Hot-linked cels

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

I had someone link to a cel of mine ONCE - and she was on my livejournal friends list. Thankfully she had asked to be my friend, I found it in one of her entries, and let her know that it was mine.

No trouble beyond that. My cels average 300 or less hits, and it takes a LONG time to get that high, so I am not suspicious :roll:
Caroline
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Caroline »

hmm, this topic got me thinking... so i looked it up, and the most i have is 1211 hits on this cel:

http://unicorngallery.rubberslug.com/ga ... mID=104762

what about anyone else? just curious! :D
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Looks like you show up sixth on a Google "Unicorn gallery" search. :D

A lot of people must appreciate the image. :)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

A few days ago I discovered that Google Image search contained links to my artwork pictures at Rubberslug.

If you search Google Images by character name and/or by anime series, you might be able to find thumbnails of your Rubberslug artwork. You're more likely to find your links if the character or anime you're looking up isn't so popular or common. It'd be more likely to show up if you included the character's family and peronal names in the text of your artwork description.

That explains more completely why my highest hit artwork picture has 4 1/2 times more hits than the second place item (hits not caused by me). This is greatly distorting my statistics. Ah...well, it isn't too important in the entire scheme of things. :shrug
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I have two that I suspect have been hotlinked. One is an image of a not-very-important minor villain in Inuyasha, which started climbing rapidly last summer and now is my #1 hit-on item. The other is a not-terribly-impressive cel of five Clow Cards from CCS, which happen to be the "Mystery Five," cards whose captures are not shown in the TV series. (The Arrow does appear in the first movie.) I suspect that this is being used in a page that discusses these five cards and their (apparent) properties.

I dunno. It doesn't seem to bother me, though I do think it is an oddity. I'd be happy to agree to a link if people would contact me and ask.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

how can you tell how many hits each individual cel gets?
is there somewhere you can see that on the "my account" tab?
thanks! i knew you could see the site count itself but i didnt know you could see the individual cel count.

EDIT - never mind i figured out how. :D
Last edited by Belldandy16 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

klet wrote:Replace the image that is being hotlinked with a different image . . . something that says "Hotlinkers suck!" or something like that. :D

For example, my Inu fancel climbed in hits from about 50 to over 500 in a month or so (considering how it's taken two years for my highest hitters to go over 200, it was obvious that it was being hotlinked on a tiny site somewhere). So, I deleted just the image of the fancel (ie I edited the listing) and replaced it with the following:

http://misfit.rubberslug.com/gallery/in ... mID=158623
oh thats just too funny!!!!!
:emb awesome!
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

One of the great advantages of having your own website is the ability to creat an htaccess file - it can prevent hotlinking, and even let you specify an anti-hotlink picture, while allowing hotlinking on certain urls if you want to use your pictures (like allowing anime-beta or livejournal).

I also have a robots.txt file to prevent the big search engines from linking to my image files from their search engines. If you go to google image search and type in "rantarou", the images from my pages don't show up, even though it's probably one of the largest collection of nintama stuff on the intertoobs.

I started doing all this when I found out that sites, in Asia especially, were hotlinking to my site (figure it out by checking my webstats on the service provided by my hosting company).