Reject cel? Test cel? Hanken cel? Is it a cel??

A place to post wish lists, ask for help with IDing a cel, screen cap requests, translation requests ... etc.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Reject cel? Test cel? Hanken cel? Is it a cel??

Post by ginga123 »

Upon encouragement from a few people in our community, I'm posting this link in hopes that someone can help me determine this cel's general purpose whether it would be any or either of these listed in the topic title. It is an oversized B4 from SM R series.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/ ... 175525.jpg

Right now, I'm torn between reject or hanken (b/c of the xerox lines and size of cel) but cannot be 100% because the image is too recognizable. Scale slightly tipping towards reject. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Ginga
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
ssvegito04
Anime Geek

Re: Reject cel? Test cel? Hanken cel? Is it a cel??

Post by ssvegito04 »

I looks like a photo frame concept to me.

But I would honestly have no idea. This series is not my specialty
You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps... his PRIDE!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Looks to me like the blueline proof for the cover of a book, in which the figures would eventually be printed in color around a title (something like

SAILOR MOON
A COMPLETE GUIDE

Bluelines (or "blues" as the printer my wife worked with called them) are or were a close-to-final check before going to press to ensure that all the art was in final form. They are usually printed on paper, but this one might have been printed on a cel so it could be held over samples of the text to make sure that it would fit around the planned text (and wouldn't hide some of it or leave an awkward blank space). Now this is all handled digitally, by generating .pdf files from the master file that would be used to drive the printing process.
ginga123

Post by ginga123 »

Ill post another pic later today. It is just a blank oversized celluloid with the "blues" on it.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
LunaArt
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by LunaArt »

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your email. I've been away for the past few days. Since you started this topic here, I thought I would post here instead, but I don't think I'm going to be much help. :sweatdrop

I guess I would lean towards it being a test cel or some sort of cel used during the making of the final product. It is odd that it is over-sized since it does not pan on the screen, but it does look like a type of harmony cel, so I could see them making it bigger due to it is being such a detailed image so they could get the water-coloring on the background more detailed too. I checked my DVD and it looks identical to the image, so I would think it was made by xeroxing the original douga. The lines on the DVD look like they are a kind of brown, so it is curious why yours is blue - maybe it was used to soften the image lines or for some sort of special effects reason. Of course, these are all pure guesses, lol. :shrug

I do remember many years ago, I saw a identical or maybe even the same cel sold on Yahoo Japan. I remember it was an odd color, too. It was probably blue also, but it might have been magenta - I just can't remember - this is one the of times where I wish I kept copies of interesting cels sold on YJ in the past, but sadly I don't. The buyer of that old auction may be reselling it or this might be a completely different one altogether. Maybe someone else remembers/saved that old auction??

I'm really curious about this cel as well. I hope someday you are able to find out more about it.
~Luna-Art >^.^<

Rubberslug version: http://lunaart.rubberslug.com
ginga123

Post by ginga123 »

Thank you, Luna. No worries^^. Thank you Sensei and SSV. i appreciate everyone's input. magenta?? i'd wanna see that one! i agree! the purpose for this celluloid would make more sense if this is a proof print. the lines are brown in the anime.

here is another pic: (i'm holding the cel backwards this time)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/ ... 152004.jpg

the cel is 14 1/2 x 11 1/2 in. 8O
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
www.gag.rubberslug.com