No sequences number, is this cel fake?

A place to post wish lists, ask for help with IDing a cel, screen cap requests, translation requests ... etc.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

No sequences number, is this cel fake?

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w82090772

it looks like its from the 1981 space warrior baldios movie.

I think this is about 1 hour and 18 minutes into the movie so I guess C 748 sounds about right. however, I don't see a sequence number on the cel and this is by far not the only screen, in the anime the character is twitching in this sequence so I'd think it should also be a multilayer cel, but it doesn't look like its the case here. and even though the background is taped with the cel, its not the matching background.

heres a screen cap of a sequence mate:
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww15 ... 0e33b3.jpg

any input appreciated!
Last edited by theultimatebrucelee on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Re: No sequences number, is this cel legit?

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Not sure why there wouldn't be any sequence numbers on it. Sometimes previous owners trim and actually cut the registration holes off (including any cut & sequence number) for framing purposes, but this cel doesn't look like it's been trimmed. You can clearly see the holes at the top. I checked out that sequence on YouTube, and I see what you mean about the character twitching, but to me that would mean that there are two separate sequence numbers to produce that sort of movement, not another layer. Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnNVKtNyUQ
The scene you're talking about is around 1:18.
BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Post by BuraddoRun »

What are the dimensions of that cel? Since it's from a movie that appears widescreen according to that Youtube link, should it be a different size from a regular cel?
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

@Rekka, Thanks for posting that video link...I was thinking of posting a 3 sec cut out of the file I have since youtube never even crossed my mind-_-" and I think you're probably right on the separate sequence for twitching effect, I don't know enough when it comes to how the effect is produced. wheres Sensei :P

@BuraddoRun, that's an interesting point. although I have another cel from this movie and that's also at regular size. the youtube file seems to be the same file I have which is the laser disc release. so I'm not sure if it might be different than the original VHS release dimension.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

It looks like the 2 top corners were previously taped. I can't tell if the tape is still there or if it was removed and now there is just sticky stuff/tape burn left on the background.

I hate it when there is tape on a cel so I usually remove it. If the tape is overlying the sequence numbers sometimes they come off with the tape if you are not careful. That could be one reason why they are not there. Otherwise I have no idea.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

theultimatebrucelee wrote: I think you're probably right on the separate sequence for twitching effect, I don't know enough when it comes to how the effect is produced. wheres Sensei :P
/hp /hmm [reviewing threads from the past contests, flame wars and all] /wah

In my experience, a "twitching effect" was produced by ordering two cels painted from identical or nearly identical dougas. If the world were perfect, then alternating the two cels would produce no result. But in fact it is impossible to duplicate one cel or douga by hand perfectly, so running the two together in rapid alternation produces an effect that makes the character look like he or she is quivering all over.

Studio Pierrot was fond of the effect, and I've seen examples from both Hyper Police and Tenshi ni Narumon. From the latter, here's a cel of Mikael doing the final Book of Chaos invocation (Tex-chan has the other pan cel), and here's one of him quivering all over in evil glee afterwards(Vapalla has the other one). And here's one of Noelle suffering from a bad wing day. That cel might be relevant to yours, as the studio ordered two dougas (thus starting the quiver from the trace line level out), and the one I got is clearly marked "C2 END" but the cel simply says "END." It's possible that, given the effect, the Baldios cel was not given a separate sequence number.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Re: No sequences number, is this cel fake?

@graymouser, I think that is possible, maybe I should try to ask the seller if that might be the case, if his the original owner. although if the sequence# is written as big as cut#, it might be hard for the entire thing be wiped out without trace by that one spot of tape.

@sensei, Thanks for the explanation for the effect! now if the cel even come with a sketch then it'd be possible to see if that's the case here. judging by the month of this cel though, if there were two then this might be the first one, since the other would have more lifted up month corners and I'd think that would be the second one. another reason why I don't like getting good cels without their matching sketches, fake cels/fan cels usually don't have sketches, and they're usually nice shots. which reminds me of a seller by the name SPIKECOWBOY. many of his best cels doesn't come with any sketch. I wouldn't be surprised that there are some fan cels mixed in auctions, intentionally or unintentionally. not to mention his auctions doesn't seem to have many bids even when the price looked right.

see lots of answers why this cel could be legit...maybe now I should change the question to if this cel is fake :D ...and now it looks weird running down this page lol
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

sensei wrote:In my experience, a "twitching effect" was produced by ordering two cels painted from identical or nearly identical dougas. If the world were perfect, then alternating the two cels would produce no result. But in fact it is impossible to duplicate one cel or douga by hand perfectly, so running the two together in rapid alternation produces an effect that makes the character look like he or she is quivering all over.
BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Re: No sequences number, is this cel fake?

Post by BuraddoRun »

It is definitely a very pretty cel.
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18