What option seems best?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

What option seems best?

Post by MidniteKitten »

I just finally received one of my absolute dream cels from Mezzo Forte:
http://midnitekitten.rubberslug.com/gal ... mID=254070
but upon its arrival I truly realized how oversized the layer of just Mikura and her outfit is. The cel of the hands look like floating amputations which leads me to my dilema.

How should I matte this?

Here is a few of the options I'm looking at:
1. Matte only the cel of Mikura in the outfit and seperately matte the hand layer
2. Matte both layers together with the standard sized cel opening and just have a really thick matte border
3. Matte both layers together but allow the hands to remain floating amputations to show off the whole cel

I thought I would ask everyones opinion to make the best of my cel. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated (minus the "don't matte" it option, as its too huge for my filing storage for cels and I don't have the means to keep it safe unless matted and hung from a hanger in my closet)

Thank you!
lcatino
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by lcatino »

I have no good ideas for matting, but just wanted to say Congrats! The cel is gorgeous!

/no1
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by MidniteKitten »

Lol thanks!
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Since the edges aren't too interesting, I'd matte the layers together.

Of course, that's just for presentation purposes. One of the beautiful things about owning production artwork is that you get a look "behind the scene," and you get to see things like the amputated hands. :D So, if you're just looking for a way to store it so you can look at it, I'd matte them separately (or however you do it so that you can still see the entire bottom layer).
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by MidniteKitten »

I was thinking about placing both layers in the matte covering the hands on the side but letting the matte extend to the bottom of the cel as this has some nice work on the outfit as the sides particularly don't. So far this seems to be my best option as I'll still be able to see more of the Mikura layer but also get rid of the amputation look.

Thanks for your input, helped me out quite a bit about thinking about what I want most from the matte.