Screen Caps

A place to post wish lists, ask for help with IDing a cel, screen cap requests, translation requests ... etc.
Bishy-Freak
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Screen Caps

Post by Bishy-Freak »

I haven't done screen caps before. Can anyone suggest a good screen cap program?
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

For video, most media players I've come across have the ability to screenshot built in. I use VLC for my avi and other downloaded media, and PowerDVD for dvds.

I use Snagit at work to do non-video type screenshots (websites, documents, various data, etc). Never actually tried using it on video, since I don't deal with that at work.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Right now I'm using the screencap feature on PowerDVD. But prior to that, when I used the Windows Media Player, I used SnagIt, and to a certain extent, I still use SnagIt now. It's a great program and worth the $50 fee.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

MS Office comes with a handy feature called "Snipping Tool." That's simple to use (pause the video, enclose the part you want to screencap, hit enter, save) and serves my purposes, as I don't want the screen cap to be prettier than the cel/sketch I'm displaying.
benten
Kamisama - God

Post by benten »

If you have a Mac, you might want to look at DVD Snap from Tool Force Software. I believe it's $12.95. It's worked well for me.

I would then recommend GraphicConverter from Lemkesoft for manipulation of the image.It's $39.95. For a while, Apple was bundling it with the computer. But Apple appears to have discontinued that.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I forget exactly how I got it working earlier, but the only thing I did was look up how to save screencaps while playing Windows Media Player on the web. There was some kind of adjustment to make in the Windows Media Player menu with "overlays" I think.

So the past few years I've been making screencaps by hitting the Print Screen button, Edit-Pasting the image in Paint then saving the picture in Jpg. Then editing the picture down. Works pretty well for what I need it for.
90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by 90sKid »

Keropi wrote:So the past few years I've been making screencaps by hitting the Print Screen button, Edit-Pasting the image in Paint then saving the picture in Jpg. Then editing the picture down. Works pretty well for what I need it for.
That's what I do whenever I need to take a screencap of something. After reading this thread, I thought I was doing something so unheard of or primitive haha. Glad to see someone else uses the old prt srn and paint method.
Sue
Kamisama - God

Post by Sue »

I just command, shift, 4 to take a pic, on a mac. Apparently in windows if you do alt and print screen it only takes a pic of the active window so you don't have to edit it down.
pixie_princess
Kamisama - God

Post by pixie_princess »

I use mostly print screen and photoshop elements *^.^* There was this one neat program called Fraps that allowed you to grab it directly from dvd/ or any other video file. I think it runs at the same time as your player and allows you to grab screencaps without worrying about overlay problems. Plus, it's fast.
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

90sKid wrote:
Keropi wrote:So the past few years I've been making screencaps by hitting the Print Screen button, Edit-Pasting the image in Paint then saving the picture in Jpg. Then editing the picture down. Works pretty well for what I need it for.
That's what I do whenever I need to take a screencap of something. After reading this thread, I thought I was doing something so unheard of or primitive haha. Glad to see someone else uses the old prt srn and paint method.
That's how I do it too, only I paste it into Photoshop instead of paint.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

I use Media Player Classic (also free). :-)
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

I generally use Media Player Classic. It's free, and it has a frame step button, and a shortcut for screen caps (ctrl + i, I believe).

In the past, I've also used GOM Player. Also free, also has frame step. The extra it has, though, is a kind of scatter screen cap function. Hit the button, and it takes a whole smattering of screen caps in about 1 second's time. Works wonders if your cel/sketch happens to fall between frames. That's not a common thing to happen, unless you've got super high quality animation.
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

I use VLC Media player which has a 'Snapshot' function. (Free)
Massacrist Manslayer
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Massacrist Manslayer »

/?: Has anyone tried this method?

Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Lol...that reminds me of when I used a video camera on my monitor to save things that were on my computer screen.

The video came out blinky, but readable. :sweatdrop