Removing adhesive tape from sketches

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Removing adhesive tape from sketches

Post by sensei »

DO NOT USE THIS PROCESS TO REMOVE TAPE FROM CELS!

You will need:
  • * A bottle of purified, steam-distilled eucalyptus oil. You want the straight stuff, not diluted in any way. Small bottles are sold in the aromatherapy sections of health stores, or you can get larger bottles at online sites like Lucky Vitamin for about the same price. Keep in mind that eucalyptus oil is poisonous if swallowed by children and can cause dermatitis if accidentally spilled on the skin in quantity. It might be a good idea to keep the big bottle locked up and use a smaller bottle for your work and refill it periodically.

* A supply of cotton swabs. Use the kinds with paper sticks as the eucalyptus oil may dissolve the plastic ones.

* A box of facial tissues, the "hypoallergenic" kind with no added lotion, fragrance, or aloe vera.

* A small craft knife, the less sharp the better. (I got mine in a set at Dollar Tree and use the really sharp Xacto knife only for slitting tape as it tends to slice into the paper.)

* A plain cardboard surface (an old Priority Mail box is ok, but work on the blank side).

* A well ventilated space to work with good light. I set up in my garage with the door up, as it gives me lots of air, lots of light, and not much breeze. A room with a fan and open windows will also do. (Eucalyptus oil is allegedly soothing in small amounts, but can be rather overwhelming in the quantities you’ll use if it builds up in the air you breathe. Tell your landlady what you're doing so she doesn't call the cops. Don't think about smoking or having any sort of open flame nearby.)

* A stack of sketches with yucky tape on them. Some is yuckier than others: frosted tape is often the most stable, yellow-colored tape the most likely to cause trouble. If you hold the sketch up to the light and see that the part covered by tape is more translucent than the rest of the paper, that's an early sign of damage and a warning to get the tape off asap. (It's worth noting that the Library of Congress considers all forms of adhesive tape potentially dangerous to paper collectables, including allegedly acid-free scrapbooker's tape.)
This is the strategy that seems to work for me:
  • DO NOT USE THIS PROCESS TO REMOVE TAPE FROM CELS!

1. Wash your hands, before and frequently during the process, as dirt and oils from your skin can also cause damage down the road. Some collectors use inexpensive throw-away cotton gloves during this process.

2. Put the sketch down on the cardboard base, tape side up. Use one of the swabs to dab eucalyptus oil all around the edges of the tape. (Do this for no more than 4 inches of tape at a time, as the oil evaporates quickly).

3. Turn the sketch over and saturate the paper directly under the tape with the eucalyptus oil. Don’t be cheap – the more you use, the cleaner the tape will come off.

4. Turn the sketch over again and use the craft knife to get under one end of the tape and slide the blade between the tape and the paper. It should separate from the paper smoothly but reluctantly. (To me it feels like the resistance you sense while slicing cheddar cheese.) When you get enough of the end up, you could grab it with your fingers and peel it the rest of the way. But go slowly and watch out that the paper doesn't start peeling up with the tape. (This happens more often with thin yellow or pink paper than on thicker genga paper.) If you see a peel starting, stop, turn the sketch over, apply more eucalyptus oil, and start again from the other end. For thin paper, I stick with the craft knife and go more slowly than usual.

5. When the tape is off, soak the swab again in the eucalyptus oil and flood the area where the tape used to be. It's the adhesive, not the tape, that causes the damage, so you want to saturate the area to soften as much of the remaining adhesive as you can. You will often see the adhesive "resist" the oil and leave a dry spot underneath. When you see the oil soaking evenly through the area, that's a sign that you are removing the worst of the glop.

6. Take a paper tissue and rub the place carefully, looking to see that the adhesive is coming up. When I can, I rub in one direction, from the sketch to the cardboard base. When you’re done, the paper should look “flat,” not “shiny.” This can take more time than you think. I generally add more eucalyptus oil after the first effort and try to get up all of the stickiness. One batch of tape I encountered actually had adhesive that came off in globules and chunks, and there was so much of it I had to run the craft knife gently over the area to scrape it off. Change tissues regularly (I use the old ones to collect the removed tape, which can be unspeakably gross and try to reapply itself to everything in sight.)

7. Let the sketch dry out thoroughly. Overnight seems to be more than adequate. Put the tape, used swab, and tissues in a trash bag and put them outside, unless you're very attached to the smell of eucalyptus.

8. Bag the sketch to keep now-separate pieces together and prevent any damage that remaining adhesive might cause to sketches stored next to it. There are supposedly archival tapes that can be used to reunite pieces, and I've used this at times (but note the Library of Congress's warning above), but in thin slivers on the very margins of the sketches.
A few warnings:
  • DO NOT USE THIS PROCESS TO REMOVE TAPE FROM CELS!

* Eucalyptus oil does not lift graphite or printed ink on layout paper. It does lift anything that has been photocopied. So if you use it on copy layouts, be very, very cautious and expect some degree of smudging or image loss.

* Eucalyptus oil also does lift some colored pencil marks. Use caution if your sketch is done in colored pencil and test an inconspicuous part before going ahead.

* I have not used eucalyptus oil on cels and personally would not risk doing so. The solvent does soften many kinds of plastic (watch where you put that cotton swab or the lid to the bottle when you're not using it!) and so I'd expect it to damage acetate. Certainly it would dissolve trace lines and possibly damage cel paint as well.

DO NOT USE THIS PROCESS TO REMOVE TAPE FROM CELS!

* I have used it successfully to remove tape from watercolor backgrounds and found that it did not shift or lift the colors on the examples that I worked on. I can't say that this would be universally true and would recommend caution in such cases. I also found that the eucalyptus oil did tend to move dirt embedded in the paper around the tape as it soaked through the paper, so that when it dried, there was a series of "tide marks" around where I'd used it. Careful blotting with a cotton ball soaked in the oil was necessary to redistribute the dirt and soften this "ring around the tape spot." (One library site suggested filling a tray with the solvent and soaking the whole sketch in it to avoid such "tide marks.")
This is no more than a record of my personal experience with the process, checked with a number of online librarians' sites dealing with the same issue. For that reason, I'd be happy to be challenged or corrected on any of the procedures mentioned. My only priority, as I've said elsewhere, is to try to ensure that the art objects that I collect remain in at least the same physical condition in which I received them. This is a challenge, as most forms of animation art suffer from what paper collectors refer to as "inherent vice," or the tendency to deteriorate over time due to the very substance from which they are made. Yet they are unique records of a creative process, and once they are defaced, they are defaced for eternity. It's important for serious collectors to confront this issue and find some safe, responsible way to check this deterioration.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

awesome!!! thank you again Sensei! /thx
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

Thanks for the info! Haf a query tho, won't the oil stain the paper?
sensei

Post by sensei »

Cordelia wrote:Thanks for the info! Haf a query tho, won't the oil stain the paper?
No, it evaporates (almost) completely into the air. It's not like motor oil that leaves behind a hydrocarbon residue. It does leave a very subtle eucalyptus scent, but, so far as anyone can tell from experimentation, this does not react with the paper.

I put some leftover paper, that had been treated with eucalyptus oil, in my greenhouse in MD, which regularly heats up to 90+ degrees in the full sun. The old tape shrank and the adhesive yellowed the paper deeply within days, but the parts that had been treated did not shift at all, though one sheet fell to the greenhouse floor and was partly devoured by hungry slugs.

Moral: once you treat sketches with eucalyptus oil, bag them and store them in a spot infrequently visited by slugs.
samiamew
Kamisama - God

Post by samiamew »

sensei wrote: Moral: once you treat sketches with eucalyptus oil, bag them and store them in a spot infrequently visited by slugs.
I'll be sure to note that :wink: :P
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

RoboFlonne wrote:I'm going to save my cels!!!!
sensei wrote:DO NOT USE THIS PROCESS TO REMOVE TAPE FROM CELS!
typo? X|
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

miz ducky wrote:
RoboFlonne wrote:I'm going to save my cels!!!!
sensei wrote:DO NOT USE THIS PROCESS TO REMOVE TAPE FROM CELS!
typo? X|

ooops...

