So what is everyone reading lately?

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: So what is everyone reading lately?

Post by Keropi »

I haven't been reading as much manga these days. More manga titles are being picked up. I've mainly been reading translated light novels/web novels. Nearly all of them are Japanese. I think two of what I'm reading are Chinese --- "After Transformation, Mine and Her Wild Fantasy" and "The Amber Sword".

Here's my current non-H reading list and how much I've been enjoying them:

After Transformation Mine and Her Wild Fantasy-6.30 (started 4-26-16)
Altina Sword Princess-------------------------------7.20
A Realist's Kingdom Reform Chronicle------------7.20
Botsuraku Youtei Nanode,..... (Blacksmith)------6.00 (started 5-5-16)
Boundary Labyrinth and the Foreign Magician---6.20 (started 3-22-16)
Conquering Hero's Heroines-----------------------6.10 (started 4-21-16)
Eh? Heibon desu yo??--------------------------------6.20 (started 2-11-16)
Happy Life!------------------------------------------6.30 (started 5-8-16)
Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo-------------------6.40 (started 6-22-15)
Jikuu Mahou------------------------------------------6.20
Kenkyo Kenjitsu--------------------------------------6.30 (started 3-26-16)
Magi craft Meister-----------------------------------6.30
Magi's Grandson-------------------------------------6.20 (started 7-4-15)
Manuke FPS TOC------------------------------------6.10
My Childhood Friend......But That's Not All--------6.40 (started 5-29-15)
My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending----------7.20 (started 2-3-16)
My Pet is a Holy Maiden----------------------------6.00 (started 12-2-15)
Nagai Koto-------------------------------------------6.00 (started 3-6-16)
Nidoume no Jinsei wo Isekai de-------------------6.20 (started 3-16-16)
Nidoume no Yuusha...-----------------------------6.50 (started 4-21-16 read ch1-13)
1000 Homunculus Girls-----------------------------6.30 (started 2-25-16)
Other World’s Monster Breeder-------------------5.90 (started 3-12-16)
Overlord---------------------------------------------7.80
Rakuin no Monshou---------------------------------8.00 (started 1-18-16)
Sekai no Owari no Encore--------------------------6.50 (started 4-30-16)
Skeleton Knight-------------------------------------6.50 (started 2-24-16)
Skill Taker's World Domination--------------------6.00 (started 3-13-16)
Summoned Slaughter-------------------------------7.20 (started 6-9-15)
Takarakuji de 40 Oku Atattanda (4 Billion)-------6.30
10 nen goshi no HikiNEET...(My House)-----------5.85 (started 3-14-16)
Tensei Oujo------------------------------------------6.80 (started 5-30-15)
The Amber Sword-----------------------------------7.20
The New Gate---------------------------------------6.80 (started 2-14-15)
The Reincarnated Person Doesn't Want to Ch----6.20 (read LN ch7-10+ started 5-12-16)
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu-----------------7.00
Yamato Nadeshiko, Koibana no Gotoku-----------6.00 (started 3-23-16)
Yuusha no Oshishou-sama--------------------------6.50 (started 6-2-16)

Overlord's been picked up by Yen Press so I haven't been able to read the tenth volume.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Almost 2 years since I've posted on this topic.

Manga -

Currently reading -

Skip Beat!
Ouroboros - I'm really hoping that the manga doesn't go the live-action route. That was a horrible ending!
Ten Count
Nobunaga's Chef - really enjoying this manga
Oresama Teacher
Caste Heaven - My guilty pleasure
Joousama no Eshi - My other guilty pleasure
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Black Clover - I have always been a sucker for underdog heroes
Woodstock - Progress is slow with my scanlation group. Sorries.
Junketsu + Kareshi (Pure Blood Boyfriend is the licensed English translation)
Demon Prince of Momoji House
Azumi
Yona of the Dawn
Kiss Him Not Me - Horrible English title

Manhua -

Chang Ge Xing (The Song of the Long March) - Really good story. I didn't think I'd like Chinese manga but this one has blown me out of the water.

