Mangafox issues?

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Mangafox issues?

Post by cutiebunny »

I use mangafox to read manga online as I enjoy their set-up, but recently, I've been getting hit by viruses on their site. Oddly enough, it only happens on computers at my home, but, on the computers at work and at my parents' home, I don't have this issue.

Is anyone else having problems with this on their site? And is there a site that you would recommend for scnalations instead?
Kasi
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Kasi »

I haven't had the issue because I don't read manga online, but I've certainly heard about other people getting viruses from Mangafox.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yep...I'm having the same problem. My screen locks up I usually got a small popup that says something like "Do You Want To Leave Here and Go To Another Webpage". Then I get a full screen popup and the problems that go with it. It's very frustrating sometimes. I run my software programs a lot because of them.

I try to read them at Onemanga IF the manga I want to read are there, but usually they're not. There are other options listed here, but I haven't tried many of them:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=86713
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

What kind of hardware?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

I had to reformat last week because of them!! :evil: It was just easier to do that then clean all the crap they were leaving on my pc.

Another collector recommended Onemanga to me too. Thankfully they have the series I was reading.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

One more collector recommended Onemanga to him or her too.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Boy, that bad huh? That's messed up. I'd better be more careful then. I don't feel like starting a new HD again for the third time this year. :(

It's going to be hard finding a place to read my ecchi manga though. <--j/k :)
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

cutiebunny: your work computers are likely far better protected from viruses and other malware than your home computers. Generally speaking, because of the importance of information privacy and protection for businesses, they have very tough firewalls that will stop most of the crap from getting through.

Since I'm unfamiliar with MangaFox, does it display advertising? Perhaps you can find a way to block most of the crap from them, but allow what you want through ... ;)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

They have a lot of ads and you can see a lot of them loading as the page loads. Sometimes it really slows down page loads. Sometimes their site works better than others.

The faster you can read the page and go to the next one the better. Often if I don't read the top of the page fast enough, the screen will lock up because of the ads loading and then I can't page down to read the lower part of the page. Then that "Do You Want To Leave This Page and Go To Another" popup shows and I'm stuck and have to do a Control-Alt-Delete before a full page ad might begin to load.

How would you be able to stop the ads with Firefox?
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Well, to start, you can try some of the add-ons for FireFox to help prevent that sort of thing:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865 (Adblock Plus)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722 (No Script)

Beyond that, you can also use features like the TeaTimer built into programs like SpyBoy Search & Destroy that plop somewhat annoying pop-ups in your face every time something attempts to install itself on your machine (e.g. every time a program attempts to change your system registry). Of course, this means that it will also do this for anything YOU install as well, but it's something you may want to enable while using MangaFox, and disable after the fact. If you see no warnings while using MangaFox ... then the source of the viruses/spyware isn't likely MangaFox--they could actually be coming from other sites and just happen to present themselves while you're using MF.

There may also be firewall options as well, but those would be more difficult to implement -- and would require having a software firewall installed. ;)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Thanks Zerospace! I'll try those and see how they work. :)

EDIT:

Ah...it's working very well. I wish I had known about this earlier. :D