a good site that shows all about the animation process?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

a good site that shows all about the animation process?

Post by Belldandy16 »

Hi everyone!
im hoping you can help me out with something..
i bought a cel from a very nice ebay seller (Honestabe if youve heard of him) and once he found out that i worked at a school he was very nice and sent me a few freebie cels (nice ones too, once i get them scanned ill post them here) and he gave me some freebie sketches too to show the kids the animation process.
Well i thought id give the kids a little presentation along with the cels to show them how the animation process works.... well, used to work since everything is CG now.

does anyone know a good site that gives really fine details about the process (or any site that would be a good introduction for kids)?

Hey Sensei, do you mind if i use part of your gallery for my presentation?
the sketch animation (your quirky gallery tour) is awesome and i could use it to show all the kids how much work is involved in one scene.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Ronin
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ronin »

Hey that's sounds like a cool presentation!! (Why didn't I have teachers like you?)

I can't think of any decent websites with it on, but if you have any questions feel free to contact me as I have an animation degree, so know a little about the process. But yeah, I wish I could help a bit more, but most of the best stuff I have at explaining things are in books.

I mean what kind of stuff were you looking for, the entire process from scripting to editing or the actual animation part?

I'm sure someone here will have a decent site that they've bookmarked about it.
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

There is a charlie brown special I have on VHS that shows the how they do the entire process from the drawing, painting, photographing, editing to the voice work.

I could dig it up for you and do a VHS to DVD transfer.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

beatrush wrote:There is a charlie brown special I have on VHS that shows the how they do the entire process from the drawing, painting, photographing, editing to the voice work.

I could dig it up for you and do a VHS to DVD transfer.
oh for reals? :D
oh i bet the kids would love that! :D THANK YOU!

but you know what, we dont really have any dvd players here (our school isnt all that well off).
i could just borrow the vhs and return it to you after we are done with it (and ill make sure that its well taken care of while its here and going back to you).

id really appreciate it!!!
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

Ronin wrote:Hey that's sounds like a cool presentation!! (Why didn't I have teachers like you?)
LOL, thanks!
i was actually wanting to do something liek this in the first place. when they first started the idea of doing this camp (they have to have the funding in order to pay all of us. so we never know if we will be able to do it from year to year), anyways, when they first started the idea they asked us what we wanted to do.
I did get an idea to try to show them all about the animation process but i figured it would be too much trouble. Well now that this kind man has donated all of these cels and sketches i have the material to show the kids (my collection unfortunately isnt that extensive .... and well, i didnt want to bring my more expensive pieces to work).

oooh im getting excited just thinking about it!!! :D
Ronin wrote:I can't think of any decent websites with it on, but if you have any questions feel free to contact me as I have an animation degree, so know a little about the process. But yeah, I wish I could help a bit more, but most of the best stuff I have at explaining things are in books.

I mean what kind of stuff were you looking for, the entire process from scripting to editing or the actual animation part?
ya know im not sure. if that video beatrush has shows just alittle bit of all then thats awesome. im only going to do a short thing on it so that the kids will get a grasp of what used to go on in animation.

thanks so much for all your help guys, we appreciate it!!! :D
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

If I were you, I'd contact sensei directly. As I recall, he made both a sketch and a cel presentation featuring a lot of artwork from several different RS/Beta members. They're both powerpoint presentations and I think they'd work well with children of any age and attention span.

The sketch presentation was shown at AX 2007 during the cel collectors' panel and was very, very well done. There was a lot of information regarding keys, genga, douga, etc.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

wow that sounds cool! thank you! :D
Grico
Kamisama - God

Post by Grico »

I don't think it helps for your situation that much. but the Kanon anime dvd release in the US had extras on each dvd going through the animation process for the series. It was pretty well done and interesting.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Sensei crawls groggily out from under a shamrock after a 10-day trip to Illinois and Ireland (details later)

Jan Scott Frazier has some very good resources on the web. This one --

http://www.janscottfrazier.com/articles/jobs/index.htm

-- is nominally about the various jobs available in animation but along the way gives excellent info about the stages of production and how the different sketches fit in.

She also did another fine online article --

http://www.ex.org/3.1/10-bts1.html

-- that talks about the not-very-well-understood role of the camera operators who actually take the cels and make them into a moving series of film/video images.

AIC started (but never finished) a very good description of the animation process in English. It does take you up to the storyboard stage and has interesting info on what a series director and an episode director does. You can access the index here:

http://www.aicanime.com/introanime/index.html

Yes, you're entirely free to glom anything off my site, and if you'd like the PowerPoint that I did for Otakon (and which Craig reprised for AX), let me know and I'll upload it to sendspace, which might be more convenient for you than an attachment (it's biggish as a file).

Good luck! I remember something much smaller-scale that I did for the local high school, where I brought one of my cel books that had a bunch of sketches, cels, and original backgrounds from a series of nearby cuts in a CCS episode. We played the scene, then I got out the art that created it, including some of the set-ups that actually had gone under the camera to make the video footage we'd just seen. It was fun, though I suspect some of the kids had trouble believing that it really was the actual production art. ("Don't they keep this kind of material in a studio vault somewhere?" one asked.)

They do -- it's called "Yahoo Japan."
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

thank you very much Sensei! :D
yeah id really appreciate the powerpoint presentation (heh, we actually just finished teaching the kids how to make powerpoints last week!).

thank you so much again!!! :D
sensei

Post by sensei »

OK, the presentation is available (for the next 9 days) at this site:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rjc4tl

Let me know if anything needs to be fixed. I enjoyed fooling with the animation options of PowerPoint in making sketches dissolve into each other. Be sure to run through it before using it (if you do) so you get a sense of how it takes for all the animations to kick in.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

wow, Sensei that was awesome! :D
if i can get our computer lab up i will definatley use it (our computer expert is currently taking them all down and re-imaging them but i think he'll be done by the time i do my presentation).
thank you so much again! that was really interesting! :D