YJ Bidding Help

A place to post wish lists, ask for help with IDing a cel, screen cap requests, translation requests ... etc.
hyelakingsfan
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

YJ Bidding Help

Post by hyelakingsfan »

As many of you know i am a Broly fanatic and haven't bought a cel in a while but this new one of Broly is gorgeous and was wondering if, just incase, the cel doesn't go for tooooo much, is there anyone who would be able to place a bid for me on it? Much appreciated.
http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=htt ... /r57935367
hyelakingsfan
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by hyelakingsfan »

Any volunteers? :o

Okay, so i tried to make an account just incase there isn't any helpers and wanted to know if its normal...it says place a $20 deposit to bid $100. Is that a normal price? Anything else i should know? Thanks
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

hyelakingsfan wrote:Okay, so i tried to make an account just incase there isn't any helpers and wanted to know if its normal...it says place a $20 deposit to bid $100. Is that a normal price? Anything else i should know? Thanks
Yes, that is the normal routine for deputy services that I know. This just is insurance in case you turn out to be a deadbeat who won't pay for won auctions, as of course the DS has to pay for the item, then collect from you (plus commission).

What else to know?

From my "Bidding on Japanese Auctions for Total Japanese-Illiterate Dummies" presentation at AnimeNEXT:

1. Have an idea of how much you're bidding in your own currency. I figure yen/100 + $20 for most small items, but as the sale price goes up the plus figure might be $30 (>5000 yen) or $40 (>10,000 yen) or even $50 (>15,000 yen). Example: a small lot goes for 1000 yen -- expect to pay about $30. A more important lot goes for 6000 yen -- expect to pay $90. A really nice lot goes for 17,000 yen -- expect to pay $220.

2. Know when the auction closes. On YJ, 1 day is always more than 24 hours. But 10 hours is always less than ten hours, maybe nine hours and 20 seconds. And, of course, 5 minutes is less than 5 minutes. I've lost many items simply because I didn't take care to check on the ending time and got to the auction an hour late.

There's an auction clock that you can access by clicking the link next to the amount of time left. It's a good idea to do this and keep it visible in some corner of your screen as you count the auction down.

3. Most YJ auctions have an feature in which the ending clock resets whenever a bid is entered during the last 5 minutes. This makes sniping difficult, by allowing the original bidder to answer a last-minute bid, but even so most serious bids get posted during the period immediately before the 5 minute warning. You can, however, be sniped by another Rinkya user (see the "Bidwar" info on the Rinkya site).

4. Do check and be clear about when you're expected to pay up for an auction you've won. Some DS's give you 14 days to pay up; others, only 24 hours after the end of the auction.

Good luck!
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Otherwise, email Midori and she will bid for you. :o
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

Sensei is right-- you're on track about the setting up of the account and laying down a $20 deposit. When using Rinkya, that deposit appears as a pending debit in your bank account and is returned within 24-48 hours. You can always increase your bid limit by specifying a higher deposit amount to put down the next time around when you use your account.

Like he said, be prepared for the $20 service and handling fee that is paid by the DS to YJ after the auction ends and internal bid fees (if any.) Your service and handling fee may increase to $40 or more depending on the final bid amount win the auction has ended.

And, lets not forget the additional $20 to have your items shipped to your home when the time comes.... this stuff adds up fast.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
hyelakingsfan
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by hyelakingsfan »

Much appreciated to all who helped me. :) Thanks soo much ladies and gentleman! Cheers!
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

Did you succeed? 8O
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
hyelakingsfan
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by hyelakingsfan »

Unfortunately not :(
My drought of buying cels continues!