Cardcaptor Sakura bank cels

A place to post wish lists, ask for help with IDing a cel, screen cap requests, translation requests ... etc.
Charoncaori

Re: Cardcaptor Sakura bank cels

Post by Charoncaori »

I feel like with how much I've been posting in here, maybe I should make a sakura thread in another section... but the storyboard seller linked above drastically lowered the auction price of his lot. Additionally, another seller put up two storyboards!! https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/o302388679 is episode 69, and looks to be a copy, but https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/m316961353 might possibly be an original?? I'm definitely not letting that one go without a fight...

These are the sort of things that I would love to just see instead of own, but I worry that whoever buys them is going to keep them hidden. I see that happen in videogame collecting, where as soon as someone dumps a prototype cartridge, the value absolutely tanks. If we had more time I wish I could start a collection fund to have someone scan and preserve this stuff for fans... As it is, if by some miracle I win any of these three auctions, I'll do my best to find someone with proper scanning equipment...
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I'm happy to see someone so exuberant about collecting, but I recommend easing into this hobby instead of racing after all the great stuff out there.

I'm saying this out of experience, not only mine, but that of others. It's easy to charge into this hobby at full force and buy all the stuff out there. But it's a lot harder to hang on to it as your tastes in this hobby mature and change. The things that you collect when you first started may not be the things that you collect a decade later. In my case, I started out collecting cels (and only cels, I could care less about douga back then) featuring Sailor Moon artwork that was not featured in any trading cards. That lasted less than a year. 15+ years later, I now almost exclusively collect shikishi/original artwork with the occasional Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura cel/douga. Big change.

Definitely not trying to discourage you from winning this auction or anything else for that matter. Just mentioning things to keep it all in perspective :)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I'll add (as one who is coming up on 19 years collecting, first CCS, then CLAMP, then a much wider range of artwork) that a budget is necessary, even when you feel that losing a given item means it goes into a Black Hole, as Betarians used to say. I saw several collectors begin with enthusiasm, then get themselves into financial difficulty --not necessarily through buying cels, but often in the usual way, medical issues, car repairs, loss of employment, etc. Then having a fair chunk of money tied up in animation art became a burden, as the market has not matured to the extent that the net resale worth of a collection is easy to determine. "Distress sales" that took place in such cases were sad to witness, even when it meant my getting some primo items for wholesale prices.

Especially with CCS prices now being somewhat inflated based on the last two decades, I'd go easy. But so long as you love what you already have more than what you just won on auction and so long as you count your truly discretionary funds before you bid, all will be well.