Line Fading or missing pieces

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
purple-plum
Kishin - Fierce God

Line Fading or missing pieces

Post by purple-plum »

I was wondering if anyone knows what to do when there is a cel with severe line fading. I have one in particular that I would like to get retouched.

http://purpleplum.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=156458

It came that way which was unfortunate, but I really liked it still.

Then I have another cel that didn't come with a mouth piece. I want to get a mouth piece drawn in on a separate sheet or something. What do people normally do in those cases? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to fixing cels because I usually just try to maintain the condition, but lately cels come in worse and worse condition and I can't help but want to fix them.

http://purpleplum.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=118518

Any tips or advice would be appreciated, items I should buy, People I should talk to.. thanks

~KT
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

A good fan artist who is willing to do corrections can make a layer for you with only the trace lines, and they can also reproduce a missing mouth layer. All they need is the douga, genga, or at least a screen cap to work off of. I would recommend Amy of Moonshine, but it seems that she is recently out of the business. Still, there are several excellent fan artists, including a couple on Beta. If you ask around, I'm sure you can find someone who would be willing to take the commission. :)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

If you have the douga, I've heard of people being able to photocopy it onto a transparency (which is how trace lines are made in the first place). Then sandwich the cel with the transparency. I've never done this, though, so I don't know what the archival issues would be: I suspect that you'd want to check on how permanent the transparency is so that you don't damage the cel further.

An alternative would be (as Moop suggests) to have the douga copied by a good artist in India ink onto an archival sheet of plastic, then (as before) sandwich it with the cel. Again, I've never done this. I'd advise against retouching the cel itself.