Web Comics, Web Novels and Light Novels

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Web Comics, Web Novels and Light Novels

Post by Keropi »

I dropped "Otome Game no Heroine [de] Saikyou Survival" because it was too much fighting and almost no Otome Game.

I haven't read many new noteworthy non-H web novels in the last two months. There's only two that come to mind.

A love consultation from a childhood friend. The other person looks like me but it seems different (Google Translated Title):
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n5817gi/
It's kind of a cute story involving a dense guy and his not-good-at-communicating childhood friend.

Shouldn't I be all alone? ~Awakening to the ability to give people gifts, it seems that my mission is to gather friends and defeat the demon king, but I do not care about that, so I will take revenge on those who betrayed ~(Google Translated Title)

To be honest I don't find this story to be that interesting except for the one area of the complete obliteration of the childhood friend relationship. It was done in such a cruel fashion that I'm just curious as to what's going to happen to the two of them later. I've read a lot of bad broken childhood friend relationships lately in web novels, but that was by far the most horrible way of ending the relationship that I've read (in a non-H/mature story). Is all of that even going to remain when story gets adapted into a light novel later on (it is getting an adaption)?

I was surprised that the author went that far. Usually with the recent childhood friend broken relationship trend they just make it a simple misunderstanding, someone was just lying to the main character or someone was being brainwashed with magic, but not for that. Anyway...I hope it gets fixed somehow even if the main character has to use time travel, induce amnesia and use holy healing to get it done. It's turning into a nightmare.

Too bad the rest of the story is so disjointed.
Last edited by Keropi on Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

After 5-6 years of Isekai web novels they are finally becoming less popular. More web novels are just straight fantasy without the isekai element in them. That's good for those who have been exposed to hundreds or thousands of isekai novels. If you can't write isekai differently or very well you might as well choose a different genre that's less repetitive.

I've been reading more romance web novels during the past month. Some of them I have enjoyed:

I'm Not Even an Otome Game Mob:
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n1313ff/
This is about a guy that isekais into an Otome Game as an apprentice gardener at the Duke's residence. The Duke's Daughter is the future villainess of the game, but he manages to change things because of his interacts with her as a child. I think it's a rather cute story. It's very dialog driven and mostly slice-of-life. There aren't a lot of big events for the characters yet, but I really like the fairly subtle relationship that he has with her through the years as she gets older.

The Girls who gave me Trauma Flicker, but unfortunately it's too late:
This one doesn't have much romance. It's more of a half comedy/half serious story about a guy with a mental block that responds fairly calmly when he feels that he's being rejected once again by a girl or woman. The mental block is explained later, but until then I find it funny how he rejects them. The childhood friend situation is funny because she tried to get a reaction from him in the first chapter by accepting someone else's confession, but she didn't get the response from him that she was expecting.

Childhood Friend's Promise-A childhood friend who has laughed at me because I'll never love you:
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n6127gk/
I like this story because of the chemistry between the male and female leads. To be honest, I didn't like it that much until chapter 13. I'm glad I kept going with it. At the beginning they talk to each other sarcastically - sort of like delinquents/yankees, but eventually things began to change. Part One is finished and I hope Part Two will be enjoyable too.

Those are my favorite three non-H web novels that I've run across on syosetsu in the past month. Web novels have been deleted from syosetsu in the past year because they were too risque. One of them is being turned into an anime and I can't read the rest of it. So stories are being separated into two categories there. There are the clean stories and the adult stories. I've noticed that there are now more stories on nocturne that are pretty normal web novels with just a little mature content in them. This will be a new thing I guess. One writer wrote non-adult story on syosetsu and them put the H-version of some chapters on nocturne. I suppose they could do that too (whichever way they want). But when their stories are listed on nocturne they are going to get much fewer hits than if they are listed on the regular syosetsu site. So the decision is - get more hits and be very clean (can't even imply much - to the point of having reader confusion) or write it the way you want and get few hits.

I'm still enjoying Tearmoon, Silent Princess and Black Cat Abolish the Engagement and I want the saints of the previous life to cut their hands.
Last edited by Keropi on Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Removed
Last edited by Keropi on Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Alright, I've found another interesting web novel in the "failed childhood friend confession / messed up childhood friend relationship" category.

Since I've started looking for web novels on my own at syosetu, I've come across:

Kenseis Childhood Friend hits with me in the power harassment---etc.
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n2029gb/
Violent tsundere loses her childhood friend (getting turned into a light novel and manga)

I was banished. In fact, I was taken out of my childhood friend's guild because of the strong protagonist
story was deleted
NTR story of childhood friend. His second relationship was getting destroyed too. I can understand why the story got deleted. It was too depressing.

