What was your first manga?

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

What was your first manga?

Post by duotrouble »

As the subject line asks, what was your first manga?

I only started reading a few years ago and still haven't read that many. But believe it or not, my first manga was the same as my first true anime introduction - Sailor Moon.

The differences between what I had watched on television vs reading intrigued me enough to buy the Card Captor Sakura manga. And then I got Fushigi Yuugi, X/1999, Tokyo Babylon and the list goes on. X| :^^:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Blaster
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Blaster »

Shakugan no Shana. I enjoyed the anime, so I started buying the manga to see how it compared.
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

The beginning.....it also started with an anime

Fushigi Yugi
Basara
Rurouni Kenshin
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

Slamdunk!
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Lone Wolf & Cub
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Deadly Whispers
Wamphyri

Post by Deadly Whispers »

Heh, my first was Naruto, and it was Sith-Krillin's fault. First he made me watch the first episode of the anime. Then he brought over all these Japanese Shonen Jump and we stumbled through quite a few! I had so much fun that I think I moved to the first English books at the time, Dragon Knights, Chobits, and Ragnarök.

~ DW
crackpot27
Location: My GPS is telling me to turn and there is no road...

Post by crackpot27 »

I think mine was actually One Piece, unless you count the Shounen Jump magazines that I started with :P
jcaliff

Post by jcaliff »

Area 88, when they were being released as comic books. Also, Mai the Psychic Girl at around the same time.
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I'm not sure which manga was my first. But long ago I used to subscribe to Animanga so I ended up being able to read X, Fushigi Yuugi and Video Girl Ai since they came with it (or the free sample they sent). But now that I think about it since JWR brought it up, I perused Lone Wolf and Cub in the bookstore a long time ago in the bookstore. Not sure how far back that was though. :shrug

My sister showed me her Super Dimensional Century Orguss and Candy Candy manga back in the Seventies and Eighties, but obviously I couldn't read any of it since the text was only in Japanese. :D
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Sailor Moon. I watched the TV show when it was first on here in the USA; my friend knew how much I liked it, so gave me all of her Chinese-language SM manga (and graciously translated them for me).

After that, I got myself a subscription to MixxZine (which later became TokyoPop). At one point I had calculated that it would take them 12 years to finish translating Magic Knight Rayearth! :rollin I'm glad that manga became popular in the US, so it didn't take nearly that long.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Hmm...wait a minute. I just remembered that I bought those Akira and Magnetic Rose English graphic novels back in the ?mid/late 1980s.

I know I bought that Magnetic Rose graphic novel before that "The Royale" Star Trek the Next Generation episode aired because I can recall how similar the two stories appeared to me. And "The Royale" aired March 27, 1989:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/The_Roy ... episode%29
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

Clover - it had those pretty slip covers! Then I moved onto Wish and other CLAMP.
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

The first Manga I read were BAOH, Crying Freeman, Guyver, Lone Wolf and Cub, Orion, Ranma 1/2, and Sanctuary. I’m not sure which one I looked at first. I was either in Middle School or High School, and they were all being traded back and forth between my friends and me, along with American comics, magazines, and various other things, on our school bus ride.
samiamew
Kamisama - God

Post by samiamew »

Mine would be .....*drumroll please* Inuyasha!! 8O :P

I'm a late bloomer -- I figured out what manga was when all AdultSwim had was those first friggin' 36 episodes of IY that they played over and Over and OVER again.

I had to know what was going to happen when Kagome was taken by that 'obnoxious, cocky wolf guy' ... and some googlin' around later found me Chris Rijk's site and the rest was history ....... :^^:
litl_x
Otaku - Fanatic

manga

Post by litl_x »

Mine was Ramna 1/2, I actually watched the anime first and then had to buy the manga just to see what the ending was :wink: