get the book and read it over a single night (while working - this month and some odd days have been HELL). I was fascinated at the way the story came across in translation. Since I do like the anime, I was a little stuck sometimes "knowing" what was going to happen and it wasn't quite "right," but in all, I'm very glad I read the book.

To me, the original format of any story is always better. And there are so many things that can only come across in writing.

Besides, the book itself is very pretty! :D

I'm going to be left for dead waiting for volume two, though. LOL

~ DW