The hero took my lover away and I was banished, but my experience saving skill broke and I reached level 300---etc.
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n9483ge/
Brainwashing and Fake NTR (getting turned into a light novel)

Shouldn't I be all alone? ~Awakening to the ability to give people gifts
Unintentional Mindbreak NTR - This was pretty brutal (getting turned into a light novel)

My childhood friends were stolen and I was invited to a saint party---etc.
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n2299gi/
Based off lies -- this is mostly a very fluffy story

The girls who gave me trauma flicker, but unfortunately it's too late
Blown childhood friend confession, but he has a mental blockage so he has half comedic-half serious reactions to it all (getting a light novel)

Childhood Friend's Promise-A childhood friend who has laughed at me because I'll never love you-
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n6127gk/
Fake NTR (fortunately)

I've mentioned the above web novels before, but the other day I found this:

The childhood friend who shook me is coming!
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n4408gm/
This starts with a blown childhood friend confession and switches perspectives between three childhood friends.
The girl (Kanae) thinks she like one childhood friend (Souta), but it was the other childhood friend (Yukiya) who confesses to her. She turns Yukiya down saying that she likes Souta, but immediately realizes that she doesn't feel the same way about the two of them and regrets what she said. She doesn't tell Yukiya how she really feels though so Yukiya keeps suffering everytime he sees her. Souta on the other would like Kanae to be around him to keep three other girls away from him. Souta is indecisive and can't reject any of them because he doesn't want to see anyone get hurt.
I'm curious how it will go. It will probably get turned into a light novel, The updates for the web novel will slow to a crawl and we'll never find out how it ends, but I'll probably be reading something else by then I suppose.

EDIT Sept 17 2020:

"The childhood friend who shook me is coming!" was deleted yesterday. The flaws of the story were building up over time so I'm not too surprised it got deleted. I think the third childhood friend was what killed it. He was too annoying and unsympathetic to their situation.
Last edited by Keropi on Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Now that 2020 is over, I went over my list of web novels that I started reading in 2020. I had more free time because of the pandemic:

Checked out web novels: 229

My favorite non-H web novel that I started reading in 2020. I must have liked it from beginning to later and enjoyed it fairly consistently. It can't have too many chapters that felt like nothing happened, boring and/or could be easily skipped. The obvious winner for me was:

Nise Seijo Kuso of The Year (Fake Holy Maiden Trash of The Year)
https://kakuyomu.jp/works/1177354054894002394

I like self-sacrificing, respectable, misunderstood character types and I enjoyed this one a lot. Decent ending too. It had emotional scenes I liked. It could be sad, but it wasn't to the point of ever being depressing.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

This is the longest Japanese Title that I've ever seen. They changed the title, but the original title was:

"The genius mage who supported the party to the maximum with the skill "Save & Load", for some reason it is said that it is useless to start over from the same place and will be banished ~ It is troublesome to be told to come back now What? Because I'm having a lot of fun right now"

I've gone through the top rated non-adult stories on syosetsu and there are not many otome game villainess stories there. That's good and not good. The repetitive trend has gone away, but that means that they won't adapt as many villainess stories into anime. There were a few that were actually pretty good. Well maybe someday. It's hard to do it when the genre isn't as popular as it used to be.

On Dec 26 2020, I checked out syosetu to see what the main emphasis of the story of the thirty highest ranked web novels. They were:

Broken Engagement------------------------------------------------5
VRMMO--------------------------------------------------------------1
Expulsion from Group and/or Zamaa (Serves Them Right) --12
Time Rewind--------------------------------------------------------1
Romance not in the above categories----------------------------5
Trapped in a story/otome game----------------------------------2
Isekai----------------------------------------------------------------1
None of the above--------------------------------------------------3

So at syosetu the isekai emphasis is much smaller than before. Expulsion and Zamaa is still very popular however.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I haven't found many non-adult web novels that I've liked recently, but here are my favorite non-adult web novels that I started reading from Sept 1 2020 to April 1 2021. These are the Google Translated titles and the author's headline story summaries:

Mote Mote Harem The childhood friend's silent heroine loved by the main character is fashionable and cute only for me as a mob character.

https://ncode.syosetu.com/n8856gp/

Author: Yagami Kagami

When I met her, I realized that I was a "mob character". My childhood friend, my best friend, my stepsister, everyone who likes me will like him. To the popular Harem hero, I'm a mob character and I can't stand against him ... But there was only one girl who showed a special face only in front of me. Moreover, she was the main heroine of her childhood friend, which the main character of Harem loves most. She is usually silent, but she becomes fashionable only in front of me. She only smiles at me. She loved me as a mob, even though she was the main heroine-this is my story. It is a romantic comedy of a dull mob character that tells from a meta perspective.

I am enjoying this one. I kind of figured out what the setting of the story was pretty early, but here it is:

It seems to take place in a romantic game-like setting, but with some of the characters being partially or fully self-aware. The romantic game's story gets derailed however.

