Green Camera Sheet???? (What is this?)

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
AerynAerie
Otaku - Fanatic

Green Camera Sheet???? (What is this?)

Post by AerynAerie »

I purchased a Cel Set which came with many oversized sketches and multiple layers of cels. It was sent in the original Studio Envelope with the Episode number and multiple notes. Within it was this sheet (pictured below) but I'm not sure what it is. Can anyone tell me what it is?? The sheet is actually much longer than this and multiple pages. I just scanned a small portion. Is it a timing sheet?
Thanks!!!
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: Green Camera Sheet???? (What is this?)

Post by ReiTheJelly »

As far as I know, that is a timing sheet. It helps them know exactly when each sequence is filmed.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

Ditto. Its a timing sheet.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Yes, this is the sheet where the animator responsible for this scene worked out how it was supposed to be filmed. The column on the left ("ACTION") works out how the key images (circled numbers) are supposed to work with the inbetweeners. These are worked out more completely in the center column ("CELL"). The numbers represent fractions of seconds, with 24 lines making up one second (the bold line marked "1"). From what I can see, this cut begins with a very rapid (12-to-a-second) alternation of the C level, while the A and B levels don't change. That suggests something like a glimmering eye effect.

Meantime there seems to be some kind of complicated "CAMERA" effect, maybe an imitation of a "hand-held" effect with the frame shaking up and down and side to side as it "tracks back" ("TB" slowly during the scene).

In the continuation of the cut in the columns to the right, I can see that there is some spoken dialogue, which is what gets pencilled in to the "S" column. So the B level must be a mouth layer, as you can see that it changes with the individual sounds written out to the right. ("1" I'd guess is "closed mouth.") I see that the C-level "glimmer" continues on.

On the top, you can see the episode number, the title of the series, the cut (or scene) number, how much screen time it takes up (ten seconds, a long cut for anime), the name of the "Animater" who was responsible for the scene, and a couple of stamps that show when it was approved and filmed. The "MEMO" spells out the special effects that need to be used during this cut. I know that "T B" means "track back," or pan away from the character, and maybe someone with better Japanese could work out the rest.

Congratulations! I always feel like I'm in possession of a lot of information when I get hold of one of these.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Since everyone else already told you it's a timing sheet...

*Jealous* You got a studio envelope from Wing??? WAH! :) That's awesome! :cheers