Post by Labinnah »

Indeed it does.

But jeez, I'm still gettin over the end of 10... that was rough :(
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

Labinnah wrote:Indeed it does.

But jeez, I'm still gettin over the end of 10... that was rough :(
I cried a little bit. I honestly cried. I'm looking at getting a certain panel from that in a tattoo.
God's in his heaven, All's right with the world
Labinnah

Post by Labinnah »

Edit: Um, crud... spoiler tags not working?
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

Are they working?
They seem to be working.
Labinnah

Post by Labinnah »

Weird. Well, seems to be fine now, so I'll go ahead and re-write this. Note for anyone that these are major spoilers for the end of #10 and 11, so... proceed with caution :)

Anyway, I cried too, even though the end to this wasn't quite as gut-wrenching as in the show simply because
Wolfwood got some of the redemption that he wanted. There were none of the regrets, and he went peacefully alongside his best friend. It was still terribly sad of course, especially with Vash's realization right beforehand. But there wasn't such an oppressive feeling of loss as there is in the other version, this is almost satisfying in a way, as if he was content with his fate.
But on that note, I don't see how Vash can so easily
forgive Livio, and walk alongside him after what he did to Wolfwood. Split personality or not, it's his fault that he died. And I don't know how I feel about Livio 'taking his place' alongside Vash.
And, one last thing, am I correct in understanding #11, that
Chronica another plant-person? Or that they're esablished as a species now?
It was kinda unclear, but judging how the other ship people were talkin to her, that was what I'd assumed.
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

Labinnah wrote:
But on that note, I don't see how Vash can so easily
forgive Livio, and walk alongside him after what he did to Wolfwood. Split personality or not, it's his fault that he died. And I don't know how I feel about Livio 'taking his place' alongside Vash.
I think one of vash's powers is that he can read the hearts of man.
Labinnah wrote:And, one last thing, am I correct in understanding #11, that
Chronica another plant-person? Or that they're esablished as a species now?
It was kinda unclear, but judging how the other ship people were talkin to her, that was what I'd assumed.
Yeah Chronica is another plant person. Looks like the SEEDS ships were experimental, that's why the children born there (Vash, knives and the girl) were treated as scientific experiments. But obviously earth has realized what they are and have accepted them into society :D

I've been wondering how Vash would have even a prayer of comming out victorious against knives, and now it looks like we have the answer!

Do you think that the other angels will rebel against knives somehow?
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

Also check out this thread for the #10 discussion :D

http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20458
Labinnah

Post by Labinnah »

Not Sir Phobos wrote:
Yeah Chronica is another plant person. Looks like the SEEDS ships were experimental, that's why the children born there (Vash, knives and the girl) were treated as scientific experiments. But obviously earth has realized what they are and have accepted them into society :D

I've been wondering how Vash would have even a prayer of comming out victorious against knives, and now it looks like we have the answer!

Do you think that the other angels will rebel against knives somehow?
It's an interesting question, considering we don't really know how much
'will' the Plants have, nor how much influence Knives has over the ones he's absorbed. Another thought, if Plants have been established as an equal creature among humans, then how do the free-walking ones like Chronica feel about humanity's continued use of them for power? Knives is very much right in his feelings about the cruelty of man towards the Plants, seeing how brutal the 'final run' is, and how they're forced to live out their lives in those bulbs. I even think Vash needs to open up his eyes to that fact and realize that Knives isn't -entirely- wrong.
Honestly, I'd really like to see the series end on a darker note. I know it sounds morbid, but the animated one had such a vague 'upbeat' ending and it felt like the message (which, from what I gathered was that Vash's lifestyle was impossible) was lost. The manga's atmosphere is a lot darker, I even liked that the implied love between Milly and Wolfwood in the animated series wasn't present in this. It's striving for a feeling of hopelessness, and is pulling it off very, very well.
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

Remember the time when knives was asleep and his dream was about a happier time an angel had in the energy tube (where the mother and daughter were thanking the angel and bowing)? I think that was a foreshadow of the angels having a different will than knives.

Chronica is living proof that the humans have come to terms with the angels. Maybe they found a different way to power the ships, who knows...

I'm seeing what you're seeing though. I FULLY expect Vash and Knives to be dead at the end of this.

I'm really curious about how the coins play into this now though /hmm
Man I sure am happy that I met someone else following this manga! :D
Labinnah

Post by Labinnah »

Yeah, that dream was really interesting, and kinda makes me think that they might be able to
overpower Knives at the last moment. What I was wondering though is if the Plants in that form are capable of higher thought, or if they're purely 'instinctive'. Even something instinctive could hold a memory like the one Knives saw.
In terms of the ending, yes, it's very much possible that
Vash and Knives may end up killing each other. It'd be sad, but appropriet in a way, and would certainly fit the mood of everything else so far. So many people have implyed that they are the greatest threat to mankind, and whether it's true or not, them being gone eliminates humanity's largest obstacle. With the coming of the ships, it may even be possible to grow the planet into a lush and useable environment and humans would thrive again. Heck, that would be quite an ending scene.. two large tombstones in a grassy clearing, surrounded by trees, twin suns overhead in a big blue sky. You could almost call it happy in a way, because that'd mean that Vash's wish came true, and even though he may have died, he did it so humans could live - just like Rem. It's a pleasant thought, however I just made it up, so don't expect it to happen :P Oh, and I got no idea on the box. Mystery button though, hmm...
I can't believe book #12 doesn't come out until June! Ugh! But yes, it's very nice to talk to someone about it, I've yet to meet anyone else who's kept up with the series and cares enough about it to discuss.

PS: He better not hook up Meryl and Vash. I will throw the biggest tantrum ever if he does.
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

JUNE!!!?????

crap :l
Labinnah

Post by Labinnah »

Not Sir Phobos wrote:JUNE!!!?????

crap :l
Yep, and as far as I've heard, this is a 14 or 15 book series, and the 13th one hasn't even come out yet in Japan :( We've caught up with em, unfortunetly.
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

Omg, it'll be a snail's pace now 8O
Labinnah

Post by Labinnah »

Argh, I am getting so frusterated. Seriously, I haven't read volume 12 yet (BECAUSE IT'S NOT OUT), and refuse to read it via hacked-together Japanese translations, but every other forum on the internet discussing Trigun Maximum does NOT know how to use spoiler tags. :x It's ruining the end for me, and makin me very, very mad. :evil: