Stitching scans in photoshop...

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
lcatino
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Stitching scans in photoshop...

Post by lcatino »

Does anyone know of a really good tutorial on how to stitch multiple scans together in photoshop?

I have some pan sketches I'd like to display, and for the life of me can't get them stitched together.
Some have more than two scans. X|

I did find a few tutorials on the web, but they really did not have enough technical info for me.
I'm basically a photoshop virgin, so I really need something that explains every step in detail. :hurt:

Help!

Thanks!

:friends:
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

put all the seperate scans on their own layer, then multiply the layers as you are stitching them. that should help you see how the lines are matching up. (and sorry if i am stating the obvious!)
JuniorMintKiss
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by JuniorMintKiss »

PM sent.
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

Cannon has a great program that comes with their digital cameras called Photostitch. It does the work for ypu without having to do anything more than set the two pieces side by side. I assume other cameras come with something similar for "landscape" splicing. 8)
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
lcatino

Post by lcatino »

Thanks for the help guys!

glorff wrote:Cannon has a great program that comes with their digital cameras called Photostitch. It does the work for ypu without having to do anything more than set the two pieces side by side. I assume other cameras come with something similar for "landscape" splicing. 8)
Hmm.. I have a canon camera, but I don't think it came with photostitch. I think my camera is about 4 years old now though.

I also just bought a canon scanner, and do not see the photostitch prpgram. Looks like mine came with presto! page manager, and scansoft omnipage. :hurt:
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I usually use the old fashioned cut and paste, but found that my Photoshop also has a function called Photomerge. It can be found under File>Automate>Photomerge. I use Photoshop CS on my laptop and CS3 on my desktop and they both have it. I think I have Photostitch that came with my Canon, but haven't ever tried it. Now I'm curious after previous posts to see how good it is. :)
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

toonybabe

Post by toonybabe »

Haha, I didn't know there was suppose to be a special technique for this! I usually just put the two halves together then get jiggy with the clone stamp tool and the levels until it looks "good." My professors would be mortified (bad illustration student, bad bad bad)! You can see my results here:

http://likeabutterfly.rubberslug.com/ga ... mID=247365
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

Like you, Toonybabe, I'm a little more 'old school' in my approach, opting for the long way round.
I have several cels that took 4 or more scans but you can't see the joins. It just takes a bit of time matching them up and trimming off the harsh edges left by the scanner.

OK, a couple of tips when using Photoshop:
When you scan a piece in multiple parts, make sure one edge of the artwork is always in line with the edge of the scanner plate. That'll save time with the 'Rotation' command later.

Each scan will leave dark edges where the image isn't flat against the plate- cels are larger than an A4-sized scanner so this is common. When trimming off the edges to remove this dark column make sure there's overlap between scanning sections so you don't loose any of the picture.

Select the 'Rectangular Marquee Tool' and set the 'Feather' to around '15' then trim off the unwanted section. By Feathering the selection it fades the edge so a join becomes much less noticable than a straight cut.