New Scanner?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
purple-plum
Kishin - Fierce God

New Scanner?

Post by purple-plum »

Hey everyone,
Recently my scanner bit the dust, and I'm using my old crappy one. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a relatively new scanner that came out that is relatively fast. My old scanner took 45 sec to scan a page.

~Katie
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Epson and Canon are pretty good brands in my opinion.

My Epson Perfection 3590 works great for me (although, one of these days I would love to get my hands on an oversized one).

I don't know what their latest ones are called but you should be able to find them pretty easily.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I used my wife's HP all-in-one scanner with decent results, but I'm actually upgrading to a Canoscan like RoboFlonne. You can get low-end but perfectly decent ones direct from them from $49 + S/H. Probably you can find an obsolete one on eBay for even less.
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

I wanted to also put in a good word for Canon. I have the Canoscan N12400 and have had it for YEARS with a heavy scanning load and almost no problems. It's also wonderfully compact, if space is one of your concerns.
Kaona
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Kaona »

I like my Cannon, too. I have the CanoScan 4400F and it scans regular size cels and sketches just fine. Not so thrilled with the software it came with to splice together oversized scans, but that isn't really the scanner's fault.
Caroline
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Caroline »

if you can afford it, i highly recommend the scanner i use, the epson 10000XL for graphic arts. it is like the cadillac of scanners.