So what is everyone reading lately?

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: So what is everyone reading lately?

Post by Keropi »

Since January I started on:

Antimagia
Minimum ------------------------ pretty ecchi, but it does have some kind of a weird Video Girl Ai story to it
Nisei no Chigiri
Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! - Miu-sama no Iu Doori --- the Miu centered manga. This ones a shoujo manga
Seiketsu no Haguruma --------- blue bloods versus the red bloods
8.1 Yamada Yuusuke Gekijou -- more death games X|

I've been enjoying these the most lately:

To Love Ru Darkness
Last Inning ----------------------------------------- that guy shows up to cause trouble
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun ------------------------- another interesting story arc. It's not looking good for Mikoto
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia ----------------------- so I guess the manga is going to go on longer than we thought
Boukyaku no Haou Rolan -------------------------- that was some serious butt kicking in chapter 10. Shion is deliciously evil.
Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai
Btoom! ---------------------------------------------- death games
Kono S wo, Mi yo! ---------------------------------- reaching the dramatic ending
World God Only Knows ----------------------------- this arc is dragging, but I'm still interested in it
Drifters ---------------------------------------------- it's a lot of fun seeing these historical figures fighting each other. Good fun.
Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica - Eternal White -- the story finally got interesting
Ashita Dorobou
Kimera
Witchcraft Works
Shoujo Gensou Necrophilia ------------------ they are catching up to him
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei -------------- I could see this one getting an anime someday too
Classmate, Kamimura Yuuka wa Kou Itta -- this is interesting because I have no idea where the story is going to go

EDIT:

Oh yeah...and the web comic Tower of God too. /no1
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Wow...been almost five months since I posted my current list. Every time I think I'm heading towards exclusive reverse harem type stories, I pick up a psychological thriller or a fun shonen title. So all of the manga I read more or less fits into all three genre.

Manga-wise (new titles in bold) -

Kurobara Alice
Vampire Knight
Skip Beat!
Bleach
Barajou no Kiss
Blue Exorcist
Akuma to Love Song (Devil & Her Love Song)
Addicted to Curry
Switch Girl!!
Kokou no Hito
Liar Game
Mangaka to Assistant-san
Magico
Hadashi de Bara wo Fume
Dawn of the Arcana
Shinobi Life
Alyosha
Holyland
Two Flowers for the Dragon
Black Bird
Kurogane
Sugar Dark
Uchuu Kyodai
Sailor Moon
Oresama Teacher
Dokuhime
Sengoku Strays
Bonnouji
Woodstock
Moon Edge
Chihayafuru
Junketsu + Kareshi
- Oh, Aya Shouto...why must you draw such delicious bishies...? And why must you release the tankobons quarterly..?!

Manwha-wise -

Noblesse
Dear My Girls
Bride of the Water God
Deliquent Cinderella
Absolute Witch
Today's Department of Sentimentality

Finishing up Absolute Witch. My only complaint is that the story jumps around a lot. One second it's Kaylus, and the next page we're focused on Aine. Artwork is very beautiful, but, the lack of fluidity does detract fro the story.

Fairy Tale for the Demon King was good until the author decided to make a sequel. I really don't understand what's going on now.

Thought the ending of Enigma was a let down. It was a great story up until the last two chapters when everything abruptly ends and it's all peachy without any explaination. Next to deus ex machina tricks, I really hate endings like this.

Wolf Guy Ookami no Monshou was probably the best of the titles I've finished recently. If you can get past the graphic nature of the manga (lots of NSFW stuff..actually, it's all pretty much NSFW), it's a solid story with a happy ending.
Well, minus the part about the teacher getting gang raped and having that streamed on the internet...and her student gets shredded....but, at least they end up together.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Eighty percent of the manga I'm reading is because of the female character(s) that are in those manga. :D

Unfortunately I dropped Magico because it didn't interest me enough. I'm still reading Alyosha, but it doesn't interest me as much as when it first began.

