Warping

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Cypress
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Warping

Post by Cypress »

I got ambitious yesterday and removed a stuck background from one of my cels. It was just a black construction paper background so I wetted it down and took it off just like rice paper...well sort of like rice paper.
The paper came off the blank parts of the cel and I was happy...until I looked at it today and the whole cel is warped!!! 8O

I flatened it out under some heavy objects but I'm afraid I'm not doing the right thing to mitigate my damages. The parts of the background still stuck to the cel are still very damp.

Have any of you ever made such a goof? Is there any way to reverse the warping or is this all she wrote? Please help! :l

Thanks!
Cypress
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Cypress »

Thanks for the post Robo! :wink: I have it flat now and it has gotten a bit better but I am worried it is going to be wavy forever. :l I may try the iron thing...in theory it has some merit.

Then I was wondering what would happen if I submerged it again for a few days and then pressed it flat. Would it hydrate every bit of the cel evenly? Or just make it worse? In my head it seems like it could work and if it doesn't get any better the cel is all but ruined anyway. What do I really have to lose? :hurt:
Cypress
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Cypress »

She looks a lot better today. I had her in my scanner with two heavy objects on top (and a cat for half the day ;) ) all day on Monday. Then yesterday afternoon, after I noticed the back wasn't drying and she was still fairly warped, I took her out of the cel bag and out of the scanner and just layed her out to dry out.
She curled up slightly after a while, then I flipped her over and let her curl up on the other side, then I repeated and repeated and repeated. Each time the curl gets less pronounced and it seems to be working! She is no where near as wavy as before and is getting back to normal. She always had a bit of waves to her since I got her so I am not expecting perfection just to not be able to notice the waves in the scan. :)

Long story short, as she is almost back to normal I think she will be ok. :l Hopefully this thread can help someone who does something this stupid in the future. :evil:

She gave me an awful scare though! 8O