I found it pretty interesting and different from the usual stories of its type. This story seems to have become very popular. It has a record number of impressions from readers. I like how it makes fun of and criticizes harem male main characters about them being dense, insensitive and deaf when they need to hear something they should hear.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For some reason, I don't get an engagement consultation because I'm on good terms with the aristocratic decree. (Short Story)
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n2375gw/

This is about a merchant's daughter who as a child becomes very close to a Count's son who is afflicted with an illness that affects his appearance. Later he is cured and a lot of aristocratic girls want to be married to him, but the merchant's daughter can't get close to him like she used to. It was a sweet story and I enjoyed it as a short story.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until an unhappy man covered in misery meets a goddess and is saved
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n4495gr/

Author: Aono Kitamori

When I was in elementary school, I was deceived by a lie confession and made a fool of my original heart. When he was in junior high school, he confessed to his childhood friend who was close to him, but he was humiliated with a rumor. Attracted by his senpai who healed his rotten heart, he went out with her, but ... he discovered that she was also with her teacher. In high school, he was betrayed and suffered a great deal of trauma. This is a story about an unfortunate man, Taiyou Nichinan, who is covered in such a misfortune and is saved by meeting a goddess.

I thought the main character might meet a real goddess, but he doesn't. The summary is talking about a woman he met. I don't know how long the story will take to get updated again, but even from what was already posted I found it interesting. It is a very good childhood friend backstabbing novel. The mental anguish is quite good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've entered the world of romantic comedy manga, so I'll do my best to make the heroine who doesn't stick to the main character happy.

Author: Shiryu

I love one romantic comedy manga. However, my favorite heroine is ... a sub heroine who will never be connected to the main character, a losing heroine. One day I was run over by a truck, and when I woke up, I became a close friend of the main character of a romantic comedy manga. Ah, maybe this is a dream. I'm dreaming of being run over by a truck. In the scene where the hero's best friend is talking alone with my favorite heroine, I possessed that best friend. I have no choice but to say to the classroom alone with my favorite heroine.

"I like you"
"Heh? What suddenly ...!?"
"I'll make you happy, so I want you to go out with me."
"What !?"

Because I thought I was in a dream, I casually conveyed my love to the heroine. Even if I wake up with this, I have no regrets ... ...... Ah, I can't wake up my dream? It's usually the next day, right? Well, maybe I've reincarnated in this character? This is a story that will surely make my favorite kuudere heroine happy.

Pretty fun as expected of a romantic manga world.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Series version] I wasn't too popular, so I consulted with my childhood friend.
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n4742gr/

Author: Left Ryu

The main character, Yuta Tsukishiro, was worried. I want to be popular, but I'm not popular. He is trying to be popular, but he is not popular at all. Even if he can get to know the girls they will soon leave. Such a sad high school boy starts a chat with his childhood friend, "Excellent grades", "Sports versatility", and "Beautiful appearance", a beautiful girl who has all three beats, Hina Tendou. .. He screams why he isn't popular. "Why! Why am I not popular!" "......... Hey. Do you really understand?" A chat-type romantic comedy woven by two people who seem to be flirting from the side.

It's the usual extremely dense main male character, but I'm still enjoying it. I feel bad for her to be honest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I [Parry] everything ~ The strongest in the world of misunderstanding wants to be an adventurer ~
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n6537fu/

Author: Nabeshiki

That is the story of the person who mastered [Parry] ────. "In all, there is no talent" A talented boy, Noor, who was judged to be so at the age of twelve, decides to train alone in the mountain where he was born and raised. If you make an effort, one day you will be yourself. He should be able to be like the protagonist of an adventure tan that he heard when he was young. With such hope in his chest, he continued to play the wooden sword in front of him with his only sword technique [Parry]. And more than a dozen years have passed ────. "Parry" Eventually, I think the man who became able to play a thousand wooden swords without swinging his sword. No matter how hard he tried, he didn't get the results he wanted. He may be about to wake up from his dreams. Still, he couldn't abandon his childhood dream and the man headed back to the city. ◇◇◇ This is a hero Tan of a man who unknowingly has the power of the world's strongest class, but defeats a strong enemy without noticing it at all.

This is about guy repeatedly told that he is not strong enough to be an adventurer because of his lack of skills. He has very few skills, but one or two of them are extremely powerful so he's not actually weak. He keeps thinking he's not that strong however. He's incredibly naive, but I'm enjoying the funny events he finds himself pulled into. I just wish the narrative wasn't quite so long winded. I'd be amused if this got turned into an anime someday.

Those are my Favorite Top Six from the past seven months.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Here are the non-adult web novels that I'm currently reading or waiting for new chapters to come out (they're on hiatus):

"Student student" ──I messed it up because it parasitized the body of a bully.
This novel is about a girl that possesses a female bully's body and proceeds to kill bullies and their families because they were responsible for her misery and her sister's suicide. This one is supernatural and is more like a horror movie. It's surprisingly violent.

King's army. You can often say "I'll forgive you when you come back"
This is a revenge zamaa story. He's kicked out of the brave party and gets revenge on them for killing his village, cutting off the limbs and killing his childhood friend. Kind of nasty this one.

Fake engagement
The reincarnated girl thinks her engagement with the prince is not real because he said he doesn't like women, but he meant the other women. She thought it was just a cover fake engagement when he really did like her. This one might be over because the setting was that she used to be a mom in a fairly loveless marriage so maybe that killed the future development. Now she wants to stay away because she thinks she's not the right fit for him mentally.