Since April 18th, I've started on:

Akame ga Kill! --------------------------------the fighting and the politics remind me of Witch Hunter. Akame sort of reminds me of Eve from Needless
Date A Live
Ojou-sama wa Nigedashita
Perowan! - Hayashinasai! Goshujinsama --ecchi
RealPG -----------------------------------------this is very much like Sword Art Online. The characters get stuck in a life and death RPG game
Tadashii Kodomo no Tsukurikata! -----------cliched premise, but I'm not expecting much. It sounds like a gaming premise
Ware ha Kenou!! ------------------------------too bad the manga is only three volumes

I've been enjoying these the most lately:

Anagle Mole ------------------------------------I like the latest turn of events
Aphorism ---------------------------------------psycho, contest game violence
Ashita Dorobou --------------------------------they finally explained what is going on
Carnivorous Princess Yegrinna ---------------fun stuff
Classmate, Kamimura Yuuka wa Kou Itta
Gunka no Baltzar
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
Isuca
Kimera
Last Inning
Not Lives
Sexless Friend ----------------------------------from the Tonagura mangaka. It's kind of cute.
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Tokyo ESP
Tokyo Ravens -----------------------------------I like his familiar :D

I'm reading (or trying to read) these manga:
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Terenc ... =0&order=1

I have these on hold:
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Terenc ... =3&order=1

EDIT:

I keep forgetting to include the web comic "Tower of God" in the list of what I'm reading.

"Akame ga Kill" sure has a big discussion going on for it. There was a lot to read...a lot of it being spoilers. :?
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Betrayl Knows My Name
Vampire Knight
Fushigi Yuugi Genbu - The next volume is finally coming out in September after what, a 2 year wait. 8O :bounce

Anyone know where I can get a copy of Ghost Hunt vol. 8? I have 1-11 but I'm missing 8. I can't find it anywhere. :l And I refuse to pay $50+ for it.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Thanatos
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Thanatos »

A few new manga:

- Dracu-riot: Until now, only the pre-serialization and the first chapter are available, so it is hard to say anything about it.

- Dakara boku wa, H ga dekinai: a classical ecchi comedy. I think I will watch the soon-coming anime.

- Rosario + Vampire

- Shakugan no Shana
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I'm also enjoying Dracu Riot and Dakara boku wa H so far. They (Dakara boku wa H) make a cute couple. :)

I've also liked these lately:

Kirikagohime to Mahou Tsukai (One Shot)
Koisome Momiji

I was glad to hear this week that Btooom is going to be turned into an anime. That ecchi merchandise for it is embarrassing however.

Teiden Shoujo to Hanemushi no Orchestra --- is still pretty enjoyable. This is like a Mother's Day manga :D
Boukyaku no Haou Rolan ------------------------ I'm curious about this test he has to take

The last chapter of Tower of God (vol 2 ch 19) was really good! I didn't think the writer was going to build it up to the point he did.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Currently reading -

Manga-wise (new titles in bold) -

Kurobara Alice
Vampire Knight
Skip Beat!
Bleach
Barajou no Kiss
Blue Exorcist
Akuma to Love Song (Devil & Her Love Song)
Addicted to Curry
Switch Girl!!
Kokou no Hito
Liar Game
Mangaka to Assistant-san
Magico
Hadashi de Bara wo Fume
Dawn of the Arcana
Shinobi Life
Alyosha
Holyland
Two Flowers for the Dragon
Black Bird
Kurogane
Sugar Dark
Uchuu Kyodai
Sailor Moon
Oresama Teacher
Dokuhime
Sengoku Strays
Bonnouji
Woodstock
Moon Edge
Chihayafuru
Junketsu + Kareshi
The String Dolls - Cat/Mouse game revolving around a downloadable app. Very interesting.
Ore ga Akuma de, Aitsu ga Yome de. - Demon failure lands on earth hoping to make a contract and get his first soul. Ends up making a contract with a 5th grader. Her wish - To marry him. Hilarity ensues. Not ecchi (which is good..cause..that would be kinda creepy).
Baketeriya - High school student ends up helping a slew of youma. Kinda reminds me of Ge-Ge-Ge no Gitaro
Aries - Old school manga. Reincarnation of Greek Gods interacting in a modern environment.

Manwha-wise -

Noblesse
Dear My Girls
Bride of the Water God
Deliquent Cinderella
Absolute Witch
Today's Department of Sentimentality

Happy to see that new chapters of Shinobi Life are available. It's always hard when a title has been discontinued in your country when the story has yet to be fully translated in your language.
Promethium
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Promethium »

cutiebunny wrote:Aries - Old school manga. Reincarnation of Greek Gods interacting in a modern environment.
Aries!! *gasp* 8O I totally forgot about this series! Loved it, especially the Demeter & Hades chapters. Was a childhood favorite. It was one of those series that I didn't want to end. Thanks for sharing and hope you're enjoying it. :)

On the other hand, I wish Ouke no Monshou, another old school manga would end already! The author is in her mid 70s and there's absolutely no sign of it ending anytime soon. X|

New series I recently picked up and recommend are...

Yume no Shizuku, Ougon no Torikago
Hoozuki no Reitetsu
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I haven't read as much manga lately. I just haven't had the time. By necessity I've been mainly sticking the ones that I already knew about instead of beginning new titles. I've caught up somewhat in the last two weeks or so.

I ran across another OreImo joke while skimming "Hokkenshitsu":

New manga that I begun that I've enjoyed the most since the last time:

Area D --------- this is a little like "Deadman Wonderland" with the character powers in prison story, but I've liked it so far.
Shindere Shoujo to Kodoku na Shinigami ---- I like the relationship between the two main characters. It's heartwarming.

and to a lesser extent I liked these:

Again!! -------- reliving their High School Days, but doing things differently. That one girl is tremendously hard headed though. It's annoying.
Manken -------- a female manga-creating school club
Ore ga Doutei o Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite -------- another return to High School story, but this time it's to prevent his High School friend from hating him in the future.

Others I've enjoyed the most lately:

Last Inning --------------------------------- Koshien is about to begin
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Shinigami-sama ni Saigo no Onegai wo
Ashita Dorobou
Boukyaku no Haou Rolan
Isuca ----------------------------------------- yeah, I agree. The best looking grandma around. :D
Crime Zone ---------------------------------- very violent
Akame ga Kill!
Let's Lagoon --------------------------------- this is turning into a time jumping romance story
Drifters --------------------------------------- time for the dwarves to get in on it :D
Tokyo ESP
Jin
Boku to Majo no Jikan ---------------------- this series has an odd sense of humor
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Shoujo Gensou Necrophilia ----------------- He's really falling into a dark place.
Tokyo Ravens

Before I didn't see much comparison between "The Strings Dolls" and "Mirai Nikki", but the last three chapters has changed my mind on that. The way they fight, plan and strategize, the plot twists...there are definite similarities between the two. But it looks like The Strings Dolls only lasted for fifteen chapters. I wonder if it got cancelled? It seemed like a story that was designed to last longer than that.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

"Cyber Blue" by Tetsuo Hara, finally available in Europe :)
Readed it 3 times the first day.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

It's funny how similar manga storylines get popular around the same time. I know they're following the popular trends like American reality shows copy each other, but it still surprises me sometimes.

For example, there are at least three manga that are out right now that have the story about a guy and a girl having "pretend" dates so that they can practice romantic encounters for something else. In Koisome Momiji it's about the girl practicing for her role in romantic love film that she's involved with. There's another manga where the couple is practicing because they are shy, have some kind of stigma from their past and want to "practice" romantic stuff so they can get closer to their real love interests. The third manga is about a college student that avoids relationships, but finds that he is asked by a girl that works in a maid cafe to help her overcome her romantic difficulties. They are practicing romantic stuff too. In the later two cases, I would think they will later realize that they really meant for each other. In Koisome Momiji's case it will be about how the girl realizes how she really does like the guy in a romantic way. That manga is turning into a harem with three girls.

