Translating for dollars VOLUNTEER FOUND!

A place to post wish lists, ask for help with IDing a cel, screen cap requests, translation requests ... etc.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Translating for dollars VOLUNTEER FOUND!

Post by sensei »

Would anyone be willing to take on a small anime-related translation project for me? I recently obtained a set of kamishibai (paper theater) cards for the 1973 Toei anime series Microid S (based on an Osamu Tezuka manga). There are 20 cards, and each has a short script on the back, which the presenter performs while flipping through the cards.

As anime-related kamishibai seems pretty scarce (it was popular in the 1930s and 40s, but declined dramatically with the rise of television in the early 50s) I'd love to include a simple translation of the script in my RS gallery with scans of the cards. The texts aren't long, and the kanji is accompanied with a furigana trot, just as in manga. Still, as it will take an afternoon or so to do it, I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for the work.

Here's a reduced scan of the first script card so you can see what you might be in for. I can see from the picture that Yanma, the hunky "dragonfly" cyborg, does in one of the robots sent to capture them with the zap ray built into his helmet, thus saving his companion Ageha (swallowtail butterfly) and the frightened little-boy cyborg Mamezo (bean beetle).

Though my practical Japanese is quitelimited, I can see that the script includes indications of where the performer has to shift voice to impersonate the heroic male cyborg Yanma and the frightened female cyborg Ageha, that Yanma does in the contraption shouting "MICROID BE--MU!" (i.e., "Microid Beam!"), and that the rescued Ageha politely replies "Arigatou, Yanma!" So I can't imagine that the translation will involve many technical difficulties.

Anyone interested? Would $50 be a reasonable price for someone who can bang out a quick translation of these 20 short scripts? PM me if you're willing to give it a try.
Last edited by sensei on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sensei

Re: Translating for dollars

Post by sensei »

A volunteer has been found! Thanks to all who responded to this appeal. With luck, I should be able to have a little April update soon, with the Microid S kamishibai being the splashiest (but also with a couple CCS additions and a few for Palme and Syrius/Sea Prince).