I will go back to the past and start over in order to be released from netorare harem ~ Why were my childhood friends betrayed and robbed
This one started out pretty good. He's stuck in a time loop and his three childhood friends always NTRs him for some other guys. After so much agony from trying to have it work out, but then starting the loop again he gives up and just tells them why he's acting cold. It looks like someone might have done something planning to NTR him. He has to figure out what's going on.

The beautiful high school girl next door rushes into my room for some reason---
Story of a guy and his neighbor. She comes over to his place to play video games because she wants to get away from her mother for awhile.

I'm not even an otome game mob
Main character isekai-ed into a mob character of an otome game (a gardener). I like how he gets close to the villainess even with the difference in their status (she's the daughter of the Duke).

I was asked to become a pseudo-boyfriend of a chaebol daughter-the reason I was chosen was---
I like fake girlfriend stories and it started out interesting. Ojousama doing a fake boyfriend because she'll have to marry someone after high school. At least she can do something she always wanted to do even if it's fake. Her family allows her to have a fake boyfriend and finds a suitable person at school that seems be the least likely to want to be with her romantically.

I'm a yin yang, and the contents were (actually) replaced for 5 months with a shit shit in a class I don't like. However, I'm glad I was able to return to her without being replaced by her.
Guy switches bodies with an arrogan,t handsome guy for five months trying to keep the guys girlfriends intact. After he switches back five girls are after him because he acts differently than before and acts like how the other guy used to act when he was using his body.

I've entered the world of romantic comedy manga, so I'll do my best to make the heroine who doesn't stick to the main character happy.
Guy enters romantic comedy manga and gets as a girlfriend that was the girl who couldn't be with the main character of the story.

Static electricity alone with one person ~ The child who betrayed me reigns over the top caste in high school ~
This is about a guy who helped a girl from bullying, but later she was forced to take part in bullying him. The guy got bullied by others thinking that he bullied her. She doesn't want to say anything because she took part in it too. She couldn't apologize to him because he moved, but meets him again in high school and the bullying on the main character starts again. This kind of situation would get fixed fast by talking. There's a lot of characters in anguish here.

It's too painful to go to a different world with my childhood friend who was touched----
He thinks she turned him down in his confession but she didn't. She thinks he likes someone else. A bit bittersweet, but I kind of like this sort of misunderstanding.

When I thought I was reincarnated, my family was an oversized land mine
Guy gets isekai-ed into an NTR game and overcomes the character's mental anguishes including what's left of his family. Nice character interactions.

The world's strongest S-class adventurer called Thunder Emperor, without any hesitation--
Overpowered guy at a magic/sword school. Nothing unusual here.

The girls who gave me trauma glance at me, but unfortunately it's too late
This was the story of the guy with the mental block so he keeps thinking he's rejected by the female characters including his mother and sister. Kind of funny in a bad/sad way.

Isn't it all right for me alone ~ Awakened to the ability to give gifts---
This was the guy who got completely rejected by his two childhood friends (the first one definitely did). The second one really mentally suffered because of it. It was really messed up.

I do everything [Parry] ~ The strongest in the world of misunderstanding wants to be an adventurer
Guy who thinks he's not strong even though he really is. He keeps doing national accomplishments but figures he was only working in a group so it wasn't that big of a deal.

[Series version] I wasn't too popular, so I consulted with my childhood friend
He thinks he's not popular but that's because the other girls that like him figure they have no chance because his childhood friend is so good and so completely close to him.

This world will marry (in the real world)
She's happy to be with Ralph from a game. It's silly, but she's funny.

I want the saints of the previous life to cut their hands
Reincarnated Saint who wants to remain unknown because of the dangerous mother of the prince. Then there's a nasty girl that thinks she's the real Saint.

Kensei's Childhood Friend hits with me in the power harassment
He leaves his abusive childhood friend, but later she realizes she misses him and chases after him. He disguised himself so he's harder to locate. That was the only part of the story that I really liked.

Childhood Friend's Promise-A childhood friend who has laughed at me because I'll never love you-
Very close childhood friends. That didn't realize how close they were until certain events occurred.

Until an unhappy man covered in misery meets a goddess and is saved
Now this was a very good childhood friend backstabbing novel. Lots of mental torture and anguish on both sides.

The heroines who should have helped will give back their favors with all their might.
He helps girls but doesn't want them hanging around him afterwards because he gets too much negative attention and hate.

Yamada-kun was surrounded by beautiful girl harem if he noticed with the power of the strongest devil's fascination,
He accidentally used his facination skill on several girls and has to deal with the aftermath hoping he can have a real relationship instead of an induced one.

On the day of the coming-of-age ceremony, he learns that his childhood friend has been engaged to someone.
Not sure why she's so close to him when she hasn't talked to him much since mid elementary school, but the rest of it is kind of interesting. Author should have made them very close to the sixth grade at least.