My cel just evaporated into thin air from the eucalyptus oil! Image
sensei

Post by sensei »

I suspect that eucalyptus oil was a main constituent of the infamous "dip" seen on Who Framed Roger Rabbit? It doesn't dissolve the plastic part of the celotape that gets removed, so it's possible that it won't soften cel plastic. But I'm not going to experiment any time soon. Anyhow, if it lifts photocopy images, I'm sure it will lift trace lines.

How to get tape off cels? I guess I take a laissez-faire attitude, as tape adhesive does not seem to burn acetate, so while I take out staples, I generally leave tape be. If need be, use a fingernail (the craft knife will scratch the cel surface) to peel up a corner of the tape and then just pull it off. It will fight back, so be careful not to bend or crease the cel in the struggle.

Now if the cel is taped physically to a background, you have three problems: the tape will discolor the background, the cel paint will stick to the background paint, and the background paint will leach up into the cel paint.

I'd say take the keenest Xacto knife you have and slit the tape where it sticks to the background. (Watch that you don't also slit the background behind.) Then get the cel off as gently as you can manage (alas, the bg will almost always suffer paint loss in the process, but at least you'll stop the leaching process).

Then bag up the cel, put it in another room so it won't scream when it sees you get out the eucalyptus oil bottle, and get the tape off the background.
lcatino

Post by lcatino »

Awesome tutorial Sensei!

Arigatou!! :bow

I think I will give it a try this weekend. Wish me luck! :)

I have to admit...the eucalyptus oil is a little intimidating. I hope I don't ruin anything.
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Thanks sensei :)
sensei

Post by sensei »

lcatino wrote:I have to admit...the eucalyptus oil is a little intimidating. I hope I don't ruin anything.
Thanks lcatino, and if you or anyone run into any problems with the method I described, please do post up a description. My advice is based on personal experience, but I'm not a technical expert on these issues, and so if you see a problem, by all means share it with me and the community.

As for the eucalyptus oil being intimidating, I might note that some librarians recommended "Goo-Gone" (sold in many Dollar Stores) which softens tape glue and also gets chewing gum out of little girls' hair etc. I have a little can of this under the sink, but, frankly, it smells like my dad's lighter fluid, and I'd feel very iffy about dousing my sketches in something that reminds me of gasoline or charcoal starter. Carbon tetrachloride also might work, but I steer clear of that too after I read a scary Reader's Digest piece in which a bunch of kids died after sniffing it.
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by MidniteKitten »

I recently got a cel that had rice paper plastered to the paint (why people put rice paper when it sticks in a heartbeat is beyond me). I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for removing it? Right now I'm thinking carefully cut away free chunks and the try and cut away so that it is not visible through the clear parts of the acetate (it would still be stuck to all the painted area though)

So any suggestions?
I'm really not dead-set on getting the rice paper off (I'd much rather have my cel) but if anyone has some tips I'd like to roll em' over a few times.

Thank you!
sensei

Post by sensei »

This is what I've done: dampen the rice paper with distilled water until it softens, then gently work up the unpainted "alleys" with the corner of an old photograph. (It's firm enough to work through the softened paper but won't scratch the acetate.) It needs to be done very carefully, though, as the paint and trace lines will tend to stick to the rice paper, and if you try to peel it away from the image itself, you'll also peel away part of the image if you're not careful. That's why I don't try to remove it from behind the painted part of the cel.

So far as I can tell, it is stable, at least as stable as a douga stuck to a cel, so leaving it on won't hurt it. Sometimes you can get nice effects by scanning it against a brightly colored sheet of art paper, which will be "frosted" by the translucent paper. So the safest thing to do would be to let it stay, unless you have a strong reason to scan it without the rice paper. (I did it because the cel came with a background that couldn't be seen through the rice paper.)
majinuub

Post by majinuub »

After checking out most of my sketch collection, I noticed that quite a number of them(mostly my Dragonball ones) already had this tape damage when I purchased them. Should I still try to remove the tape from them since they are over 10 yrs. old and the damage is already done(hopefully at its worst)?