Dragonball Hanken (?) question

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Nelia
Kishin - Fierce God

Dragonball Hanken (?) question

Post by Nelia »

First, please, please, please don't get mad at me, the one who wants to sell this to me. I know you're here on Anime-Beta, and I'm just being cautious before I make any definite choices.

Okay, I didn't want to post this because the person selling it to me may get offended that I question the authenticity of this, but I can't get help unless I ask others, so here it is.

This is the Dragonball Hanken genga I was offered -->

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/N ... anken2.jpg

I wanted it, but after saying "Yeah", I looked closer at it. Here's why I question the authenticity -

1) It's on graph paper. I've never seen hankens, or any sketches, on graph paper.

2) It's labeled B4. I thought Hankens didn't have sequence numbers...?

3) It's WAY WAY cheap. We're talking under $100. Has anyone ever heard of a Dragonball Z genga being under one hundred dollars, especially with the entire crew of Super Saiyans? I almost want to get it even if it's not authetic because Vegeta looks hot (*snrk*), but that's beside the point. XD

So. Thoughts? Comments? I'd love to hear what you guys think. The more I think about it, the more I want to back away from buying it. I'm a bit nervous about if it's real or not. So, any tips or comments are welcomed!

I especially need input from collectors who are into Dragonball, because they should know something about DBZ gengas. :D But ANY ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em.

~Nelia
DragonballZSubzero
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by DragonballZSubzero »

Well, that is a tough one to call. I know a good amount about DBZ cels, sketches, but not too much about hankens.

I do own around 6 DBZ hankens and none of them have like "cel numbers" on them. They have like No. 29 or something like that as an indication. That does not mean that hankens do not have B4 on them, just none of mine do.

As for the graph paper thing, I have never heard of graph paper being used for anything dealing with animation, ever. They have about 4 different types of papers to use for rough sketches; white, blue, yellow, pink. So I would never think they would have to resort to graph paper to draw a rough. Graph paper would be used for people like me that need guidelines to make everything straight and proportional, but the animators are professionals that do not need such guides. But this, once again, is just an assumption as I am in no way an expert on hankens.

As for the price, yeah most DBZ hankens like that I see are not that expensive ($75-$150). Of course, you are talking about all the Super Saiyans, which I would think would be more than that. But hey, it is really up to the seller and you can sometimes get a bargin if they want to sell it bad enough.

So if it were me personally buying it, honestly, I would think it was fake. Now I would love to be proven wrong because I would find it very interesting to know that there are such things used, with graph paper and "cel numbers" with hankens.

Well thats my opinion and I am sure others will have their own... 8)
Nelia
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Nelia »

Wow, thanks for the ton of info. :D I've really admired your DBZ collection, but I was afraid of going to people on RS with DBZ sites going "RAWR! Can ya help meh? :D" or anything. :P

But yeah, that info was totally helpful. I'm leaning towards not getting it because of the cost. I mean, if it were like...a piece of fanart that was only $40 or something, I think I'd get it, but if it's that obvious that it's a fake and it's being passed off as the real deal... that bugs me.

But AGAIN, I'm not saying it's fake. That's why I posted this thread, to get more insight/help on finding out the facts on hankens and DBZ art in general.

Thank you again, DBZSub Zero. :D I appreciate the help!

Anyone else got any ideas?
minigt
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by minigt »

Neila,

I would suggest you email Cracker. He is a really friendly and helpful guy. He knows a lot about Hankens.

Here's his site (and his banner is a hanken on graph paper!)

http://blackstar.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

MiniGT
Are you ready now....to witness a power not seen for thousands of years!
http://genkidama.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
DragonballZSubzero
Kishin - Fierce God

minigt wrote:Neila,

I would suggest you email Cracker. He is a really friendly and helpful guy. He knows a lot about Hankens.

Here's his site (and his banner is a hanken on graph paper!)

http://blackstar.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

MiniGT
I had completely forgot about his gallery. Yeah, see now he also has a hanken done on graph paperlike minigt pointed out. So maybe it isn't as uncommon as I would have thought for that to be done.

