Additional Blank Acetate To Protect....value?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Maiko
Kishin - Fierce God

Additional Blank Acetate To Protect....value?

Post by Maiko »

Okay, I am WAAAAYYYY behind on updating my gallery, and I've been sitting down organizing all my scans and everything, and that's when I noticed something curious about one of my newest IY cels.

It is one of my most expensive IY cels to date and is not only what is considered a desirable cel as far as collecting IY cels go ( in Human form ), it's also the A1. However, there are 2 blank, unmarked sheets of cel acetate stapled to it, one to the front of the cel, one to the back of the cel. Basically, it's a cel sandwhich. My question is.....why?

Was it prepared by the studio for some reason like that, for filming? I don't see why- I rewatched the scene and there is nothing but a simple, blue wash of background behind him- no special lighting, panning, etc. Or did a Dealer, or the studio planning to sell it to a Dealer, etc., purposely staple these two sheets of acetate to the cel to help protect it's surface where the inked lines are, and to protect the back of the cel from sticking to backgrounds/sketches etc. and eventually causing paint to peel away?

Has anyone else gotten a cel like this before, and if so, was there anything particular about that cel as far as it's collectability/value goes?

Also, I know someone here got a sequence mate to this new cel of mine- because I originally missed it when it was uploaded to the Dealer's website. So when this one came around, I didn't pause to think about ordering it like I had the first. Anyway, if the person who owns the sequence mate happens to be on this board- I am curious as to whether or not theirs has been stapled inbetween 2 unmarked, blank cels.

Last edited by Maiko on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

I have several cels with extra acetate on them. In my experience, it isn't the acetate itself that adds value to the cel, but the fact that it protects the cel.

I've never gotten a blank piece on the front unless there is airbrushing there, though. :?

Off the top of my head, all my Ranma-chans in this sequence have extra acetate on the top. On this cel, the car's windshield has aribrushing, so there's a piece of acetate on top of the A layer to protect it, plus a piece of acetate underneath the A layer (stuck) to prevent the cel from sticking to the background.

I have some more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

Just thought I'd butt in and say what a wonderful facial shot of human Inuyasha you snagged there Maiko! :love:
Caroline
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Caroline »

ohhhhhhhhhhh, maiko! that's a lovely new cel!! *admires*... wish i could help regarding the blank acetate though. hmm...
kizu

Post by kizu »

Too bad I don't really know why. Perhaps it's all just protection, one to protect the paint at the back and the front to protect from surface scratches. Although I absolutely do not like stapling a cel, if it was done in a studio it can't be helped but if I were to do the sandwich acetate I'd rather use archival tape and not let it touch the actual cel... Of course it's probably just easier to buy a very sturday archival sleeve. :?
My Cel & Sketch Gallery: http://hajimenokizu.com
birdie
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by birdie »

I have a couple of Inuyasha cels that came in the acetate sandwich. One is a Sesshoumaru cel that when the top layer is removed there are traces of outlines on it. No damage to the cel that I can see. But I do remove it from time to time to make sure moisture doesn't build up. I hate that moisture halo look. :x
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

I have a pan cel from Fushigi Yuugi that came with extra acetate. One was completely blank, i think it was used for protection/ separation purposes. The other was really oversized and had marker marks on it to indicate position of other cels. Both are loose so I make sure they don't stick to the cels with paint on them.

Yupz, I don't think extra acetate adds or indicate value. It's just a good-to-have, an extra pc out of the studio...or it may come in handy when you want to make fan cels :D
usamamo
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by usamamo »

Sugarflower wrote:Just thought I'd butt in and say what a wonderful facial shot of human Inuyasha you snagged there Maiko! :love:
Yeah yeah, that cel is absolutely wonderful
" I'm Usagi Tsukino, 16 years old...in the first year of high school. I'm a bit rash and a crybaby...but, I'm actually an agent of love and justice....pretty Sailor Soldier, Sailor Moon"