Framing douga?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
dave_fanel

Framing douga?

Post by dave_fanel »

Hi all,

I've got a couple of cels that I'm going to have framed in the next month or so. These cels also have some really amazing sketches that I think I'm going to have framed with them. Has anyone framed douga before? If so what adhesive did you use to attach the paper to the mat? thanks!
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Framing douga?

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

I've only framed one douga and the answer is: "no adhesive". I used photo corner type things that I glued to the mat, then slipped the douga into that. It's not had any issues with slipping out of place or wrinkling and I've had it up for a while now.

Obviously, the paper still needs to stay out of direct light, just like the cels.

Many Sharp Smiles,
--Drac
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

"Direct light" means artificial as well as sunlight, though that is by far the most destructive. I framed a cel that was exposed to not-very-direct fluorescent light in my office, and the trace lines faded badly within a few months. Probably the best alternative is to put a dark curtain over the front that can be flipped back when the cel is being looked at and replaced when it's not. Overall, it seems, the best policy is to expose a cel to light only when it is being actively viewed and leave it in darkness at other times.
Promethium
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Promethium »

I have a cel & douga framed under the "best" UV block glass, acid-free mat, and with no adhesive.
http://promethium.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=333703

You can't see it in the pic, but the framer anchored it with another acid-free mat layer underneath it. Similar to Drac's method. It's been in there for 9 years and I've kept it in a low-light room (low-light that even an ivy plant won't survive) with little to no artificial light, but the trace lines have faded in the cel regardless. Thankfully, the douga is perfectly fine.

When you get it framed, I suggest you tell the framer to specifically not to use any adhesive, use acid-free mat and UV block glass.

If you frame a cel, the trace lines will fade no matter what precautions you take, so I'd only frame cels that you absolutely won't miss and don't mind the quality/value going down. :hurt: Or maybe consider just framing the douga. :^^:

In my case, the Jubei-chan cel/douga was a gift and even if I knew that the trace lines would be faded years later, I still would have gone ahead and framed it. :wink:

Hope this helps. :)
dave_fanel

Post by dave_fanel »

Thanks so much guys!