Manwha-wise -

Noblesse
Dear, Only You Don't Know
A Thousand Years Ninetails

Recently Finished (because the manga finished in Japan) -

Orange
A Silent Voice

Both of those I would recommend, especially Orange. The live action movie was pretty good too. I'm still on the fence if I want to watch the anime version. It's starting to feel like overkill.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Nobunga's Chef is great. I really like that manga too.

There's a lot of intrigue as he trying to deal properly with the historical characters.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I haven't read much manga or web comics in the past couple of years, but I did try to read a lot of web novels and light novels. The last manga I read were:

Siscon Ani to Brocon Imouto ga Shoujiki ni Nattara ----- I'm just wondering where it's going to go

Mousou Telepathy

Tanaka the Wizard ----- the manga led me to read the web novel and I'm up to chapter 157. The web chapters are very long. He's humble and not that good looking. He got isekai-ed over there. He's thinks about a lot of perverted stuff (which he never voices). It became really funny when he encountered the quiet, mind-reading girl on the dark continent.

Dolkara ----- Karate guy got killed by a truck-kun. He didn't isekai to another world....he took over a comatose Karate girl's body. He helps her because the family dojo was about to be sold off.

The web novels I'm currently reading (not many):

To Be a Power in the Shadows (keeping up with the raws):
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/to- ... e-shadows/

Atelier Tanaka:
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/atelier-tanaka/
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n2662ca/

Aragai no Historia:
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n6556ep/

Eternal D-Rank Middle Age Adventurer:
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n0608dy/

Haunted Duke's Daughter:
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/hau ... -daughter/
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n5708cr/
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Across the span of two years, it's still Keropi and I who are responding to this topic...

Manga -

Currently reading -

Skip Beat!
Ouroboros - So far, this has not gone the way of the live action route. Thank goodness!
Nobunaga's Chef - still keeping up with this
Oresama Teacher
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Promised Neverland - I look forward to the new chapter every week
Black Clover - And this to a much, much lesser degree
Yona of the Dawn
Chihayafuru
Card Captor Sakura Clear Card Arc

Manhua -

Chang Ge Xing (The Song of the Long March) - I would love to read more of this but the author apparently stopped due to licensing issues with her magazine. I really hope she one day continues the story.

Manwha-wise -

Noblesse
A Thousand Years Ninetails
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

Current focused reading:
*=<3

Arte (looking forward to the anime coming soon!)*
Dragon Half
Devils and realist*
Witch Hat Atelier (my idol)*
The Way of the Household Husband (can’t get enough of this! This needs an anime!)*
Darling wa Namamono ni Tsuki (XD)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

It's pretty crazy to see dozens of the stories that I read two to four years ago turned into manga and anime. The isekai anime are rolling out each season and viewers are getting tired of them just like the web novels readers were two to four years ago. :P

The current web novels trend are writing stories about getting even with childhood friends that treat you badly. Not sure how that came about. :?

I'm reading a few manga/web comics:

The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You -----(a harem parody)
The World Of Otome Games Is Tough For Mobs -----(enjoyed the web novel and the artwork is good)
I Brought Home A Succubus Who Failed To Find A Job
She Is Still Cute Today
Ominous Liar

I'm reading these web novels:

Otome Game no Heroine [de] Saikyou Survival
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n1391fj/

Why Is the Prettiest Girl in School Trying to Talk to a Loner Like Me during Lunch Break?
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/why ... nch-break/

Instant Death ----- (convoluted and boring sometimes, but I'm still reading it)
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/instant-death/
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n5691dd/

Seijo-sama wa Ikemen yori Undead ga Suki?!
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n0601fs/

Akuyaku Reijou, Brocon ni Job Change Shimasu
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n6255fh/

Clearing an Isekai with the Zero-Believers Goddess – The Weakest Mage among the Classmates
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/cle ... lassmates/
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n1217et/
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

Keropi wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:44 am Why Is the Prettiest Girl in School Trying to Talk to a Loner Like Me during Lunch Break?
Never fails to put a smile on my face whenever I see such long novel titles. XD
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

It's been said that they advertise the story just from explaining the premise in the title. Sometimes I can't even put in the entire novel into my bookmark because they're too long. I need to make space for my reading start date and the chapter I am up to.

