When you start questioning the basic...

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

When you start questioning the basic...

Post by kizu »

Since I started collecting in 2006 I've had several storage changes to preserve my cels. 1st was the cheap, backing board+polypropylene sheet+hanging file folders, 2nd was Itoya+polypro sheets, 3rd was Archival Scrapbook+polypro+landscape Art Profolios, 4th was Prat+polypro 5th Prat+porlypro+shallow drawers+polypro+archival briefcases+rigid sleeves+polypro.

I -thought- I finally found for me the best storage solution for some of my most precious pieces and that is "archival briefcases+rigid sleeves+polypro". I can just pullout that briefcase whenever I want and with the rigid sleeve can handle the cel knowing it protected and doesn't bend. But now comes this http://library2.jfku.edu/Museum_Studies ... torage.pdf and I start questioning whether Plastic sheets (for most of us Polypropolyne - but some use Mylar) can be used at all with cels. At least two people didn't recommend it and from what I gather it seems it's better to store your cels in a micro-chamber or solander box with only glassine or maybe archival envelopes in between. Also like most of us know we separate the art by media, for most collectors this is done using plastic sheets.

Argh... I will never find a truly good way of preserving my cels! :kaioken
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: When you start questioning the basic...

Post by sensei »

I'll just say that the author's recommendation to monitor your collection constantly is the best advice. That includes both visual and olfactory inspection. A strong "vinegar" smell spells trouble, as does trace line and paint changes. That said, the cels from my "core" collection (9-11 years in polypro + Itoya storage) show no negative changes. From the emphasis of this report, I'd say the real issue concerns cels painted on nitrate stock, which is much less stable than acetate, and prone to sudden changes.

But the point is well taken: cels come with intrinsic vice, and if you're not willing to deal with it in the long run, you might as well pass on your collection to hands that will spend as much time -- or more -- on conservation as on auction sites browsing for new wishlist pretties.
kizu

Post by kizu »

Yeah it had a lot of coverage on nitrate cels. Which aside from 1 series that I collect isn't really relevant to my collection anymore. But what caught my eye was page 41-42 (I believe) when they said plastic sleeves (or some variation of the name) wasn't recommended for preservation purposes.
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Thanks for sharing that article. I have learnt much from it, especially about the history of animation.

Polypropylene and polyethylene have many grades, I use the archival grade and so far things seem ok. They do get 'cloudy' after a while so I change them when that happens.

Besides choosing the right kind of storage material (which there seems to be no definite consensus on), I think it is important to keep cels stored in a controlled environment e.g. a dry cabinet in say a constantly cooled area/ air-conditioned room.

Unfortunately cels were never made to last, so like sensei pointed out, we must also check our collection regularly to spot any deterioration quickly. It is also a good opportunity to air the cels (and admire them) and let any weird smelling gases escape.

I try to keep up with preservation of all my collection but it takes a lot of time and so far I've been falling behind :?
kizu

Post by kizu »

You're welcome! I scour the internet for information on animation cel collecting all the time. It's really fascinating, although I wish there was more source material. I use archival grade polypro as well... Although the toploaders I use are probably not archival (otherwise the merchant would say so as I get my polypro from them and they say its archival).