right way to store cel's stapled to the matching background

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

right way to store cel's stapled to the matching background

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

recently I got quite a few cels with this problem, some are even multiple layers. I received all of them bagged with their background stapled with cel(s). I'm sure just about every collector out there have their own way of dealing with storing this kinda cel so If anyone can help me out and share some insights they will be more appreciated!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: right way to store cel's stapled to the matching backgro

Post by cutiebunny »

Simply put, take out the staples.

Staples have a tendency to rust, and you don't want that getting on your cel or background. Most common staple removers are far too damaging to be used on your items,so, you might want to consider using your fingernails to do the job. You may have to slowly remove the staple one layer at a time. Just be careful as the prongs of the staple have a tendency to scratch acetate.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Are the cels separable from the backgrounds or are they stuck? If you can separate them without adding damage (if they have been stored together, they almost always are somewhat damaged already), then bag the background separate from the cel.

If they are stuck tight, then you really have no choice: bag them up together. A sheet of microchamber paper behind the background might be a good way to avoid future damage.

Yes, take the staples out, as gently as you can, either way.
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

I take out the staples slowly (with fingernails or back of stapler), and bag the cel and the background in different sleeves. For the cel, I cut one side of the sleeves off to let the cel breathe. Then I attach bagged cel to front of bagged background with archival tape and store them in a folder. With so many layers of plastic, I use thin and clear sleeves to maximise viewing pleasure.

I also try to air the cels once in a while to let any gases escape.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

sensei wrote:Are the cels separable from the backgrounds or are they stuck? If you can separate them without adding damage (if they have been stored together, they almost always are somewhat damaged already), then bag the background separate from the cel.

If they are stuck tight, then you really have no choice: bag them up together. A sheet of microchamber paper behind the background might be a good way to avoid future damage.

Yes, take the staples out, as gently as you can, either way.
@cutiebunny: its a bit hard for me to imagine the staples rust onto the cel, but I never had cel stapled onto background so I better take greater care and take them out just in case.

@sensei: most cels are separable from the background, a few are taped to the background due to being multi-layers. the problem however, quite a few pieces are 2,3 or even 4 layer cels on top of background, so taking out the staples and they'd be hard to bag still. I might have to put those clear paper under each layer. btw, where do you get clear paper?

@Cordelia: great idea there. I'll should do it this way too. but most backgrounds are pretty huge, where do you find bags from them?

does anyone know where I can get a bunch of normal size to slightly oversize cel bags? if I were to do all this work I might as well replace the bags for them as well.
sensei

Post by sensei »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:@sensei: most cels are separable from the background, a few are taped to the background due to being multi-layers. the problem however, quite a few pieces are 2,3 or even 4 layer cels on top of background, so taking out the staples and they'd be hard to bag still. I might have to put those clear paper under each layer. btw, where do you get clear paper?
Ooogies. You might need to scan the items as they now are, and then consider it a matter of conservation and long-term storage. Trying to keep them easily viewable in a cel book might risk damaging them in some way. When I can, I bag layers separately and away from the background. More people will see the scan than the actual cels anyhow. If the layers are taped to the background, the sensible thing to do would be to take a craft knife and very carefully slit the tape to release the cels from the background. Then use a solvent to remove the tape from the background, or it will in time discolor and damage that. (Celotape doesn't effect cels as dramatically). If you want to keep the layers together, you can take a cel bag and slit it down all three sides. That will give you two sheets to put between cel layers. But for long-term storage you many not want to keep all the layers in the same bag, since if one starts to go bad, the fumes will damage the others as well.
does anyone know where I can get a bunch of normal size to slightly oversize cel bags? if I were to do all this work I might as well replace the bags for them as well.
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5305-lar ... leeve.aspx

Bags Unlimited is a great supplier. Their "Large Life Magazine" bags are just big enough to fit a regular-sized cel, long side first, with a generous fold-over. And they are also just big enough to fit most backgrounds, narrow side first, with just enough to fold over and seal. I often bag the cel and the bg, then fit the cel bag over top of the background, fold on the top, flap going down behind the bg. Then I secure it on the back with a strip of scrapbooker's tape. As the tape is only on the outside of the two bags, you do not risk damage to either one.