The TS reincarnated villain daughter misunderstood the work she reincarnated. Her reincarnation destination is Meriba's finest depression Yuri Game.
Guy isekais into the female main character of a depressing, apocalyptic yuri game.

Masked magician, Kirita-kun. ~ Another world interpersonal battle loved by Yandere and sleeping at night
Didn't read that far, but it seems like his calm mind ability slowly turned the other girl he isekai-ed with (the Saint) into a yandere. I think she slowly turns nutty before he realizes what's going on.

My childhood friend became a saint and entered the brave party, so I want to live quietly so as not to set a flag
This one went against the common tropes. Stuff you think would normally happen did not happen. in these types of stories. He was going to marry his childhood friend, but she went off suddenly with the brave, but later his sister is designated as a holy swordsman so she would go with the hero too. He wants to stay in the village because of his evil eye skill could get him killed by the state. The Saint returns to the village with the hero with news to give him.

These are the non-adult stories I have on my list at the moment. Less isekai and Zamaa. Less Otome Games and Villainesses. Most of them about about an interesting relationship between the characters.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

These are most of the stories I started reading 8-16 days ago. I've grown tired of reading the same old isekai, broken engagement, otome game villainesses, overpowered, reincarnation, zamaa (serves them right) stuff.

I've been going through more bad childhood friend relationship stories. :D

A childhood friend of a former ex-girlfriend who had an affair is approaching a reunion, but it is already late because another beautiful girl is also pressing
Didn't deal much with cheating ex-girlfriend and main character lets her still hang around him. Author disappeared, but it wasn't that enjoyable anyway.

How about forcibly transferring to another world to save me who was affaired by my wife and became distrustful of women?
No childhood friend, but it's kind of funny how he distrusts women so much. He treats them fine, but prefers not to be with them if possible. He's supposed to live a better life in isekai, but his thoughts are still funny to me. This story had a "this is not a hate women story" warning on it. It was about his abnormal way of thinking, but I can understand people who may not like it. He doesn't say what he's thinking except sometimes to his male friend.

She betrayed me and banished me from the party, and before my childhood friend got angry, I found her self-destructing and being sold as a slave, but what should I do?
A short story. Kind of sad what happened to her but at least it had a happy ending because it wasn't her fault.

When I meet a childhood friend who was estranged immediately after being shaken, I'm likely to fall in love with gentle words
He takes childhood friend back after she went out with someone else before. I guess this was more realistic a situation, but would you go out with someone after they rejected you for someone else once before when they had the choice in front of them. Maybe, maybe not. It all depends.

When my favorite childhood friend went out as a sword princess, she caught a handsome knight in the royal capital and came back, so I went on a solo trip
A short story. This one was pretty sad and bittersweet. He saves her from execution and it was a bit mind blowing at the end. She was about to take the blame for the royal family and she was forced to do what she did. This was painful. I don't think I could take a full length version of this (which the author is thinking about writing).

A story just to hit the author's resentment, "If you want to ban the brave party, do this much."
This was sad and bittersweet too. It started like a standard expulsion zamaa, but didn't go the way of the usual trope. Painful ending of missing something that you can never get back. Such pain inside.

Yes, let's break the girls into Yandere
This guy can do time loops and he was lonely from his family and wanted a good girlfriend, but he treated them so badly and ruined the first two girls lives because he wanted them dependent on him. He admits he was human waste after the second loop failure. The third loop went bad too, but at least he tried properly (different classmate). The stories were like watching School Days and expecting something bad to happen at the end of the relationships. Well at least he could redo it and erase the events, but it was still chilling and spooky watching everything go downhill like that.

Heroine ☆ Breakers! !! ~ The main heroine, the sub heroine, and even the mob heroine were all taken down by the brave, but I found the [true heroines]
Forgot how this went. It was way too longwinded and needed more polished writing.

The black flame messenger wants to make them smile ~ Save the heroines though they are enemy characters ~
This was a guy who became the game's antagonist, but then found that the main character never showed up. He thought he'd abandon two heroines and wait for main character to show up, but he never did. He'll have to do everything himself. This is like male version of the Otome game villainess stories.

"You are not Kami writer," he was ridiculed by his childhood friend and was shaken. Later, when I realized that the author was actually me, it was too late
This is very popular, but for me it was not believable at all as a zamaa story. How could she treat him so completely badly during his confession to her and then realize how much she likes him later? It was too much of a stretch. Later he has harem events with famous singer, seiyuu, anime female staff, etc.

A childhood friend who betrayed me wants to return to her lover. "Relieve me, I won't say it's too late now, but instead you're a servant and I'm your Master, right?"
She drops him and then her wealthy friend confesses to main character. Looks like she was tricked into thinking he was being unfaithful. This is going to be bad for her. I don't know why the title is like that.

