Hello everyone, does anyone know the founder of this gallery?

A place to post wish lists, ask for help with IDing a cel, screen cap requests, translation requests ... etc.
Issacyip12

Hello everyone, does anyone know the founder of this gallery?

Post by Issacyip12 »

Hello everyone, does anyone know the founder of this gallery? :) I

Thank :bow :bow

http://myhermitmode.rubberslug.com
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Hello everyone, does anyone know the founder of this gallery?

Post by sensei »

The founder, David Pierpont or "Sith-Krillin," died in a fatal automobile accident on Sunday, April 6, 2003. I did not have the privilege of knowing him, as I registered here in 2004, but a number of his friends posted tributes and remembrances to him in this Beta gallery.

I did an academic study of Anime-Beta ten years ago when it was more active as an virtual community, and with the help of members who'd been present at creation, I put together this account of its creation:
Computer-based networks of anime art collectors formed relatively early during the emerging interest in anime among young people. The first really influential message board devoted to anime art collecting, “Animanga,” was launched in May 1997 as a sidelight to a website dealing in cels and other anime-related merchandise. However, the more recently founded Anime-Beta has proven to be uniquely durable in comparison to other virtual communities focused on anime art collecting. The core group of Anime-Beta’s community originally became acquainted through a short-lived forum called Anime-Alpha, which went live in 2001. The discussions were primarily centered around art from the series Dragon Ball Z, and then grew to include other series like Sailor Moon that were gaining popularity among youngsters through syndication on the Cartoon Network channel. Unfortunately, this community proved unstable. Anime-Alpha’s webmaster became embroiled in a personal dispute with a number of members. In the end, several people were banned (i.e., blocked from participation) at the webmaster’s discretion, and when their fellow participants spoke up for them, they found themselves banned as well. The dissident group formed Anime-Beta as an alternative, registering 54 members in its first month (April 2002) and 175 members in its first year. Most of the remaining active members of the original forum gravitated over to the new group. Before long, “Anime-Alpha” ceased to exist.

Ref: “Love and War and Anime Art: An Ethnographic Look at a Virtual Community of Collectors.” Folk Culture in the Digital Age. Ed. Trevor J. Blank, 166-211. Logan, UT: Utah State University Press, 2012.
Issacyip12

回覆:大家好,有人認識創始人嗎?

Post by Issacyip12 »

🥺
Last edited by Issacyip12 on Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Issacyip12

回覆:回覆:大家好,有人認識這個畫廊的創始人嗎?

Post by Issacyip12 »

🤯]
Issacyip12

回覆:大家好,有人認識創始人嗎?

Post by Issacyip12 »

sensei wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:06 am The founder, David Pierpont or "Sith-Krillin," died in a fatal automobile accident on Sunday, April 6, 2003. I did not have the privilege of knowing him, as I registered here in 2004, but a number of his friends posted tributes and remembrances to him in this Beta gallery.

I did an academic study of Anime-Beta ten years ago when it was more active as an virtual community, and with the help of members who'd been present at creation, I put together this account of its creation:
Computer-based networks of anime art collectors formed relatively early during the emerging interest in anime among young people. The first really influential message board devoted to anime art collecting, “Animanga,” was launched in May 1997 as a sidelight to a website dealing in cels and other anime-related merchandise. However, the more recently founded Anime-Beta has proven to be uniquely durable in comparison to other virtual communities focused on anime art collecting. The core group of Anime-Beta’s community originally became acquainted through a short-lived forum called Anime-Alpha, which went live in 2001. The discussions were primarily centered around art from the series Dragon Ball Z, and then grew to include other series like Sailor Moon that were gaining popularity among youngsters through syndication on the Cartoon Network channel. Unfortunately, this community proved unstable. Anime-Alpha’s webmaster became embroiled in a personal dispute with a number of members. In the end, several people were banned (i.e., blocked from participation) at the webmaster’s discretion, and when their fellow participants spoke up for them, they found themselves banned as well. The dissident group formed Anime-Beta as an alternative, registering 54 members in its first month (April 2002) and 175 members in its first year. Most of the remaining active members of the original forum gravitated over to the new group. Before long, “Anime-Alpha” ceased to exist.

Ref: “Love and War and Anime Art: An Ethnographic Look at a Virtual Community of Collectors.” Folk Culture in the Digital Age. Ed. Trevor J. Blank, 166-211. Logan, UT: Utah State University Press, 2012.
I want to ask, but this gallery is still being updated(2017)。thanks
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: 回覆:大家好,有人認識創始人嗎?

Post by JWR »

I want to ask, but this gallery is still being updated(2017)。thanks
The gallery is not still being updated , the gallery was accessed in 2017 to change the password to a stronger one after Rubberslug came under a attempted hacking. The gallery has been left up as a memorial for his friends to visit. I believe all of his collection was sold/donated by his family after his death.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Issacyip12

回覆:大家好,有人認識這個畫廊的創始人嗎?

Post by Issacyip12 »

was a hacker invasion

🙏🏿 thank you