Still, aren't most hankens or even sketches for that matter done with more than one color? Espically if the sketch is as "finished" as that one looks.

I would like to know why they would use graph paper though, seems to distract a lot from the sketch. :?
minigt
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by minigt »

Sub, I too would also like to know. I have seen a few but never took a great deal of notice.

Let us know how you go Nelia.
Are you ready now....to witness a power not seen for thousands of years!
http://genkidama.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
dude_moose
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by dude_moose »

I have a dbz hanken sketch on graph paper.
They were sold through Mandarake like 4+ years ago...
They were originally priced at $70-100
I have no idea if it's authentic or not, I know some people were thought no.
RX78GP02AGUNDAM
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

Do you have a larger image? I saw the ones that were being sold at Mandarake LA years ago too...but, this one looks abit different.
Especially the Vegita, he looks out of place in that shot. They all look traced onto that piece of paper. The ones Ive seen were more sketchy, while this one is flat and stick figure-ish.
Prince Vegeta
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Prince Vegeta »

If you can provide a bigger scan then I would be able to tell whether it's fake or not.

As for the Hanken being on graph paper, as other have mentioned already, there were some on mandy a while back and I do believe that they were authetic. Sketches are weired sometimes....for example....shuusei vs. genga when you can have shuusei genga. So I would not base my decision on the graph paper issue if I was in your place.

Usually with the DBZ artwork, you can tell fairly easily whether the artwork was traced or if it's a fan made copy. That's why I asked for a larger scan.

The price is fine.

The fact that the Hanken has a cel number is a bit off. Are you sure that it is B4 as supposed to 34 or something...just curious.

Anyways....nothing a bigger scan can't solve. I'm just curious about the artwork though....regardless of whether it's purhcased or not....just wanted to see a bigger scan :D

Hope that helped
Prince Vegeta
demon.rubberslug.com
Elot

Post by Elot »

Hehe im the owner of that Hanken Genga, I brought it off Mandarake few years ago, i think there were 8 of them and 6 of them are brought by Anime-beta members on the same day (Soda had one and maybe dude_moose). Those are Hankens of shijitakis (anime pencil boards) and dbz cards.

Ive been trying to cut down my gallery to Goku only but i dont have time (or rather lazy) to sell. I barely post on beta now cause i normally visit the FOR SALE section only for members irongrip cels. Till i noticed Nelia post on wishlist section and decide to reply. And no worries, im glad to explain those sketches since they are mystery to most people.

My rubberslug gallery had a bigger scan, i had it intentionally tilt when taking pictures to prevent people from making fancel out of it. There are some sort of brown spills at the back that is slightly visible in the front, i did get an apology from mandarake.

Elot
DragonballZSubzero
Kishin - Fierce God

Elot wrote:Hehe im the owner of that Hanken Genga, I brought it off Mandarake few years ago, i think there were 8 of them and 6 of them are brought by Anime-beta members on the same day (Soda had one and maybe dude_moose). Those are Hankens of shijitakis (anime pencil boards) and dbz cards.

Ive been trying to cut down my gallery to Goku only but i dont have time (or rather lazy) to sell. I barely post on beta now cause i normally visit the FOR SALE section only for members irongrip cels. Till i noticed Nelia post on wishlist section and decide to reply. And no worries, im glad to explain those sketches since they are mystery to most people.

Elot
Elot - Thanks a lot for explaining all of that. I had no idea that the animators would use that type of paper to do the hankens on. Definitely good to know in case I, or anyone else, comes across another piece like that. :)

Hope nothing I said offended you. Don't know if I would be all happy if someone was opinionating that one of my pieces was fake. :emb

Hurray for learning! :yay
Elot

Post by Elot »

hehe no problem, im dont have much knowledge on hanken, im just being impulsive on dbz cels back then

here i found dudemoose and soda one

http://dudemoose.rubberslug.com/gallery ... emID=41740

http://septalrage.rubberslug.com/galler ... emID=87984