need recommandation for scanner

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Re: need recommandation for scanner

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

thanks for the tip! apparently the resolution on my was set to 200 to begin with..I can't help but wonder what 9600 would come out to be like maybe 1gb per image lol...now I just set the resolution to "fine" and just downsize the scan with another program afterward its working out to be somewhat ok. now I just need to find out how to make the cel flat during the scan which is kinda difficult since I don't want to put a really heavy object on top of cel.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:thanks for the tip! apparently the resolution on my was set to 200 to begin with..I can't help but wonder what 9600 would come out to be like maybe 1gb per image lol...now I just set the resolution to "fine" and just downsize the scan with another program afterward its working out to be somewhat ok. now I just need to find out how to make the cel flat during the scan which is kinda difficult since I don't want to put a really heavy object on top of cel.
I just close the lid on the scanner. The slight weight of it does the job fine holding it in place and I have never had one damaged.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

its strange, sometimes I do that the image still comes out to be a bit blurry in some areas. maybe its got something to do with me always placing the cel to the top right left side of scanner. then again, some cels I have have this layer of plastic on top of cel and I don't want to try to peel it off because I fear it might damaged the paint so I figure some really heavy object might help since the scanner's lid does not do the trick at that point. still need more experiments to figure out.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:its strange, sometimes I do that the image still comes out to be a bit blurry in some areas. maybe its got something to do with me always placing the cel to the top right left side of scanner. then again, some cels I have have this layer of plastic on top of cel and I don't want to try to peel it off because I fear it might damaged the paint so I figure some really heavy object might help since the scanner's lid does not do the trick at that point. still need more experiments to figure out.
I use a stack of white computer paper a size to my liking (not too big) place it on top of my cels neatly over the scanning glass and hold the lid down firmly when I’m scanning. I mainly do this to avoid seeing the scanner lid and the scan coming out blue since the light from scanning reflects its self :? , But I believe it helps the scan come out more nicely in any case :)
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

great idea! I do have a giant stack of copy paper sitting in the corner doing nothing lol that's what I'll do the next time I scan and see if that'll be the long term solution. thanks!
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

Late in the game for this topic, but I've been in the market for a new scanner since there are no drivers to attach my current and still working Canoscan to my laptop (which runs Vista)..... I looked up the Mustek scanners that everyone says are great, but I read some reviews for the 1200 version that said the scans are inconsistant and sometimes blurry. One guy even specifically said he would never bother scanning artwork with it. On top of all, EVERYONE seemed to indicate that the software for both versions of the scanner is terrible and that it comes up every time you open the scanner lid. (The last there sounds annoying as all hell.)

Can anyone here comment on the differences between the 1200 and 2400 versions of the Mustek models or the software for either? Alternatively, if anyone knows somewhere I can get an up to date driver for my Canoscan N1240U, that would also solve my problem. LOL (My husband and I were ALL OVER online and the answer seemed to be there wasn't one.)

Many Sharp Smiles,
--Drac
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

eh..I have the 1200 version. wonder if the areas blurry was scanner's own fault, still needs to be tested. I can't say the system is very user friendly since its hard to even find the option to adjust the resolution number. defined however, I like the fact that its big and can scan oversize stuff which I happens to have quite a few.
benten
Kamisama - God

Post by benten »

The Canon website indicates that a Vista compatible driver is available for the Canoscan N1240U;

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consu ... ndSoftware