SSJ4 Gogeta douga markings...

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

SSJ4 Gogeta douga markings...

Post by Wendy »

Hi everyone :)

I recently bought this SSJ4 Gogeta cel from YJ and it came with two matching douga; the line art and the shading:

http://chx.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_i ... mID=262747

I pasted the two douga together (sketch 1) and added a close up of the markings on both of them for you to see (sketch 2).
Now, I have been collecting since 2003, but I have never seen numbering like that before.

Does anyone know what it means? Or is it quite common?
I really haven't seen it before.

Any illumination = greatly appreciated :)
Nelia
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Nelia »

Wow, that's a gorgeous cel! And I've never seen those markings. o_O I know some DBZ douga do have a lot of excess writing on them, though. My Trunks sketch has, I think, 3 writings to point out stuff on them aside from the numbering, but I've never seen the seq. info done like that. :O
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

Caroline is an animator maybe she may shed further light,
but in animation class I remember some of us use to put comp.
as in composite (as a note to ourselves) when we
wanted to separate and use more than 1 sketch to
make up the movement.

Looks almost like a gaijin or westerner working
@ the studio indicating the A1 is the start of the action
and to keep in mind that the next 2 sequences, A1-2 is made up of composite layers (which is a total duh in anime LOL).

Just my take on it.

:shrug

I am by no means a DBZ collector so Im not sure if this
is a norm on the sketches.
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

A better scan really makes that cel stand out. Now I'm really surprised about the price you bought it for O_o. I have a DBZ cel that says "A1 start" ,but it's only for the facial expression. Dunno what your 2 sketches means though sorry X| .
minigt
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by minigt »

New one for me too!
Are you ready now....to witness a power not seen for thousands of years!
http://genkidama.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

Thanks guys! for the replies.

And you know Shampoo, that makes sense.
Of course, me being such a computer nerd :B I thought the 'comp' marking had something to do with computers XD
But DB is ancient, so that didn't make sense :P

The 'start' I could figure out though :wink: but I've never seen that on douga before either.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

It could be that there was only slight movement between A1 and A2, and while the movement would requiere two fully drawn and painted cels, they only wanted to draw the complete sketch once. So, they'd draw a base sketch, and then partials for the rest, and run the plastic through the machine twice to get all the lines (base + partial).

Just a thought. I've got quite a few "bases" in my collection, as well as some partials telling me which douga number is the base. :)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

From what I can see, it looks as if the first sketch contains lines that would be used for both A1 and A2, while the second one provides the shading that would go with the A1 START cel. The A2 cel presumably would have only the douga that shows the change in shading that happens there.

I have an A1/A2 cel set that shows a similar shift in shading. The douga that I got with the A1 is just the outline (I'd guess similar to your A1-A2 COMP douga) while the douga for the A2 is just the shading (I'd guess similar in content to your A1 START). I'd have to dig out the douga to check, but I don't recall the use of COMP and START. That might just be a nonce usage by Toei.

With partial dougas that I get with recent CGI sketch sets, though, I often see one layer marked in the corner as remaining the same through a series of dougas (say, A5-A8 ) while a second set shows the shifts in expression, flowing hair, etc. that happen during this part of the cut. I'd assume that, for this series, COMP [short for COMPOSITE as Shamppy suggests?] was an early way to try to signal that these lines make up the composition of all cels in the series indicated.

Hope this helps.
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

Oooh, thanks Klet and thank you Sensei (I've always wanted to say that :D)

I looked up the scene where this cel is from on YouTube.
I don't own the DBGT DVDs because I didn't like GT at all, but I guess the fights against the dragons were cool enough.

This cel comes from Gogeta's first appearance, fighting Omega Shenron.
The scene seems like a two cel shot, switching between A1 and A2 only, with the A1 indeed being constant and the A2 the shading on his face changing because of the ki flowing around him.

This is so cool guys, we've gone from "I have no idea" to "aaaah, I see!" :D