I was shaken by my childhood friend, and when I was banished from the soccer club, I came to the point where other childhood friends would pull me off. eh? I was in trouble because I was gone, so could you come back? I don't know about that now ~

This started out decently, but ultimately it just turned into a non-fantasy version of zamaa. Instead of being kicked off the adventurer's party, the main character was kicked off the soccer team. He was the one holding the team together as a support (not the adventurer's party). Then instead of the Brave getting his childhood friend it's the soccer guy getting her. I didn't like this too much because she believed the guy way too easily with no evidence that her boyfriend was cheating on her. She didn't even know the other guy very well. Then she decides to date the soccer guy. Time passes and then she drops her childhood friend after he was upset and already knew she was dating the guy. Then later she finds out she was wrong and plans on coming back to the main character after doing it.

I, an S-class [buffer] (← unfavorable job), was taken down by a [brave man] who vowed to marry a [childhood friend] and was banished from the party to Hikikomori. ← Preferential job) is trained and nurtured.

This was more of a realistic story about him recovering pretty slowly over what happened. The Brave is not a good guy, but not over-the-top evil and super incompetent. Childhood friend is not a good person, but is not over-the-top bad either. It doesn't seem to have much zamaa. It's just a bad experience for the main character and he's trying to move on. This story was deleted by the author. Guess it was too far off from the way these stories usually go.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Here's most of what I started reading in the last 8 days:

Black Gal On a rainy day when she was cheating on me, I got an umbrella from a white high school Russian girl ~ Starting from a broken heart, a half-cohabiting international exchange life with a Russian girl ~
This was decent, but the author doesn't like posting on syosetsu so I guess I won't be reading any more of it. I wanted it to get back to the five-timing gyaru girl, but it was too early in the story for that.

The equation of summoning another world x brave man + fascination + magic eye = lowest cuckold man ... is wrong---
He supposedly had an evil eye, but really didn't. Everyone else thought that that was why the women in his party liked him so much. A misunderstanding story.

The dark fallen hero is cuckold and just wants to take revenge on the betrayal heroines
Main character falls to darkness, but doesn't seem like that bad of a person yet. In fact some people like him a lot better than the Brave party.

I was the strongest when I mastered the mysterious skill "Skill Grant", so from now on I will move only to save my sick sister--
This was a regular Expulsion story, but it hasn't been updated for nine days. It might be dead Jim.

There was used rubber in the trash can in the bedroom even though it was a long time ago. I wanted to take revenge on my wife.
Comedic misunderstanding story.

Goodbye, I loved you
This was about a guy who married his girlfriend from high school. She has an affair and he dies running away from the house. His wife regrets what happened and decides to die too. They meet again in high school back when he was about to confess to her, but he decides not to confess to her this time. His wife wonders why he didn't confess.

A story of a childhood friend who used to be a good friend with me who has loop ability
He's stuck in a three year time loop and he tries to avoid his childhood friend. After every three years she forgets all the things they did together so he tries to avoid her this time and go to a different school. It hurts too much to keep doing it again and again. He's surprised to see her attending his new school. He tries to be with her again hoping that this time the time loop won't occur.

The result of saving childhood friends at the risk of his life
She treated him badly before the accident so it wasn't that interesting.

I was betrayed by the idols who were raised by hand salting, and I became a producer of a former popular idol who was trying to commit suicide
This was a zamaa/expulsion type story except the main character was the former producer of an idol group who rejected him.

I Can't Make You Happy
This was about two creepy yanderes liking each other through the years. When you see the point of view of each of them it's creepy. I thought only one was creepy, but they both were.

I got a cuckold video letter from my lover who has a platonic relationship!
This was about unpleasant rich people backstabbing each other.

The relationship between my precious childhood friend and stepsister was broken by only one man, but it doesn't matter anymore
This looked like an NTR for awhile, but the guy was dangerous so everyone was acting differently in order to catch his wrongdoings.

As a result of being cheated on by a childhood friend and abandoned, I decided to go out with an idol
She cheated on the main character, but later she tries to come back because her new boyfriend cheated on her.

A fake lover told me that I wanted to be a real lover, but I refused because it was troublesome. I'll ask you to leave me alone
This was about two students who wanted to have a fake boyfriend/girlfriend relationship to avoid troubles from others. Later she wants to have a real relationship, but he doesn't want one. He brushes off all the girls in a not-so-nice manner. He had a psychological problem, but he was still kind of a jerk. At least he became better later, but that's when the story ended.

I was shaken by my childhood friend before confessing, and I was deceived by her lie confession, but I got a cute girlfriend.
This was about the main character's tsundere childhood friend answering to his confession that he's just a childhood friend and there's no way she could go out with him. He finds the sister of his best friend was the gamer he was playing with for a long time. Tsundere childhood friend realizes later that she gave the wrong reply.

This is Part One.
Last edited by Keropi on Mon May 31, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

The other stories I started reading. More bad relationships: :D

I was shaken by my childhood friend, and in fact I was taking care of my childhood friend as a whole family. It's too late even if I sneak up to take care of me again.
This was a comedic story about childhood friend that he confessed to, but she only wanted him to take care of her and wanted free food from his parents. Her parents were using him as a babysitter. Another neighbor girl confessed to him and it was a happy ending.

