Anyone read/seen Maison Ikkoku?

All the Anime that's fit to print.....in serialized novels

Have you heard of, read, or seen Maison Ikkoku?

I've heard of it.
4%
I've read it.
22%
I've seen it.
26%
I've read it and seen it.
35%
I've never heard of it.
13%

Total votes: 23

Linwe
Kishin - Fierce God

Anyone read/seen Maison Ikkoku?

Post by Linwe »

Has anyone else read Maison Ikkoku? (Or heard of it?) I've read the first 3 volumes. So far, I'm hooked! There's just something about it that I really like, but I couldn't tell you what. Maybe because everyone is "normal"? (haha as normal as anime/manga characters get, that is) I find the main female character (Kyoko) quite different since she's a widow. I'm now older than most anime/manga main characters, so I guess I like reading about someone more my age. I haven't seen any of the anime yet, hopefully it's as good as the manga! :)

Anyone who's read it or seen it, let me know what you think! :wink:
British, you see, useless. I cannot get the equipment.
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

I've seen Maison Ikkoku a long long long time ago (I'm finding it hard to admt it's been well over a decade) on French television.
At that particular point in time, I wasn't too big on "Juliette, Je t'aime." as it was called. It is the only Takahashi series that just didn't "do it" for me.
However, having recently seen Ranma 1/2 in Japanese and also having found out about a gem called "Inuyasha" , I may have to take another trip down memory lane and visit Maison Ikkoku.
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

He he he Gabriel - I love the way you refer to things as a long long long time ago. :o You are still just a youngster. Wait until you get to be my age -they didn't even have cable when I was a kid. :P
Linwe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Linwe »

I've read the whole of Maison Ikkoku now, and I must say I like it even more. :) Must get my hands on the anime now.....
British, you see, useless. I cannot get the equipment.
tkngrl
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by tkngrl »

I absolutely love Maison Ikkoku. It's among the first manga that I used to read. When Viz started releasing it in the U.S. on VHS, I was sorely disappointed because they decided to leave out entire storylines so I stopped watching after several episodes. :x I heard the episodes that were released in Japan were more complete so I'd love to be able to find a copy of those.
Keys
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Keys »

Leave out entire storylines? I thought they were doing the whole thing... just very very slowly. At least we're finally seeing a nice US DVD release from them. :)
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

I looove Maison Ikkoku!! :love2 :hello
Its such a cute series! :flower
I 1st read it in manga form and then had the opportunity to buy a few of the boxsets. I have yet to get into collecting cels just because I havent seen any worth spending over 500 for. I know Kyoko goes for quite a bit but its soo hard finding a nice shot of her smiling.

I also enjoyed Rumic World both manga and the dvds for it. :vict
My favorite had to be the business man story where he ended up working at a fast food joint. The thai girl was hilarious!! XD "Nihongo ga wakarimasen!" :rollin

Thou my no. 1 fav is and always will be Ranma!
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

I liked Maison Ikkoku (I have read and watched it...) Especially I love the ending :)
Cats rule!
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

I recently started renting the series and finished disc 4 last week. I put Urusei Yatsura on the rental queue too. There is a beautiful Pan cel of Kyoko at Anime Museum (Movie) for "only" $2050. Wish that lottery ticket would win big right now! I heard the movie is very good. Anyone see it?
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
Ashura
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ashura »

I liked Maison Ikkoku because it was a softer storyline. I'm a sucker for all of her oldies. Even the horror genres like mermaid forest. I also liked the remake Mermaid forest TV that came out.

Ashura
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Shampoo wrote:I have yet to get into collecting cels just because I havent seen any worth spending over 500 for. I know Kyoko goes for quite a bit but its soo hard finding a nice shot of her smiling.
Do you mean 500 US dollars or 500 yen? ?^_^? :D

Decent profile shots of Kyoko are rather expensive. That's for sure. 8O
vapalla wrote:There is a beautiful Pan cel of Kyoko at Anime Museum (Movie) for "only" $2050.
I don't think that pan cel is from the movie. It looks to me like one of the images they used for the Maison Ikkoku playing cards (or the Asian CDs/DVDs), but I certainly could be wrong.

EDIT:

Hmm...actually it says laserdisc on the bottom there. :^^:
vapalla wrote: I heard the movie is very good. Anyone see it?
The animated movie you mean? I thought the animated movie was alright. It was basically a bonus for the fans of the anime/manga. It supposely took place right before the ending stuff of the TV series [avoiding spoilers here], but it wasn't an offical Rumiko Takahashi story.

The Live Movie was only "fair" in my opinion. To try to cram five years of story development into something the length of a motion picture was next to an impossible task. Even with an ideal cast it would have been tough. I think the only cast member that fit their MI role real well was the actor who played Yotsuya. I heard that guy was also a voice actor so maybe that helped his cause. I don't know.
Golden Boy
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Golden Boy »

Absolutely love MI. Read the Viz version ages ago. I cannot believe I haven't seen the anime yet. I should have seen the bootleg version by now. But now that the boxsets are here, I'll probably get around to seeing it soon.

I readily admit to being a sucker for romanic comedies. And this manga/anime is the penultimate. The triangle, the neighbors, memories of the ex-husband, the families and all the supporting characters make this a very enjoyable read (and view, I'm sure).

Okay, now that I've lost my man card, I'll have to post something in the DBZ section now. ^_^
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

I didn't know there was a live action movie! Well, I plan to see all of the TV series and probably the animated movie. So I guess the Museum cel was used as art for the laser disc packaging? It's very lovely. I didn't look too closely at the printing below the picture after spotting the price tag.
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

vapalla wrote:I didn't know there was a live action movie!
It's up on BitTorrent somewhere. I'm not sure where it is now since I lost the link. It's probably on the same BT page as the Viz licensed TV series ones. X|

I went and sent my very bad quality MI Live Movie English fansub tape to this guy I knew in France and he went and digisubbed it into English and French. Can't say I like the Live Movie very much though - especially the part where they start singing and walking down the stairs. X| But it's fairly amusing if anything.
vapalla wrote:So I guess the Museum cel was used as art for the laser disc packaging? It's very lovely.
I don't remember those types of MI images on LDs, but I have seen them on:

Playing cards
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n16238641

Auction Image for above auction
http://img43.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users ... 9a_040.jpg

CDs
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n14936159

Image for above CD auction
http://img149.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/user ... 010367.jpg

I don't look up MI items anymore on YJ, but conveniently they happen to be there now. :)
Last edited by Keropi on Tue May 24, 2005 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

MI is one of those strange series for me. I've read pretty much all the
manga and enjoy it. But the anime absolutely bores me to tears and I
haven't seen more than a couple of episodes of it. Funny how that works
sometimes, isn't it?