S/R Labs - Restoration

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Promethium
Eiyuu - Hero

S/R Labs - Restoration

Post by Promethium »

Has anyone sent stuff to S/R Labs to get their cels restored? How was their workmanship/pricing? Or does anyone recommend a different restoration studio?

I have several cels that I would really like to get restored cuz I'm TERRIFIED at the thought of them getting damaged. :l :l :l

My urgent issue is cels with the backgrounds stuck onto them. Eventually, the background paint is going to bleed thru and tint the paint and celluloid. o(≧◇≦)o Nooooo!!

My other issue is cels with the douga stuck onto them. The acid from the douga is going to damage the cel in the long run, so I'd really like to get them removed off the cel before it's too late. The paint used in JP anime cels contain vinyl, which makes it really sticky so the chances of removing the douga safely is not so good... Even with the help of professional restoration studios, I might have to sacrifice the douga to save the cel which is really hard to swallow... :l :l :l

I'm having collector's dilemma...To remove, or not to remove... ( ̄ヘ ̄;)
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: S/R Labs - Restoration

Post by kamidake »

I've only had sketches restored by them before. The prices I think is fair, but they do take a long time to do their work. Ron is very knowledgeable great to talk to if you have questions.
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
Sui Kune
Kamisama - God

Post by Sui Kune »

I sent off several of my cels because of the same worries. They're really knowledgeable and passionate about artwork, and if anyone can unstick something it's them. As Kamidake said though they take a long time, since they have a lot of backlog and other things going on, but I feel 100% at ease knowing they're in the hands of a professional, and that I can call the specific person who'll work on them to check in.

I'm thinking once I get this batch done, I might ask about sending in my vinegar syndrome cels to see if there's anything that can be done about them.

GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

I made a post here about my experience with them a couple of years ago.

If you'd like to read it, here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=25829
ginga123

Post by ginga123 »

i'm in bit of a pickle too. one of my cels wants to become unstuck to its matching douga on its own. only... if i try the Torres lines chip away, causing unnecessary damage. X| i've only made one cautious attempt, and that was definitely my last one.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

I have the same problems with backgrounds and sketches being stuck, I’d love to send them in but I don't want to pay more than what the cel is worth or wind up destroying the backgrounds or sketches. :l
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

If I remember correctly from when Ron addressed a cel collectors panel at AX in Anaheim he said they have no problem removing stuck sketches. I seem to remember that they use a tool simular in size to a pen that uses small high pressure air or water jets to separate them.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Promethium
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Promethium »

kamidake - Thanks for chiming in! Great to hear that you had a good experience with them. *Nervous meter ↓* :^^:

Sui Kune - I didn't even think about my vinegar syndrome cels! 8O If they can do something about that, that'd be wicked awesome. *Nervous meter ↓* :^^:

GuyvarIII - Thanks for the link! OMG, I dunno how you were able to wait that long to get your treasure back! Granted I see they did an incredible job, but close to 3 years...?! Oi.... :O Do you know if they take full responsibility if heaven forbid something happens to the cels - Like a robber/fire breaks out, etc. *Nervous meter ↑↑* X|

Ginga123 - Yipes! Do you have something between the cel and sketch to avoid those parts from sticking? I cut up my PP bags and slide it in between the cel and douga. It's nothing but a band-aid, but at least it maintains its current state from getting worse. :hurt: If you have another strategy pls let me know! *Nervous meter ー*

D123 - I totally hear you. In my case, I'm keeping all my QM and related cels for life so I want to keep them in the best shape possible and keep enjoying them until I "kick the bucket" sorta speak. And I don't want to regret not getting it restored as it disintegrates in my hand a hundred years from now. :D I'm okay with destroying the background to save the cel - as much as its super painful :hurt: But the sketches... :l :l :l *Nervous meter ー*

JWR - I spoke to him on the phone today to get the lo-down and he said he can definitely remove the sketch HOWEVER the sketch may or may not be salvageable depending on the paint mixture they used and how badly it's stuck. :l :l :l I saw in GuyvarIII's post that another LU collector got her LU sketches removed safely, so I'm going to assume he has the right recipe to remove LU sketches intact and send those in eventually. I'm just hoping he can salvage my QM sketches too. *Nervous meter ー*
ginga123

Post by ginga123 »

nope! cel is stuck to back of matching douga and it came that way in a cheap plastic bag. :hurt:
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

Promethium wrote:D123 - I totally hear you. In my case, I'm keeping all my QM and related cels for life so I want to keep them in the best shape possible and keep enjoying them until I "kick the bucket" sorta speak. And I don't want to regret not getting it restored as it disintegrates in my hand a hundred years from now. :D I'm okay with destroying the background to save the cel - as much as its super painful :hurt: But the sketches... :l :l :l *Nervous meter ー*
That's the thing my backgrounds are the matching originals and I couldn't ever bear destroying them the sketches would be painful but I couldn’t handle the backgrounds, they had a huge factor in the price I paid for them X| I hope to keep most my cels for life too but in case something happens and I have to I’d like to know I can get my money back on them :roll:
Mackettric
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Mackettric »

I've had quite a few cels restored/cleaned at S/R labs. They're work is top notch. I've had restoration done elsewhere and not been impressed. Actually, one cel I had restored somewhere else I intend take over to S/R Labs eventually to fix.

I'm not sure if stuck backgrounds warrants a rush to S/R Labs. The majority of my cels have stuck backgrounds. The issues I have with bleed thru tend to be more from cels stored w/ a lot of pressure from being stored stacked with thousands of cels. I've had a few of those fixed, but regular stuck cels... I wouldn't risk it. It's likely if the cels are really stuck to the background, there's going to be quite a lot of restoration needing to fix the cel after it's separated. Ron's great with separating cels & backgrounds, he has specially made tools, I've seen him do it. Sometimes he can separate them with minimal damage to the cel- sometimes there's a lot of paint loss on the cel. If the cel needs to be restored that's one thing- if you're just wanting the backgrounds removed... I'm not sure that's a risk I'd take with my cels.

S/R Labs supposedly had a new technique of separating drawings from cels that saves the drawing. I haven't seen it, I have one cel there to be separated from the drawing, but I gave them permission to destroy the drawing if necessary because the cel needs cleaning. I don't know if they can promise to not destroy the drawing.

S/R labs is quite pricy. Certainly there are restorers who are cheaper. But they're work is top notch. They also aren't very fast. It's taken a year for me to get some cels back from them. But that's big work, restoring 6-7 colors of paint, fixing scratched airbrushing, that sort of thing.
Promethium
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Promethium »

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I've been dealing with Irene-related blackouts and just discovered it's time to change my roof thanks to her. :hurt:

D123 - Ah, yeah. If they're matching that makes it extra hard! X| I feel your pain. :l

Mackettric - Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to know SO MANY people give S/R Labs their stamp of approval. I called them and they said the wait time is 2 years right now. :hurt: My new roof is going to set me back over $7K in the immediate future :l so I figured I wouldn't be able to afford it, but they told me I don't have to pay until it's done so I think I'm going to send them in. :)