Looking for Jem, GI Joe, & D&D cels

A place to post wish lists, ask for help with IDing a cel, screen cap requests, translation requests ... etc.
Mackettric
Otaku - Fanatic

Looking for Jem, GI Joe, & D&D cels

Post by Mackettric »

I know it's not anime, but all three shows were animated in Japan by Toei. I wil pay TOP prices for cels from Jem, GI Joe, and Dungeons & Dragons.

It's been years since any new cels have surfaced, I'm starting to worry there aren't any more cels out there.

Wishlist is here
http://kett.rubberslug.com/gallery/wishlist.asp

Sincerely,
Kett Robbins
kett.rubberslug.com
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

I remember Jem! My little sister had the Jem doll and was so obsessed with the series. I hope you find what you are looking for. I've never seen Jem cels so they must be super rare. Good Luck!! :)
Celtyrant
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Celtyrant »

Jem cels hit ebay now and then. I've even seen a few good ones when I remember to look for them. They tend to go in the range of $75-$150 for just a so-so image, and the rarer the character, the higher the price. These are definitely out there to be found. Just keep typing it in and you'll get some hits eventually. When you look for cels that people would not normally consider anime, be sure to check all variations: Animation Cel Jem, Cell Jem, Animation film Jem, ect, because someone who picked one up in the early 90's might not know what term to list it under, or they might mispell 'cel' as cell, or use celluoid. ALSO BEWARE, if these cels were changed hands a few times, they may have been cut. I can definitely see this happening for GI Joe, Jem, and other ones that might have been bought and cut to fit in a frame to hang in little Jimmy's room before anyone knew they'd be worth anything.
Its more than a gallery.
Mackettric
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Mackettric »

I got my first Jem cels in 1992, and have been searching high and low for them ever since. I haven't seen a new one turn up for atleast 4 years. There's been a handfull of Jem cels on eBay over the past few years, but all of those were originally sold by Van Eaton Galleries atleast 5 years ago. Nothing new.

Some cels from Sunbow shows do have their backgrounds trimmed to the size of the cel itself. This is especially true for Transformers cels, and some 2nd season Jem cels, I have 4 Jem cels w/ trimmed backgrounds. But the cels are in perfect condition, and I don't think this was done for any sort of framing. The cels came from professionals who worked on the show and knew the value.

I've never seen a GI Joe cel w/ a background trimmed. Art Toons did have that one of Gung Ho that was cut out, that's the only exception out of the hundreds Joe cels I've seen. There's only a few dealers selling Joe cels, they've always priced the cels for collectors and the condition of the cels have always been top notch.

I really wonder how many more Jem cels are out there. Sunbow didn't vault their cels like Filmation. I've talked to a lot of production people and overseas supervisors, they don't think many cels were sent back to the States. I hope someone in Japan might have saved some, but I have yet to find any on YJ. eBay is easy to search, YJ is the hard one. :?