Disney Collectors *Help*

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Disney Collectors *Help*

Post by D123 »

I’m looking in collecting Disney artwork at least I’m considering it, and well I’m totally clueless :emb I know already some sites that specifically sell Disney and I’m confident I can tell the different cels apart and most fakes... But what I’m not confident in is drawings which I’m interested in most. Is there any ways I can tell an authentic from a fake for when I look for artwork from non reputable sites like ebay? :^^:

Any help sketch or cel wise would be greatly appreciated to this Disney newbie :bow :D
Last edited by D123 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: Disney Collectors

Post by kira »

you should probably pm/email star-phoenix(sp?). she collects a lot of disney and would be the person to ask.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

kira wrote:you should probably pm/email star-phoenix(sp?). she collects a lot of disney and would be the person to ask.
Maybe I will, I just don’t want to be rude or anything PM’ing for help out of the blue :emb
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

Nobody? Image

This I found very alarming when I was searching for any info to help me,
http://www.filmbuffonline.com/FBOLNewsr ... forgeries/
http://disneyfakes.blogspot.com/
one of the reasons I was never interested in collecting Disney ( besides being very expensive ) is the high risks of fakes, I really can’t tell THAT easily like I normally could with Japanese animation art.

I already found some art I’m very interested in buying but now I’m not sure, the risk of fakes seem too highImage
Kasi
Juuyaku - Executive

Re: Disney Collectors *Help*

Post by Kasi »

After looking at those links it sure does seem worrying! I much the same would be pretty skeptical buying anything Disney from Ebay. I think the best option might be to find sellers on there that are also backed up by their business sites. It's a shame the trouble counterfeit sketches and cels bring along :(
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

Kasi wrote:After looking at those links it sure does seem worrying! I much the same would be pretty skeptical buying anything Disney from Ebay. I think the best option might be to find sellers on there that are also backed up by their business sites. It's a shame the trouble counterfeit sketches and cels bring along :(
Yeah one of them appears to be in an RS’ers gallery :( but then I found this link here http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/most- ... eries.html disclaiming they’re fakesImage

I think it would be best too, I did find some online galleries’ that sell artwork I believe are reputable, still I’m a little skeptical since this is all new to me and the high risk of fakes.

I wish I had some guidance on Disney in general so I don’t go into this blindly Image
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

Wow, I just saw this posting. I have been so out of the loop lately.

If you still have questions, feel free to drop me an e-mail. I never bought a Disney sketch. But, I know a 'few' things about it to help you out. But, definitely be very very careful on Ebay. I was just discussing a possible fake sketch on Ebay that someone posted up and asked for higher resolution images before the seller just flat out ignored me and did not respond to my multiple e-mails. Honestly, I could not rule in or rule out its authenticity. Fortunately, the item never sold.

Vintage cels are a bit easier to pick out authentic vs. fake, but can also be super hard. I am much better with cels than sketches.

Anyway, if you still have questions, feel free to drop me a PM. I am definitely no expert at it, but I am more than happy to pick at it and ask around. :-)
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

star-phoenix wrote:Wow, I just saw this posting. I have been so out of the loop lately.

If you still have questions, feel free to drop me an e-mail. I never bought a Disney sketch. But, I know a 'few' things about it to help you out. But, definitely be very very careful on Ebay. I was just discussing a possible fake sketch on Ebay that someone posted up and asked for higher resolution images before the seller just flat out ignored me and did not respond to my multiple e-mails. Honestly, I could not rule in or rule out its authenticity. Fortunately, the item never sold.

Vintage cels are a bit easier to pick out authentic vs. fake, but can also be super hard. I am much better with cels than sketches.

Anyway, if you still have questions, feel free to drop me a PM. I am definitely no expert at it, but I am more than happy to pick at it and ask around. :-)
Thank you! /lv I will definitely be PM’ing you in the future with a few questions when I’m ready :^^: