So what is everyone reading lately?

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: So what is everyone reading lately?

Post by Keropi »

New manga that I started that I've enjoyed the most since the last time:

1. One Punch-Man ----- I've been enjoying this one a lot. It's my favorite super hero parody manga. It's quite funny. I was laughing a lot while reading it. He's so powerful that he take out villains with one punch and that's where a lot of the humor comes from. He's bored because there are no challenges in his life. :D

2. Hinamatsuri ----- Lots of dry humor as a yakuza guy tries to be a foster father to an eccentric girl with psychic powers. She and her friends gets into a lot of strange situations.

3. Tsuki Tsuki ----- It's an unbashed regular harem manga, but the wisecracking jokes are much better than most manga of it's type.

Enjoyed to a lesser extent (new):

"Shishunki no Iron Maiden", "Uwagaki", "Gachirin ni Kiri Saku", "Beatless - Dystopia" and "Haru no Houtai Shoujo"

Been enjoying these the most lately (excluding manga mentioned above):

Break Blade
Classmate, Kamimura Yuuka wa Kou Itta.
Gate - Jietai Kare no Chi nite, Kaku Tatakeri
Gunka no Baltzar
Hitsugime no Chaika
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Renai Shimasen ka?
Rising x Rydeen
Sexless Friend
Tokyo ESP
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Nobunaga no Chef --- a mix of cooking and Nobunaga's historical events
http://myanimelist.net/manga/49293/Nobunaga_no_Chef

Evergreen --- a lot of melodrama and romantic misunderstandings
http://myanimelist.net/manga/30595/Evergreen

Torikago no Tsugai --- another survival game manga
http://myanimelist.net/manga/42005/Torikago_no_Tsugai

Jigoku no Alice --- it's about a sniper living in a desert region
http://myanimelist.net/manga/21665/Jigoku_no_Alice

Sky Blue
http://myanimelist.net/manga/32233/Sky_Blue

Abnormal-kei Joshi --- a lot of abnormal people in an abnormal guy's harem
http://myanimelist.net/manga/41773/Abnormal-kei_Joshi

Enjoyed to a lesser extent (newly read):

Darwin's Game, Strike the Blood, No Game No Life, Ani ga Imouto de Imouto ga Ani de and Te to Kuchi

Boukyaku no Haou Rolan
Horimiya ----------------------------- now they're really not sure what to do with the other
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei ----- more action
Gunka no Baltzar -------------------- looks like direct conflict is inevitable
Jin ------------------------------------- more medical mysteries to solve
Boku wa Mari no Naka --------------- another mental story from this mangaka
Haru no Houtai Shoujo -------------- too bad not much of this is out yet
Uwagaki -------------------------------a clone romance story :)
Black Bullet --------------------------- I have a feeling this will be turned into an anime later on
Ore ga Doutei ------------------------ he's trying to prevent himself from being killed by trying to AVOID going out with the female characters

I was happy to hear that Tokyo ESP,, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Tokyo Ravens and Strike the Blood are going to be turned into anime. Tokyo ESP could be fun with that Heroes kind of premise. It is a bit like that with bunch of people getting powers and all, but there's a lot of humor in it too. Arpeggio of Blue Steel doesn't have a good ending point so they're probably going to have to make one up.

The anime preview for "Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai" (Unbreakable Machine Doll) has the characters looking a lot softer and younger. I think they were going with the novel's artwork instead of the manga's. The characters look like the OreShura anime because it's the same character designer. Aw...there's too many anime to look forward to coming out in the future.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Murasakiiro no Qualia -- a fascinating little story about alternate timelines and perceptions.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/51493/Mura ... _no_Qualia

Hana to Hoshi -- a nice, short shoujo-ai story that is a bit more subtle than most of the others I've run across.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/36531/Hana_to_Hoshi

Masamune-kun no Revenge -- a somewhat different type of boy-girl story (if you can stand the characters that is). The artwork is great.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/46716/Masa ... no_Revenge

Aiyoku no Eustia -- this has a better, more mature storyline compared to most erogames. The artwork is good too.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/37753/Aiyoku_no_Eustia

Tokage no Ou -- I enjoyed the psychotic yangire in here, but the manga ended only one chapter after the novel's prologue ended. Too bad. I wanted to see more twisted stuff! :(
http://myanimelist.net/manga/37543/Tokage_no_Ou

Soukyuu no Lapis Lazuli
Absolute Duo --------------------------------------------------action manga
Shinonome Yuuko wa Tanpen Shousetsu wo Aishiteiru -- another "practice being your boyfriend" manga
Shinmai Maou no Testament ------------------------------- another demon girlfriend manga
Doubt ----------------------------------------------------------a more enjoyable version of "Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!: Ani, Imouto, Koibito"
Magdala de Nemure-------------------------------------------Spice and Wolf writer's new manga. It's another economics driven story.
Seiten no Hekigan --------------------------------------------an alien girl, slice-of-life story

Honorable Mentions:

Fate/extra, Kisei Kanojo Sana - Parasistence Sana, citrus, Oukoku Game (yandere), Kasane (evil), Kenshin no Succeed (the premise makes me laugh), Yuujou Kakin Karman Gain (another death game manga).

Lots of new manga with good artwork coming out lately. 8O

One Punch-Man and the original ONE webcomic-----great fun
Boukyaku no Haou Rolan
Horimiya
Luck Stealer
Yasashii Sekai no Tsukurikata
Gunka no Baltzar
Jin
Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite (male yangire)

Manga that I like that were recently announced as being adapted into anime ------- No Game No Life, Seikoku no Ryuu Kishi, Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dancer and Mahou Sensou. :yay
Last edited by Keropi on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I'm up-to-date with the Karneval manga. The last chapter was pretty docile, nothing really happened. :p But it seems to be working up to something, maybe.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Girls of the Wild's (webcomic/manhwa) ----- I didn't think I would like this, but it turned out more fun than I thought.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/45275/Girls_of_the_Wilds

Kyokou no Ou ----- too bad this is only three volumes long because it's quite interesting
http://myanimelist.net/manga/29601/Kyokou_no_Ou

Wrestle! The Under Ground --- a fighting fanservice/action manga
http://myanimelist.net/manga/20066/Wres ... der_Ground

Sakurasaku Syndrome ---- nice shounen romance manga. The girl is the clueless one this time.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/56955/Sakurasaku_Syndrome

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru no Darou ka ----- an RPG style story with some differences.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/57239/Dung ... o_Darou_ka

Girls Go Around ----- a time travel type of story
La Vie en Doll ----- by the Btooom mangaka
ib: Instant Bullet ---- this reminds me of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer (except the guy really is darker)
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Kyuukousen-hen ---- another Rettousei manga

Nobunga no Chef ----- this manga is great! They turned it into a live action TV series too
Gunka no Baltzar ----- time for war preparations
Iris Zero --------------- the manga finally returns after a year and a half layoff
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun ----- I like the new character
Gate: Jietai Kare no Chi nite, Kaku Tatakeri ---- don't mistreat bunny girls :hurt:

Manga that I like that were recently announced as being adapted into anime ----- Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei and Black Bullet. These were both pretty obvious because I think they both have high novel sales figures. It should be good seeing both of them. :)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I'm actually reading the new translation of Shigure Mizuki's Showa: 1926-1939, originally published in 1988-89 and winner then of the Kodansha Manga Award. It's a critical, anti-romantic history of how Japan was drawn into becoming an imperialist power in Asia, leading up to its entry (on Hitler's side) into World War II. Interspersed are episodes from Mizuki's childhood and early adulthood, showing how these historical events effected (or didn't affect) the common person.

Mizuki is best known for Hakaba no Kitaro (anime: Gegege no Kitaro), a series based on Japanese supernatural folklore. The folklore/supernatural theme intrudes from time to time, but mostly through the use of Nezumi Otoko, the amoral trickster "Rat/Man" from GGGnK as the overalll narrator and critical commentator on the historical events narrated.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Is anyone reading any webcomics such as:

Tower of God
The Gamer
Girls of the Wilds
Accord
Banquet Box
Magical Exam Student
ONE or ONE Punch Man (Murata Yuusuke)
Ore to Hero to Mahou Shoujo

Just wondering. It's hard to find anyone I know that is reading the same things that I am. :D
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

The "World God Only Knows" manga has come to an end. I have been reading this manga since September 2008. It was a nice ending.

Not much of a spoiler, but I'll put it spoiler tags in anyway:
It was a happy, but bittersweet ending. You're not going to have a completely happy ending with that many female characters around, but I like how it ended. I approve of this ending. I like the nice twist that they had in the last fifth of the manga. It went all the way back to the start of the series and I like when they pull these types of twists. This is certainly not my favorite manga. It's not even close, but it was entertaining for most of it's run. Reading about characters for five and a half years makes you feel like you grew with them. I will be sorry to see them go. I feel bad for some of the characters, but there's not much you can do about it.
I give the manga a 7.00 MAL enjoyment rating. It was a satisfying manga ending and I just don't see many of those these days. Usually manga end too early and rarely have decent endings anymore.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

A full two years since I've posted on this topic. Wow...Seems like the amount of manga I'm reading has also decreased.

Currently reading -

Skip Beat!
Ouroboros
Liar Game
Oresama Teacher
Sengoku Strays
Bonnouji
Woodstock
Junketsu + Kareshi
Kataribe no List
Dolls Code
Azumi

Manwha-wise -

Noblesse
Dear, Only You Don't Know
Bride of the Water God
A Thousand Years Ninetails
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I've been reading a lot of manga/web comics that are about:

1. "guy with uncommon power ability starts to attend a high school of super powered students"
2. "guy with some kind of game-like ability"
3. "Some version of a story involving Heroes and Maous"
4. "Death Games"

The Gamer web comic is still doing alright. He's grinding and gaining new abilities. Tsuyokute New Saga is about a guy who gets a game restart trying to fix the continental disaster that occurred by going back in time several years. It could turn out pretty interesting.

