would like advise on storing oversize artwork.

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

would like advise on storing oversize artwork.

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

so I got some 20-30ish inch cel sequence mates that I really didn't have the place for, nothing expensive so I'm not worried about them getting damaged but I have no cel bag for them and am forced to fold them a bit when storing them inside storage boxes...I would like to know how other beta members store their oversize cels and would like advise on equipments needed.

Thanks in advance!
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: would like advise on storing oversize artwork.

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

The best solution I've come up with is to take two large pieces of thick, acid-free foam core, which is fairly cheap, and cut them both to the same size, a few inches larger than the cel(s) on all sides. Use packing tape on one edge to make a huge "folder" out of the two pieces of foam core. The cels can then be put into this folder. If you're creative enough with the packing tape, you can even make a band that will wrap around the whole thing and slide on/off the open edge of the foam core folder to hold it snug shut.

It's far from a perfect solution, but I have four things that could literally be stored NO other way.... If someone else has a better idea, I would love to put it in action. ^_^

Many Sharp Smiles,
--Drac
Mackettric
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Mackettric »

I've found a few things at art supply stores that work for storing very large oversized cels/artwork. There are these Alvin print protectors that are archival plastic sleeves, they run about $20 for poster size art, that stored in a large padded art portfolio folder would work.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/alvin ... rotectors/
http://www.dickblick.com/products/alvin ... ortfolios/
http://www.dickblick.com/products/alvin ... ortfolios/
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-576-arch ... ctors.aspx
Bags Unlimited has poly bags for almost any size poster too. A poly bag & Artcare 8 ply matboard would be a pretty decent storage option.

There's also flat portfolios with flaps that work great. Some are more archival than others. These work great for shipping larger art pieces too.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/cache ... ortfolios/
http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/catalo ... a_id=12392

For more expensive artwork, there are Solander museum cases that go up to 30 x 40 but those are quite expensive and you might as well just go with a flat file.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

For a lot of my larger pieces I bought a 16 X 20 Itoya book that works well.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I have the biggest Itoya Profolio, 18" x 24", which holds just about everything.

For the rest, I have a huge storage box that I got from Light Impressions before this company ran into financial problems and stopped filling orders. Bags Unlimited, I see, has some huge storage boxes available in their poster section: they go up to 27" x 41" I don't know what the shipping would be to Australia, though. That might be prohibitive, as these storage boxes are normally shipped already put together rather than flat.

My advice would be to check with a photo supplies outfit that ships within Australia or with the scrapbooking section of your local craft store.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks guys! I like the making your own folder idea but lack the material to do so, so I decided to save myself some work and just order a storage box from bagsunlimited...I do have a 18X24 itoya but they don't fit one side of the cel so I would need something larger overall. I think the cels measures at around 10.5x28ish.

although as safe as storage box seems to sound I don't think leaving cel in a box bare wouldn't be for the best, does anyone know if there are some kind of bagging materials for this kind of unique size cel?

@sensei, I'm actually in states so bagsunlimited would work for me :)
sensei

Post by sensei »

Sorry UBL: I knew that but somehow something you or someone in the thread said got me thinking Down Under.

Bagsunlimited (as the name suggests) has a virtually endless variety of bag sizes. They do make Mylar sleeves that are over 30" on the long side, as well as poster protectors. They are pricey, however, and I've heard people say that Mylar can stick to cel paint and vice versa.

So far as I can tell, they don't make a PolyPro or Polyethelene bag that big. But you could buy a set of the ones that are 14 1/4" on the long side and put one on each end of your long cel, then tape the two together in the middle. You'll need to slit one of the bags down the side a little way so the other will fit inside it. But it would be a less expensive solution than getting a batch of bags the size you need for one item.

Once the cel is bagged safely, then you can use a foam board or something else to support it. Unless you have a lot of large items (I do, thanks to Takashi Nakamura's obsession for A Tree of Palme and my willingness to bid on things Japanese collectors wouldn't think of trying to house) I'd say a homemade secure slip for it would be the best solution.
benten
Kamisama - God

Post by benten »

You might want to look at Itoya's ImageEnvelope

http://www.itoya.com/Catalogs/Profolio/ ... velope.htm

They have a 24"x36" storage envelope (AE-24-36).
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

@sensei, no problem :) and I like the bag idea. in fact, I have some of those 14 bags and also 18 size, think I'm going to combine the two and fold and tape the extra space on the top/bottom of the larger of the two, that way I don't need to cut the bags. need to wait for the box to arrive prably before doing any bagging.

@benten, imageenvelope is good idea as well since it gives more protection because I can't order a cel book of this size. the only thing preventing me from getting them now is that I had bad exp ordering them in the past from amazon...they shipped one to me with a thin layer of plasitc outside the envelope to protect it during shipping and it arrived to me with bunch of dents on both sides of it and I had to trash it-_-" maybe next time I'll order them in larger quantity for combine ship and contact the shipper before doing so.
Mackettric
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Mackettric »

Bagsunlimited has larger poly bags in the poster section. http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-85-poly- ... ?pagenum=2&
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

bagsunlimited to me is like a virtual maze full of collector gears, thanks for pointing out those bag location :)

looking at the size of those poster bags, 2 bag one cel can now be reversed to 2 cel per bag, which is a great idea actually. fold in the middle of shorter side of the bag I'd be able to fit the cels back to back with layers in between.