If some of your backgrounds are bigger yet, explore the Bags Unlimited site, as they stock a huge variety of bag sizes, from collector card size to barn wall sized (for people who collect Pennsylvania Dutch hex signs).

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing your pretties when RS is back up.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

sensei wrote:Ooogies. You might need to scan the items as they now are, and then consider it a matter of conservation and long-term storage. Trying to keep them easily viewable in a cel book might risk damaging them in some way. When I can, I bag layers separately and away from the background. More people will see the scan than the actual cels anyhow. If the layers are taped to the background, the sensible thing to do would be to take a craft knife and very carefully slit the tape to release the cels from the background. Then use a solvent to remove the tape from the background, or it will in time discolor and damage that. (Celotape doesn't effect cels as dramatically). If you want to keep the layers together, you can take a cel bag and slit it down all three sides. That will give you two sheets to put between cel layers. But for long-term storage you many not want to keep all the layers in the same bag, since if one starts to go bad, the fumes will damage the others as well.
yes there is the point of viewing only scans anyways, I however sometimes flip through the folders to "confirm the face value" of what I had paid for. your brilliant strategy of bagging cel and background and tape together would be applicable for me :)

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5305-lar ... leeve.aspx

done, thanks for the link and advise, I think 100 bags would last me a good while...every site nowadays accepts paypal, talk about convenient.
Looking forward to seeing your pretties when RS is back up.
haha, not so sure about that. I recently acquired a large portion of cel that rivals my combine collection of cels from other titles thus far, the trouble is, its all from an adult title and I know many people are sensitive and not pleased about those titles...but I'll prably update them anyways since I would consider it a rare title that few have ever heard of.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Pecs, pecs, nothin' but pecs! Image Image Image :bounce Image Image Image Show! Show! :flasher:

While it's true that hentai art can be displayed in a rude and offensive way, I know there are many RS curators who collect and display sexually suggestive or explicit art. True, it's worth putting up a special thumbnail that warns drop-in visitors that certain items may be offensive. But in truth there are lots of nudes and highly suggestive scenes in art galleries as well, in spite of the officious folks who try to pin fig leaves on all the private parts. If it's good anime art, it's worth including, with warnings as before said.

Do go easy with that craft knife. It is very easy to go past the tape and cut a little slit into the watercolor as well, as I've found in some of the pieces that had been separated before they went up for sale. Still, even that's better than trying to rip off the celotape, which I've also seen in lots I've bought. Primum non nocere. (Don't make things worse than they already are.)
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

I buy from bagsunlimited too. For bigger backgrounds and cels, I cut and combine the bags together. I just buy one size 11 inches x 14 inches.

I scan them just once, high res, before bagging them or it will be too much trouble later. :) Happy archiving your collection!
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

sensei wrote:If it's good anime art, it's worth including
@sensei:that has always been my believe as well :D I'll definitely get to this within this month. I'd start the scanning process soon but I also ordered some itoya as well as a storage/carry case for them so after the scan I can just store them away all in one process. unfortunately according to ups tracking they won't be here till later this month, what a hold back-_- in the main time, I'm also getting some commissioned resin kits arriving this months and I always thought about uploading a photo section for my collection on those and my anime figurine collection, think this would be the month for that as well :)

with the tape problem I wonder if I can...very carefully remove them with bare hands. I have a bit of problem controlling my strength when it comes to tiny details, also my hands would be a bit shaky as well with a knife so I will have to try hands first. wish me luck..in a few weeks :D

@Cordelia: Thanks, my intention exactly :)

btw, do you guys think about those exact fit bags sold on midori's site and how are they compared to the ones sold on bagsunlimited? one size fits all certainly is very convenient, but I'd like to have a variety of options when it comes to storing vintage and I think this is the kind of bag that many japanese cel dealers use for their cels right?
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

done! everything uploaded onto rubberslug, total of 50 pieces which costs me nearly 2.5K as well as many hours of work to scan, re-bag and edit the images. feel free to take a look if interested.