I've been stuck at home. I haven't even left my property for the past week. I just haven't needed to go anywhere.

Lately I've been reading these stories with Google Translate:

Nise Seijo Kuso of the Year
type of story ----- isekai villainess gal game character, misunderstandings, overpowered, saint, mostly comedy
https://kakuyomu.jp/works/1177354054894002394

This story is quite fun. The contrast between what she's thinking and what the other characters are thinking is hilarious.

Tearmoon Teikoku Mongatari (Tearmoon Empire Story):
type of story ----- villainess (sort of), misunderstandings, return to past to change the future, mostly comedy
https://j-novel.club/c/tearmoon-empire-volume-1-part-1
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n8920ex/

Didn't like this one as much as the first, but I'm up to chapter 103 and still going. I'll see how it goes. There are 393 chapters so far.

EDIT:

Here's a long title I started reading "Reincarnated in Magic World so I'm Gonna Enjoy it Fully. ~I'm not Interested in Becoming a Villainess so I Alter the Scenario"

http://ncode.syosetu.com/n8565fw/

EDIT 2:

I stopped reading "Reincarnated in Magic World so I'm Gonna Enjoy it Fully. ~I'm not Interested in Becoming a Villainess so I Alter the Scenario" after 41 chapters because her family became too annoying with their antics.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Figure it's time for my 2 year update..

Manga -

Currently reading -

Skip Beat!
Ouroboros - I'm glad it didn't go the same route the live action did, but it feels like it's dragging as the end is nigh.
Nobunaga's Chef - still keeping up with this
Oresama Teacher - I have a big backlog on this series :x
Parasyte Reversi
Azumi
'Tis Time for Torture, Princess - Was worried this would be an ecchi series, but it's quite clean and comical..
Yona of the Dawn
Chihayafuru
Card Captor Sakura Clear Card Arc

I really need some new additions. It's hard for me to get into licensed titles simply because the localization takes forever. I get that Covid has slowed everything down, but when you're waiting close to a year for something that has been out in Japan for years, it's frustrating.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I haven't read any manga lately so I'll post webnovels I've read lately:

Check out how long the titles are! 8O

Tearmoon Empire Story
I want the saints of the previous life to cut their hands
Friend characters should live in peace
The girls who gave me trauma flicker, but unfortunately it's too late

It seems that I was arguing about the best girl in school before I knew it ~ When I talked to my counselor who I was working part-time with, she started to get shy for some reason

Silent Princess and Black Cat Abolish the Engagement
My childhood friends were stolen and I was invited to a saint party.
Exile villain, now under surveillance!
Childhood Friend's Promise-A childhood friend who has laughed at me because I'll never love you-
The Sword Saint childhood friend hits me hard with power harassment, so I decided to insulate and re-enter as a magic swordsman in the frontier.
I'm not even an otome game mob
Since I was reincarnated, I will try various things that are likely to be in the game
Friends who have been good friends for a long time now reign in the top of the school caste.
Tradesman A really wants to save the villain daughter [complete guarantee]

When I kept glaring at a handsome college student who was longed for by a childhood friend, I was misunderstood and liked by a beautiful Oneesan.

Office worker becomes a high school student. 〜25-year-old office worker, possessed by high school students with force majeure, so making good use of social know-how

Girlsmonster (Garumon)
Being late to marry in the reverse world, S-rank female adventurers are under pressure
I, an S-class knight, was appointed as the captain of an elite unit, but all of my subordinates were older S-class female knights.
If you mine for a lifetime with VRMMO, you might get transferred to a similar different world
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I've read more manga than usual the last several months:

Sousou no Frieren

Sill enjoying this one. Her extremely long life span is an interesting point compared to time passing by around her. It's bittersweet seeing how deceased people she knew in the past affects her decisions in the present. This manga won an award recently and is popular enough to be adapted into an anime someday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fukushuu o Koinegau Saikyou Yuusha wa, Yami no Chikara de Senmetsu Musou Suru
Alternative : The Hero Who Seeks Revenge Shall Exterminate With Darkness; The strongest brave who craves for revenge, extinguish with the power of darkness.