A story about my wife, I am a full-time husband committing suicide
His tsundere wife treated him badly and he killed himself thinking he could never make her happy.

God's de S !! <I want to live calmly because the former villain daughter who looped does not want to reverse>
This one had a former villainess who decides to avoid the Prince because of how bad it went with him the first time around. She acts much better this time, but I dropped it because I got tired of that sneaky backstabbing two-faced girl being around so much. Too frustrating to read.

My childhood friend and stepsister ... no one believed me. It's too late to say that you believe in it now
This reminded me of that earlier story I read. The three girls from his past didn't clear up the misunderstanding of the class from his other schools so his classmates hated and isolated him. At least they didn't NTR him like the in other story though.

If you decline the confession from your childhood friend who is too clumsy, a god (self-proclaimed) wearing a paper bag appears---
Kind of like this one. The childhood friend is sort of a cute, eccentric air head, but she loves him a lot. Unfortunately he doesn't think of her that way at all. It's different because he knows she likes him, but he doesn't feel it. I feel bad for her.

I've been taken down by my childhood friend and committed suicide, and I'll never trust my childhood friend. And the life of an NTR bastard will be destroyed after 16 years
Decent short story. He reincarnates, but at the same time he died. He gets another childhood friend while trying to figure out how the first childhood friend died. Is the second childhood friend connected to the first childhood friend or not? He doesn't trust his second childhood friend at all.

I'm pretending to be rear-filled and I'm broken, so I don't mind if it's broken anymore. My classmate who writes my favorite novel was ridiculed by my childhood friend. I'm no longer interested in my childhood friend ...
In this, the childhood friend was not a good person to begin with. It's not interesting when the childhood friend is always bad.

At the bottom of the magic school, my magical power became the weakest, and I was jokingly banished from my childhood friend party---
Crappy childhood friends so it wasn't interesting.

While he had "memory loss" for 3 days, he was robbed and the public's credibility was robbed, so he pretended not to return to his memory and enjoyed his slow life---
Main character got pushed down the stairs and lost his memory for three days. He continues to act like he has amnesia while trying to figure out who his real friends are. The childhood friend was really good.

I thought that the beautiful girl senior who is a flower of Takamine was aiming for a handsome best friend, but apparently it was me
I liked it until the confession at which point it becomes more like a regular commonly seen story so I stopped there.

A shop clerk who died in an accident returned to high school for some reason, so I was trying hard to get out of Bocchiotaku, but before I knew it, it became a harem.
I think a better title for this would be Superhuman Metrosexual Reincarnation. He loops back to when he was younger and becomes like a superhuman ideal person who knows a lot about every conversation topic. I thought it was too unbelievable to keep reading. He's too perfect.

When I and a beautiful girl who were distrustful of human beings started a couple channel, they became very popular distributors. -The moment you succeed, the ex-girlfriend who betrayed me is coming closer to me now, but can I ignore the cancer?
It doesn't even say what happened with his ex-girlfriend yet so I can't really judge it.

When I came back from studying abroad for the first time in three years, what was the approach from Ojousama
Ojousama likes main character instead of the arrogant guy she has marriage arrangement with. It worked out nicely. I got a nice warm feeling from it.

A romantic comedy where a childhood friend can never be taken down-I will do my best to the Guess men who do not know love and talk to a pure childhood friend---
Main character protects his childhood friend if bad guys take advantage of her because she's quite naive. She doesn't like him romantically yet.

My Wife is a Cold-hearted Angel
A great short title for this. Not bad. At least the female lead here is fairly well adjusted. She just doesn't talk a lot. Nice development over the school years.

It is a friend character. It is hated by school girls. The main character is different. ← Why this guy was a heroine NTR ... what?
Main character is stuck in a romance game and keeps repeating it by looping. The heroines the game's main character doesn't end up with will all die. The game's main character dates a non-heroine so the main character needs to have the heroines fall in love with him so they don't die and he can escape out of the time loop. He feels guilty of what he's doing. Kind of reminds me of The World Only God Knows.

Alright that's most of them. The others weren't really worth commenting on. The only reason I've read so many stories the last three weeks is because I looked at the Real World Love Category for the first time at Syosetsu. I had been always looking up it up comprehensively (Real World and Other World) before. It's interesting that 80 percent or more of the web novels in the Other World Love Category are for primarily female readers and are mostly all fantasy stories. 80 percent or more of the Real World Love web novels are for primarily male readers and are not Other World fantasy stories. Broken engagements and Villainesses dominate the Other World Love web novels and I've already read a lot of those. So I seen a lot of new stories all at one time. Then I also checked out the other web novels the authors had written previously.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I'd better mention this. I'm mainly reading Japanese web novels from the Japanese website Syosetsu here:

http://syosetu.com/

It's the non-adult web novel part of their website. Their front page shows the Top Ranked web novels for the month from all categories. Web novels get ranking points based off of a formula from star ratings given by registered readers, number of bookmarks and number of reviews given. Ranking points are ranked by Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Yearly and Total. You tend to find more of a variety of stories if you check based off of Daily or Weekly Rankings. On the downside, checking by Daily or Weekly rankings you are more likely to find stories that just started and may stop being written before they get to the good part. The quality of story tends to be less too.