Re: Monster is about a guy that resurrects as a goblin after he got killed by a yandere. He has the ability to gain other creature's abilities by eating them. The manga just started but the original story has gotten quite far. He starts off powerless and becomes more and more powerful in a very short time. The story is gritty and crude, but it's quite fascinating to me the way it's told. There is a HUGE amount of discussion going on about this story.

World Customize Creator is another new manga about a guy who can use game-like abilities in a fantasy world. Zero no Shiniki is another manga about being trapped in a game. There's a new manga called Gunjou Senki in which an entire class of (sports school) students get transported to the sengoku era and take part in the fights (that should be interesting later on).

Mokushiroku Alice seems to have tried to do a lot of things backward and I like that. The motto of the manga is Let's kill the girl to save the world!

There are just too many interesting stories to read. :bounce
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I've been reading the manga adaption of the light novel "Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut".

The story seems to be about a guy with a strong ability that begins at a school that mostly has girls in it. Girls are more adept at using these small mecha devices than men are, but the main character is probably able to use one well. It starts off with the main character making the light color haired female character angry and she chases him around calling him a pervert. She then challenges him to a duel. This is becoming such a common way to begin a series like this that it's becoming quite funny.

How many of these stories have begun like this? A lot. I mean Blade Dance did most of that. Did this happen in Infinite Stratos? I can't remember. I guess this is an easy way of having comedy, fanservice, a duel and a tsundere introduction at the same time. On the other hand, it's quite predictable. Didn't this happen in Unbreakable Machine Doll too? Boy...a lot of manga have started this way and I seem to be reading all of them. :D

I wonder which manga/light novel will be adapted to anime next will begin with this situation.
eyes0nme19
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by eyes0nme19 »

Here are some of my favs that I'm currently reading...

The Breaker:New waves - martial arts
Liar Game - psychological games
Noblesse - vampires
Nukoduke! -cute kitties
Haikyuu!- sports volleyball
Yowamushi Pedal - sports cycling
The Children's Teacher Mr. Kwon - drama
Sun-ken Rock - martial arts
Shokugeki no Soma - cooking
Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School - martial arts
Gakuen Babysitters - cute babies

I'm pretty sure there's more...just don't remember at the top my head. So yeah..theres a wide range of comics here. I like to dip into many things apparently haha.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Just finished the last chapter of the Drakengard: Shi ni Itaru Aka manga that was published in Young GanGan. This was actually my first manga scanlation project to ever work on...by myself...as purely a work of love. Pretty much whatever I "get into", I will be majorly obsessing about it for months. This is one of the products.

I didn't translate the first couple chapters since another group did those before they dropped it. I took it up after Chapter 5 until the end with Chapter 21.

You can read my scanlations of both the Shi ni Itaru Aka and Utahime Five chapters here:
http://drakengard-3.com/gallery/

Plus, just by chance there are any Drakengard fans on this board, my Drakengard message board is here (which you'll recognize as the *same* set up as what we've got here!!):
http://drakengard-3.com/board/
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

The manga that I've started and been enjoying the most since July have been "Sword Art Online: Progressive", "Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari" and "Mill". "Mill" is about an eighty six year old bakeneko cat and her relationship with her current "owner". She acts like a grandmother, but has the appearance of a high school girl. "Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari" is about a group of people that are summoned to a fantasy world to become heroes for that world. The main character becomes a disgruntled "shield hero" and is considered useless on his own because he has no offensive capability.

After those three manga, I'm enjoying the comedy "Seifuku Adventure", the online game series "Online: The Comic" and the "Mushoku Tensei" manga adaption the most. I haven't gotten far enough in the others to like them as much.

Out of the other manga series that I was already reading, I've liked these the most:

Sakurasaku Syndrome --------------- it feels like the manga ended early :(
Re: Monster
Nobunaga no Chef
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio
Hinamatsuri
Darwin's Game
Oukoku Game
Shinmai Maou no Testament ----- this series is very ecchi. It makes High School DxD look non-ecchi.
Luck Stealer
Haru no Houtai Shoujo
Break Blade ------------------------- it's nice to see a chapter every four or five months 8O
Murasakiiro no Qualia ------------- this is still great
Shishunki Bitter Change -----------it's a nice gender switch manga
Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakeri --- I'm still enjoying the fantasy/modern military mixture
Clockwork Planet
One Punch-Man --------------------- this has got to have an anime someday
Jin
sensei

Post by sensei »

I'm reading the third volume of Shigure Mizuki's monumental, honest, and tremendously grim manga history of the Showa era in Japanese history. This one (1944-1953) includes Mizuki's experiences as a common soldier in the Japanese army during the collapse of their war effort in New Guinea/Papua.