Are settei/settings worth collecting??

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Thanatos
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Re: Are settei/settings worth collecting??

Post by Thanatos »

So finally, the settei were sold for almost 60000 yens. I still find crazy, but X|...
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

Thanks to the Mandarake Big Web Auction, I just got a copy settei set from the 1987 “Tale of Genji” anime, directed by Gisaburo Sugii (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmw6hvyOz5U).

I was the only bidder …
But, I feel pretty lucky to have won the set. It was only recently that I was able to acquire a cel from this movie, and I’ve never seen any other settei. Here are some sample images:

(And, sure enough, they were held together with those rusting staples! :x )
Joost
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Joost »

It's like said before, sometimes its the only art you ever going to see from some shows
The one and only settei I every bought was BECK http://senseighibli.rubberslug.com/gall ... esID=22195
And still its about the only art I have ever seen, even no other settei.

These 3 where sold as original settei sketches, before the where copied : http://senseighibli.rubberslug.com/gall ... esID=18729
But those you can count as real sketches I suppose :-)
teppy
Anime Geek

Post by teppy »

animejewell wrote:Original Settei are very worth collecting. The beauty of the work is amazing. I have a couple sets and if I saw some more from series that I like I would by them instantly. Original settei and original storyboards, especially the ones finely drawn, are very collectable and can be very expensive as they are drawn by the key animators or character designer.
I have a couple photocopy sets too and like everybody else has said, they are fun to have but only worth the cost of the paper they are copied on.

Animejewell
Is there any way to tell if the settei or storyboard in a given auction is original (if the auction is on YJ for instance) or is it safer to assume that more settei and storyboards that come up for auctions are copies?
Looking for: Excellent cels of Misa Hayase from Macross.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

teppy wrote:Is there any way to tell if the settei or storyboard in a given auction is original (if the auction is on YJ for instance) or is it safer to assume that more settei and storyboards that come up for auctions are copies?
I think it's safe to assume that any settei or storyboard up for auction is a photocopy, unless the seller makes a point of stating that it is "handwritten" or "autograph." Originals do exist and do come up for auction occasionally (more often on Mandarake than YJ). But as these are normally distributed to an animation staff in photocopy form, it's much more likely that the auction is for a first-generation or perhaps even a later-generation copy.