You can look up web novels in the categories of:

Comprehensive
Love
Fantasy
Literature
Science fiction
Other
Isekai reincarnation / transition

You can also look up web novels there by using the Search. For example, this is a search for Childhood Friend:

https://yomou.syosetu.com/search.php?wo ... 8%E3%81%BF

This is the Monthly web novel rankings from all categories to the Top 300:

https://yomou.syosetu.com/rank/list/type/monthly_total/

I never go past the 90th ranked web novel and usually I don't check past the 55th ranked one. Stories tend to sound less interesting the further down I go even though there are a lot of stories I don't like in the Top 25 also. I just try to find something that looks worth reading. Hopefully it's done somewhat differently than what I've seen too much of in the past. The same old Zamaa (Serves them right)/expulsion and Villainess stories get tiring.

Check out how many Villainesss and Broken engagement stories are in the Other World Romance category (mostly female targeted stories):

https://yomou.syosetu.com/rank/genrelis ... nthly_101/

This is the Real World Romance category (mostly male reader targeted stories)
https://yomou.syosetu.com/rank/genrelis ... nthly_102/

As you can see, the Other World Romance stories get a lot more ranking points than the Real World Romance stories. That's why I was hardly seeing any primarily male targeted romance stories or Real World stories from my viewing of the Comprehensive (other World and Real World) Romance category Top 45-60.

I was thinking why there aren't many male game villain main character isekai stories out there because there are SO MANY female game villain main character isekai stories. Then I realized it. For female villainess stories, the main character of the story does things that help the game's male characters and then the game's male characters fall in love with her. The villainess frequently doesn't even know that the guys like her so much. If we had a male version of that type of story it would be similar to a lot of other shounen stories that are already out there. It shouldn't be a surprise that when a male main character is stuck in a romance game world that they would be handling a different kind of problem.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

My reading has been quite limited mainly due to lack of time

I am current on the released light novels for Re-Zero (I have picked up on a lot of the actual story passed over in the Anime)
Accel World which has continued the story past the last anime.
Spice & Wolf / Wolf and Parchment
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I was wondering if the Spice and Wold author was still around because I heard that his Magdalia stopped all of a sudden (a long time ago). They must have been talking about the manga or were wrong because I see that he's still around. I haven't been following light novel news much or even anime/manga/novel news in general.

I didn't even know about Wolf and Parchment. Glad to know all the series are still ongoing in their own way (apparently).
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

June has passed so here are my favorite web novels that I checked out in June 2021. I checked out around 51 non-adult web novels. I don't know the exact number because some of those short stories I didn't like very much so I never even bothered to save the links. If I read a short novel I prefer there to be a bit of a zinger at the end of it. If it has a flat and non-emotional ending I probably didn't like it that much. It's harder to write a good short novel anyway because you don't have much time to tell it.

So here are my personal favorite six novels out of the fifty one novels. Three of them haven't gone on for very long so it's harder to tell if I will still like them later.

One day I was delighted to realize that the world was in a time loop, but it wasn't what I expected.
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n1010fa/
It's a fairly short novel, but it's about a guy trying to get out of a time loop and another phenomena. He has to do "stuff" to make things better for the characters. Not bad.

The ice childhood friend who was tsundere and harsh became only tsundere with the appearance of another childhood friend
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n6006gl/
A cute story about an estranged ice tsundere childhood friend that acts different to the main character after a friendlier childhood friend shows up.

Is it permissible to abandon the childhood friend who became an idol of the school and be happy?
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n5139ha/
This is about two childhood friends who's relationship changes after the girl is forced to change her appearance for a game show. After her classmates see how beautiful she looked she's coaxed into being in a higher social caste in the school. The boyfriend feels social anxiety from being separated from her. The girl who won the game show will show up later and that new girl is more like how the childhood friend used to be like (more of a bookworm type). Should be interesting to see what will happens as the character.s get pulled apart.

I was betrayed by my favorite childhood friend and my beloved kouhai, so I became distrustful of women.
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n2412ha/
The main character had relationship problems with three different females. His mother, his childhood friend and his kouhai. The kouhai got hit pretty hard with a mental attack. The childhood friend is just annoyingly dense and naive. It's not a high angst story though so it's easy to read. I hope it will keep getting updated.

Youth doesn't end because I was flirted with my first love childhood friend. Rather, the production is about to begin.
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n7303ha/
I think this was said to be about two childhood friends moving on from each other to others. Might be interesting how it turns out.

Actress stepsister and enthusiastic coverage!? No, misunderstanding...it's not!?
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n0603hb/
I thought this was a nice short story about a former child actor and his famous actress younger stepsister. Pretty cute scene there at the end. :)