That Hagure Yuusha anime just came out this season. It was based off of a novel and tells the story of a hero and the Maou's daughter who go to the hero's world. There's a recent manga called Hataraku Maou-sama. It was also based off a novel. This tells how the almost defeated Maou escaped to our earth through a dimensional gateway. The Maou's assistant and the female Hero go through a portal too. It's another story about a hero and demon character in an earth-like world. There's also that other demon-hero story with the anime coming out pretty soon that is about the demon queen and the hero who decide to work together to improve both of their realms. That one doesn't take place on an earth-like planet. That manga went into so much economic theory that I didn't feel like reading it. That story is so popular it's had several spin off manga. The story has been compared a bit to "Spice and Wolf" with its intelligent banter between human male and non-human female. Whether it'll actually turn out that way is a completely different matter. :P

There are a lot of demon girlfriend storylines coming out lately too.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Current reading list

Dance in the Vampire Bund
Yotsuba
Railgun
Index
20th Century Boys
A Brides Story
Ah my Goddess
Naure no Sekai
Sankarea
Koi Neko
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Umi no Misaki
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Currently Sword Art Online and Accel World light novels.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

New manga that I started that I've enjoyed the most since the last time:

1. Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio ---------- The combination of the World War II Japanese naval ship battles and the girls that are their mental models have made this a tremendously fun series for me. Not sure why I didn't read this earlier. The manga makes me feel like buying a Heavy Cruiser Takao model kit. :D I'd really love to see this as an anime series in the future. The naval battles would be awesome to see animated.

2. Gate - Jietai Kare no Chi nite, Kaku Tatakeri ---------- this has been a lot of fun. The combination of Japanese Self-Defense Force entering a fantasy world setting has been quite enjoyable. I hope some day they'll make an anime out this. The mangaka is a former JSDF member.

3. Horimiya ---------- Been enjoying this a lot. I didn't watch the anime for it. I started it before I even knew there was going to be an anime. I like the manga artwork a lot better than the anime's. The manga designs make them look like mature seventeen year olds while the anime makes them look like the regular young anime freshman.

4. :REverSAL ---------- I like this horror game that they're forced into. It's too bad that it hasn't been translated more though. :(

5. Sexual Hunter Riot ---------- The entire premise is ecchiness, but it's still funny.
6. Centaur no Nayami ---------- Slice-of-Life with centaur students and non-regular human beings attending school. The first chapter is a weird topic, but the rest of it is more "normal".

Also enjoyed, but to a lesser extent:

Ore ga Heroine wo Tasukesugite Sekai ga Little Mokushiroku!? (crossing into several game worlds in succession), Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara (anime announced recently), Josei Danshi, Seirei Tsukai no Kenbu (the second version of the manga), Seirei Tsukai no Kenbu and Sherlock - Pink Iro no Kenkyuu (because I haven't seen any of the live action TV series)

Been enjoying the most lately (excluding the manga mentioned above):

Akame ga Kill! ------------- Another tight fight. Looks like more main characters are going to die again.
Ashita Dorobou ------------ The story has turned melancholy recently
Break Blade ----------------- They just can't get away can they?
Crime Zone ----------------- This manga is really violent, but I like it.
Drifters ---------------------- Still going strong
Gunka no Baltzar ----------- Interesting military politics in the age of the horse.
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha --- I like the recent turn of events. They're developing that "other" relationship. An anime was announced for this too. \o/

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei --I like kick butt main protagonists :evilblk
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun -- I like this story arc more than most. It's more unpredictable and mental.
Tokyo ESP ------------------- Is this the final showdown coming up?
To LOVE-Ru Darkness
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Yasashii Sekai no Tsukurikata --- Something is not right about that mother. She's not all there in the head. :puzzled
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Horimiya chapters 10 and 11:

The tenth chapter was centered on Miyamura and his thoughts while chapter eleven was centered on Horimiya. I liked how they switched perspectives.
Gee, I really wasn't expecting Hori to openly object to Ayasaki asking her about making Miyamura her boyfriend. Such an unexpected reaction - especially for a shounen manga. I haven't read many manga where there's an understated relationship like this going on. In that respect this manga is a little like the manga "Bonnouji" when it first began. They start off slowly and build up from there. ^_^