Major problems coming for scanlation sites

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

iceman57 wrote:You ain't playing at all, in another thread you wrote that buy fake luxury bag is nice because it is cheaper. As you're already a part of the "free" lobby and the "fake" lobby, you can't be their lawyer representative.
No, I didn't. I suggest you re-read that thread again. The problem is that, as English is not your first language, you don't quite understand the nuances of the English language. That's why you failed to pick up on all the other sarcastic comments I've made on this thread(ie. Manga is life) and instead have gone off as if there was no sarcasm involved.

Despite being fluent in Spanish, I don't argue with people on Spanish websites. Perhaps you should take the same approach when it comes to arguing on English ones.

As for the article, I guess it's a start. Seeing how the site looks geared primarily towards Yuri/Yaoi manga, I don't think that there will be much noticeable impact. But, maybe if this website can make a decent revenue from hosting its titles, other publishers may hop aboard as well.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

cutiebunny wrote:
iceman57 wrote:You ain't playing at all, in another thread you wrote that buy fake luxury bag is nice because it is cheaper. As you're already a part of the "free" lobby and the "fake" lobby, you can't be their lawyer representative.
No, I didn't. I suggest you re-read that thread again. The problem is that, as English is not your first language, you don't quite understand the nuances of the English language. That's why you failed to pick up on all the other sarcastic comments I've made on this thread(ie. Manga is life) and instead have gone off as if there was no sarcasm involved.

Despite being fluent in Spanish, I don't argue with people on Spanish websites. Perhaps you should take the same approach when it comes to arguing on English ones.
As I'm not native english nor native american (ahoy the man of ice totem) I certainly didn't understand with enough accuracy the fact that you consider stealing of right property as being a totally normal way of life ? Is this what you mean ?... (sarcasticaly of course).

There is a thing that is called "context" and that does not require to get the 100% of transmitted message. With only 3 lines of your "amazing" celebration for free download for poor manga readers, I understood your vision of scanlation. Please be kind after the argument of "this is free for poor people" or "fake goods are cheaper than real" (another thread) or now hidding behind "you did not get my words" to find better lever to convert people to your download religion. You have to understand that download or access "free" content (is it really free flooded with tons of adds) this is nothing else than stealing intellectual property and financing mafia networks.

Coming bacy on the latest note from JWR, my girlfriend is professionnal translator for years and works daily with other language translator in book edition. I saw translation papers made by non native language persons and there are local special terms that a non native can't master easily even with a decade of work because the native language translator integrated those terms during his/her whole lifetime. Opening the access to any non professionnal translator will lower the quality of text work.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I wonder how much of the manga you would be allowed to read before the fee is charged?

Like one or two chapters?
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Keropi wrote:I wonder how much of the manga you would be allowed to read before the fee is charged?

Like one or two chapters?
European comic producer made it two years ago, you were able to read online 12 to 14 pages (approx. 15 to 17% of the comic) without any fee.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

One Manga will cease providing scanalations by the end of July.

"There is an end to everything, to good things as well."

It pains me to announce that this is the last week of manga reading on One Manga (!!). Manga publishers have recently changed their stance on manga scanlations and made it clear that they no longer approve of it. We have decided to abide by their wishes, and remove all manga content (regardless of licensing status) from the site. The removal of content will happen gradually (so you can at least finish some of the outstanding reading you have), but we expect all content to be gone by early next week (RIP OM July 2010).

So what next? We're not really sure at this point, but we have some ideas we would like to try out. Until then, the One Manga forums will remain active and we encourage all of you to continue using them. OMF has developed into a great community and it would be a shame to see that disappear.

You can also show us some love in this moment of sadness by 'liking' our brand new Facebook page. It would be nice to see just how many of you came to enjoy our 'better than peanut butter and jelly' invention.

Regardless of whether you stay with us or not, on behalf of the One Manga team, I would like to thank you all for your unwavering support over the years. Through the ups and downs you have stuck with us, and that is what kept us going.

As a certain Porky was fond of saying... That's all folks!

Time for me to go lay down and let this all sink in.

- Zabi
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Oh, is that what happened?

I was wondering why so many things showed up all of a sudden at the end there.

We'll see how the fee system goes when they implement it. I don't think I'll be reading that much because even the manga I liked reading a lot and wanted to know what happened afterward I didn't go out and buy. And I nnever found out what happened for some of them. That means much of it I was only reading because it was free.

Now that's not that way it went with anime though. When I want to know what happened in the anime I woulld often buy or rent it. I put levels of interest in buying in these categories (taking renting or borrowing out of the equation):

1. The stuff I would only buy and never get for free by downloading.

2. The stuff I would buy after being exposed to it and having seen it or read it free.

3. The stuff I wouldn't buy after being exposed to it and having seen it or read it for free.

4. The stuff I would only read or watch because it was free. In other words, I wouldn't have read or watched it if it weren't free. This means I wouldn't have spent money on it whether it was scanlated or fansubbed.

And most of the manga I've read fit the #4. category.

But I'm still curious about the pay fees for reading online though. I have enough stacks of merchandise in my room already. I'll still read what everyone has to say about different manga. I'm curious to find out what happens in some manga by reading what people say. Unfortunately it's a lot harder to do that with manga than with anime. :(
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

You would think that some entriprising manga publishing companies in both Japan and the US would, instead of trying to close it, pull a 'napster', and try to legitimize the site by charging. Onemanga has one of the largest collections of scanlations, and it would make sense for several companies to form some sort of agreement.

Would it work in the long run? Probably not. We've seen that there are still a plethora of anime torrent/streaming sites, even though CR has been around for well over a year. I'd be willing to pay a nominal monthly fee in order to use a site like OM. Hopefully, the money that I would pay would go more towards the industry and less towards paying for pesky production fees(like, paper & ink) involved in making the tankobon.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

cutiebunny wrote:You would think that some entriprising manga publishing companies in both Japan and the US would, instead of trying to close it, pull a 'napster', and try to legitimize the site by charging. Onemanga has one of the largest collections of scanlations, and it would make sense for several companies to form some sort of agreement.
I'm totally in favor of an online manga site--whether free or with a nominal monthly fee. The biggest barrier to me buying manga is that I usually just read it once; after that, it's a huuuuuuuge waste of space. But there's no way it would be as easy as Napster. You can't legitimize Onemanga--it's mostly full of fan-translated work. That would be a legal nightmare. The MP3's being shared are rarely modified in any way. Someone just ripped them from a CD or whatever. But the work that goes into scanlating? How could they just use that without compensating all of the people involved?
Ryouko
Kamisama - God

Post by Ryouko »

Speaking from a bookseller's perspective, I'm very thankful for this... even if the recession is the blame for down sales for the past two years, having a free online source for every manga imaginable could not be helping sales in the least.

Though I wouldn't have minded them being able to keep the unlisenced manga up at least. :/
Webmistress and owner of Picture Perfect:
http://www.rockman-exe.com/picture.html
http://ryouko.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
Always looking for high-quality Tamahome, Tasuki or Boshi-twin cels!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Here's another ANN story on scanlations:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... se-uploads