Question for those who have the Inuyasha series

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Question for those who have the Inuyasha series

Post by Belldandy16 »

Hi!
If you have Inuyasha manga vol 1 could you please tell me if that issue ends in a cliffhangar or not? Whats happening is i want to get my librarian to order just the first issue and i wanted to see if it ends without continuation or not (ill have to order the second volume if it does).

Also, (and this is just becuase i saw the tv show), is there any nudity in it?
i remember Mistress Centipede wasnt.... well, completely clothed in the first episode 8O (and that wouldnt be good for an elementary school X| ) LOL
THANKS! :D
samiamew
Kamisama - God

Post by samiamew »

Don't have the manga so can't advise on the cliff-hanger aspect but......

Nudity

Not that it's in any detail or much of it (or that the Dog-boy seems to notice :P ) => off-hand: Kagome swimming nakid! at the beginning of the series and Inuyasha sitting up on the cliff watching (one of my gallery banners :love: ) and other -- Peachman episode and Kagome nakid! in a vat of sake (although, I think Human IY noticed this time 8O go figure (must be a human aspect and not demon to notice someone in the buff)) :D

I don't think it's a manga geared towards the elementary school age :shrug
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

i know, its odd. we have a special supplier that we have to order our books from (they only supply to schools) and they actually have the inuyasha series in their online catalogue!
so i was like... wait so that stuff isnt in the manga?

thats why i was wondering if anyone had the issue if they could be so kind to check for me. :D

thanks!
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

If I remember correctly, not only is the same nudity present in the manga as the anime, but it is also more detailed. As in, I'm pretty sure that the anime doesn't show nipples (the women are just . . . smooth) but the manga does. I don't have the volume, but I vaguely remember reading it. Inuyasha was my first anime aside from those aired on WB (Cardcaptors, Pokemon, YuGiOh) so I remember being rather shocked. :sweatdrop

EDIT
Examples (and these are obviously scans from the American releases with retranslations--it's been flipped):

http://www.onemanga.com/Inuyasha/1/29/

http://www.onemanga.com/Inuyasha/6/04/
benten
Kamisama - God

Post by benten »

I have the first volume of the manga.

Not only is the previously indicated nudity on multiple images, including nipples on the breasts on both Kagomi and Mistress Centipede, but there is significant violence. Severed heads rolling across the floor. The crow demon emerging from the chest of a dead man (Alien, anyone?).

I'm having a hard time seeing it as appropriate to the elementary school level.

The volume ends in the middle of the story of Yura of the Hair. But it's not a cliffhanger point. The detailed summary of the first volume is at:

http://www.furinkan.com/iycompanion/manga/01.html
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

aw darn. X|
ok, thanks for your help, guys!

im wondering myself why its in our catalogue then. :?
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Belldandy16 wrote:im wondering myself why its in our catalogue then. :?
My cynical take is that it's like a lot of pop. culture, which isn't shocking to its audience (though it might be intense) and is available simply because adults haven't (yet) thought it important enough to screen carefully. Little kids learn about nipples and genitals early enough, after all, and if Freud is correct, they have the instinctive seeds of sexual desire latent in their early fantasies. A good anthology of fairy tales collected directly from oral tradition (Cinderella in America, compiled by my, alas, recently deceased colleague Bill McCarthy, is a good one) will document this: nudity, childbirth, rolling heads and all.

But the above insight is disturbing to adults, who want to self-censor the origins of sexual feelings and perpetuate an image of childhood as an "age of innocence." It isn't, of course, but when a grown-up finds such a volume in a library accessible to grade school kids, the adult will be shocked and angered and raise all sorts of hell at the school board meeting. And so (alas) if you purchase such a volume, you'll need to hide it from the grown-ups, because it's not psychologically healthy for them.

Another colleague, Josepha Sherman, compiled a very educational anthology of children's rhymes, songs, and chants, titled Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts, which includes material collected from the "innocent" age group in question. The material makes kids' interest in sexual matters pretty clear, and so it's one of the most frequently banned books in the country. The kids don't need the book -- they already know most of the rhymes. The parents are the ones who are shocked into confronting something they'd just as soon keep in the closet.

Gomenasai for such a long post. It touches a professional sore point.