Cel bags?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Promethium
Eiyuu - Hero

Cel bags?

Post by Promethium »

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy archival cel bags these days? Specifically, oversized cel bags?

I went to Michaels, Pearl Paint, art supply stores etc, etc and can't find any! :shrug

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! /thx
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Re: Cel bags?

Post by Shampoo »

I buy mine online occasionally from this place:
http://www.bagsunlimited.com

Curt from Asylum Anime also sells them in bulk (don't know
if its listed on his website) so whenever I drive to visit I pick up a set.

Dick Blick also carries them as does Utrecht Art.
Promethium
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Promethium »

Thanks Shampoo! I think I'm going to go with bagsunlimited.

One more question, have you had any issues with Mylar sleeves? The website says it won't adhere to items place in it, but I've heard mylar sleeves do sometimes stick to the cel. :?

All my cels are in PP cel bags currently and they seem to be doing okay, but it's time to change them and if mylar is better than PP thought I'd go with that. :^^:
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Never buy mylar bags for your cels. They will damage your cels as the paint will stick to them. It's best to stay with polypropylene bags for cels.

My recommendation is that, when you receive a new cel, you change the bag immediately to a PP bag. Never assume that the bag that holds the cel is a PP bag - a lot of sellers use bags made from whatever material is cheap and available.

Most mylar bags are comic book sized, and mylar bags are good for paper items such as douga, backgrounds and shikishi. Unlike PP or PE bags, you won't have to switch out a mylar bag as they are acid free. But, even so, you really won't have to change your PP or PE bags that much either. There is some dispute over how frequently to change bags in regards to cels. My advice is to just check your cels once a year or so. If you notice heavy warping of the plastic bag in areas where it touches the paint, it might be a good idea to change it. I'd also recommend changing your bag more frequently if your cel has vinegar syndrome. Granted, you won't be able to stop that cel's deterioration, but you can at least slow it down.

I buy my bags at Daiso, so I'm dependent on what they have. I still only package my cels in PP bags, but most of my paper artwork is packaged in PE bags. The main difference I see is that PE bags are less transparent but not as rigid as PP bags. I like being able to fold PE bags around paper artwork in order to keep the dust and any possible pests from destroying it. Daiso does sell products online, but they are a very hit and miss store. Every so often they receive a shipment, and it's usually during the type of year where you may not necessarily need it.

Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone have any experience with cels and polyethylene bags?
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Bags Unlimited is inexpensive (free shipping E of the Mississippi) and very quick. I get "Life Magazine Bags" or 10 7/8 x 14 1/4 inches x 1.5 mil. These are just big enough to fit the broad side of a cel or normal-sized sketch in with a generous fold-over (and I don't seal them tight), and also big enough so that nearly all oversized cels and backgrounds will also fit in them narrow side down.

CB, I did use to use PE bags, and had no trouble either with cels or sketches. But they are thicker and more difficult to fold, so I've been using PP bags for some years, though not to the extent that I am rebagging sketches that are already in them. From what I've heard, it's just a matter of taste. I just like the look and feel of PP, but PE is just as good.

It is a good idea to rebag everything you get, paper or plastic. You don't know what you're getting. I even got a cel once that had been wrapped in a sheet recycled from a dry cleaner's bag. Even if it's not archival, it is a good idea to replace any bag that has begun to pucker from contact with the cel paint, as I would expect this indicates a build-up of chemical byproducts that will, sooner or later, start to damage the cel.
Promethium
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Promethium »

Thanks CutieB & Sensei :)

I'm using PP bags now, too. I bought a stash back in the day, but after moving several times I lost the loose ones. I have a bunch of new cels that have no bags and old ones that need rebagging, so need some more!

I once received a cel wrapped in saran wrap back in the day. And it was probably kept that way for at least a few years cuz there was weird yellow mold on it... The horror... /sob

Maybe the previous owner was trying to keep it air tight??? Dunno but cleaning that cel was not fun. X|
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

anyone know which ones to get? i always get the wrong size for normal sized cels. so i wondering.
sensei

Post by sensei »

So long as they are inexpensive (and acid-free) it's better to get slightly larger than just too small. That's why I like "Large Life Magazine Bags" from BagsUnlimited. A normal cel or sketch will fit in them with the wide side down and a generous flap on top, and a background will fit in them narrow side down with a smaller (but adequate) flap on top. Nearly all oversized cels and sketches will fit too, though you may want to fold down one side to make a snugger fit so the cel/sketch doesn't flop around.

"Large Life Magazine Bags" are 10 7/8 inches by 14 1/4 inches. You can choose the mil thickness when you order (I use 1.5 mil).

A valid alternative is Light Impressions ultra clear bags. I have some that are 11 5/18 by 14 5/16, or a little bigger on all sides. Only problem is that if you order from Light Impressions you will have to wait at least six months for delivery, while BagsUnlimited will have them on your doorstep within the week.
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

I have seen paint come off mylar so please don't use it for cels. It is however great for paper. Museums use them for long-term storage.

I use both PE and PP bags for my cels. PP bags are clearer, easier to fold but tears more easily too. The ones I bought from bagsunlimited come with adhesive strip which I cut off. PE bags are hardier but less clear so I choose the thinnest ones which are 2mil. 3 mil is too cloudy. I have to use tape to fold/close them. What I like about PE bags is that they allow the cels to breathe. I see less warping and cloudiness on the bag after the cel has been stored in it for a long time.

I buy just one size - 11 inches by 14 inches for Lobby cards. For oversized cels, I just cut and combine the bags.

Have fun archiving and preserving your goodies! (I'm way behind for mine....it takes so much time X| )
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

I had totally forgotten which bags I ordered the last time I ordered from BagsUnlimited, so thank you, sensei for posting those Life Magazine size bags! BagsUnlimited has some great archival items (I've also snagged the plastic cases for my hubby's original Star Wars figures), but I always seem to get lost trying to find the right size bags for cels on their website X|.

Cordelia -- You mean I'm not the only one who doesn't like the adhesive strips on some of the bags? It always seems like the ones with the adhesive are easier to find. Bleh! I hate those things. I usually cut them off or just never use them, but sometimes if you don't use the adhesive or cut it off, the backing starts to peel up and they start sticking to everything, so then you have to cut them off. X|

Ugh... all of this reminds me that I really need to order more cel books and bags and continue reorganizing and re-bagging. :hurt:
sensei

Post by sensei »

No prob. I'm organizing and bagging my Powerpuff Girls Z sketch collection :D so I had the bag of bags right by my workstation.
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

thanks sensei!

when i get money again, i'll know what to get.