This is probably the craziest revenge story that I've read. There aren't a lot of really angry revenge main themed stories in Japan, but this is one of them. Redo of the Healer was angry and messed up, but I think this one is crazier. It's bloody and gory and the bad guys are completely evil. They kill, torture and dismember innocent people and children. There isn't the H stuff that Redo of the Healer had, but there is quite a bit of nudity in it. It's quite gory. It feels more like horror sometimes. Made me feel a little ill reading it. It doesn't seem to have a lot of plot to it besides him showing up and doing revenge stuff. There are a lot of flashbacks showing how bad the villains were. I like the art, but this is obviously not for everyone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kubo-san Doesn't Leave Me Be (a Mob)

On the other side, I thought this manga was pretty sugary cute. I like the artwork. This isn't like the other "teasing girl" stories because she doesn't tease him as badly like they do. It's more of a light hearted and cute thing. I thought I'd stop reading it shortly, but I went through quite a few dozen chapters in a day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Villaness Reverses the Hourglass (web comic)

I really liked the artwork for this. The main character and the dresses are amazing! It's about a woman who is executed and reverses time back to when she was younger to get revenge on those who treated her badly (especially her sister). The antagonists aren't very smart, but it's quite fun reading this and looking at the beautiful artwork. I read some of the web novel, but lost interest after awhile because the antagonists hang around so long and are really annoying.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SSS-Class Suicide Hunter (web comic)

I liked the artwork of the web comic. The characters look great! I read on with the web novel, but lost interest shortly after. It wasn't that interesting to me after it went on further. Not seeing the artwork for those parts made it less interesting. A lot of people liked how the story started, but not the later parts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nihonkoku Shoukan

It's about the entire country of Japan being transported to another world. I like how it started, but it got weirder as it went along and I lost interest in it. The artwork for the JSDF equipment is good however. This was an adaption of the web novel. If you don't take the story seriously it works out better. It was too random for my taste.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete

This is a very ecchi, comedic magical girl story where a girl who likes magical girls gets recruited unknowingly to be the villain that the magical girls fight. She ends up liking her job more than she thought she would.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parallel Paradise

I think this was by the Elfen Lied author. This has a LOT of H stuff in it, but I want to see how the story turns out. Are we going to have a big tragedy at the end?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Red Ranger Becomes an Adventurer in Another World

This is about the Red Ranger going isekai to a fantasy world and acting like himself comedically freaking out the other world's residents.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The King of Fantasy: Iori Yagami in another world ~Remember me when you look at the moon!

I found this to be a pretty funny manga about Iori Yagami going isekai and acting as the same difficult to get along with person that he was in the game. It was a fun tribute to his character.

I think those were all of the manga/web comics that I enjoyed the most over the last seven months.
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

I've recently tried picking up Kyokai no Rinne again (only made it to volume 18 before I gave up several years ago), but it feels like such a chore. It's super episodic and repetitive in my opinion. How many times are they going to tell us that Rinne is poor, that you can't see him when he is wearing the haori, that normal people can't see ghosts? I swear they mention these things at least once every chapter. We get it, and if we don't, it's OK, I promise we'll figure it out, you know? I normally enjoy Rumiko Takahashi's stuff, but this one is wearing me out.

Jellyfish Princess is great, though. I plowed through that one very quickly. There were some things that really bothered me about it, but otherwise, it was refreshing. Being an underdog, myself, I couldn't help but relate to Tsukimi.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I have been reading more of the light novel books rather than any manga lately. They give a lot more detailed info to the stories that get rushed over or dropped completely in the Animes or mangas as well as some that continue the story after the anime stops. The only Manga we keep up with are Ancient Magnus Bride & A Brides Story.

I am currently reading Overlord , Re-Zero , Wolf & Parchment & Accel World
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison