line fading, resurrecting a not so new topic

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

line fading, resurrecting a not so new topic

Post by ginga123 »

any home remedy tips for line fading? ive been sifting through the archives n didnt really see a topic specifically related to this. I use unsealed bags n change them annually with gloves. theyre kept in itoya portfolios away from light. try to store them at normal room temps

I think ive covered just about everything exce onept: does it matter which studio produced the cels n does it play a role in line fading along with age? I noticed this afternoon that one character had more fading than another and started ti wonder if quality of materials used had a role in it too?
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: line fading, resurrecting a not so new topic

Post by sensei »

I recall that a number of theories have been broached on this forum. In my experience the most likely is that line fading results from a reaction between the plasticizer used to attach the powdered carbon to the cel and the chemistry of the cel itself, which is unstable and prone to deterioration over time. I don't know of any professional chemical tests that have verified this, but I do know that the distinctive aroma that you can smell when you change a cel bag seems to be the same as the smell of a stack of hot paper photocopies fresh out of the machine. (It's the plasticizer evaporating in the air.)

That said, many collectors have noted that cels from some studios fade more often and more quickly than others. Toei is one of the common offenders, especially compared with cels from their competitor Nippon. I've never seen a really badly faded Nippon cel, but the tendency of Sailor Moon cels to go "soft" is notorious. Also, some colors, especially oranges and dark browns, seem to encourage fading. As no one knows exactly what brand paints were used, or what they contain, it's not clear what's going on, but many paints are made with chemically active ingredients, such as strontium chromate (orange) that may be reacting with the plasticizer or the carbon powder or the cel or all three. Some paints may be "hotter" than others, and so it's possible that Nippon happened to stock cel paint that was more durable than Toei's.

In some cases, even UV-resistent glass does not prevent fading, and I'd guess that in all these cases the paint and the presence of light function as catalysts, speeding up the reaction between the cel and the trace line that causes fading. From what I've read (and there is an interesting report on long-term storage of cels done as an MA thesis by a Museum Studies student) the most effective remedy is to maintain the cels at a steady temperature (68 degrees F/20 degrees C), exclude light, and physically inspect them regularly to look for trouble. MicroChamber boards/paper are also recommended to trap and neutralize the fumes emitted during deterioration, which can speed up the damage (which is why you're right to leave the bags unsealed).

Other chemically-savvy collectors?
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

sensei wrote:I recall that a number of theories have been broached on this forum. In my experience the most likely is that line fading results from a reaction between the plasticizer used to attach the powdered carbon to the cel and the chemistry of the cel itself, which is unstable and prone to deterioration over time. I don't know of any professional chemical tests that have verified this, but I do know that the distinctive aroma that you can smell when you change a cel bag seems to be the same as the smell of a stack of hot paper photocopies fresh out of the machine. (It's the plasticizer evaporating in the air.)

That said, many collectors have noted that cels from some studios fade more often and more quickly than others. Toei is one of the common offenders, especially compared with cels from their competitor Nippon. I've never seen a really badly faded Nippon cel, but the tendency of Sailor Moon cels to go "soft" is notorious. Also, some colors, especially oranges and dark browns, seem to encourage fading. As no one knows exactly what brand paints were used, or what they contain, it's not clear what's going on, but many paints are made with chemically active ingredients, such as strontium chromate (orange) that may be reacting with the plasticizer or the carbon powder or the cel or all three. Some paints may be "hotter" than others, and so it's possible that Nippon happened to stock cel paint that was more durable than Toei's.

In some cases, even UV-resistent glass does not prevent fading, and I'd guess that in all these cases the paint and the presence of light function as catalysts, speeding up the reaction between the cel and the trace line that causes fading. From what I've read (and there is an interesting report on long-term storage of cels done as an MA thesis by a Museum Studies student) the most effective remedy is to maintain the cels at a steady temperature (68 degrees F/20 degrees C), exclude light, and physically inspect them regularly to look for trouble. MicroChamber boards/paper are also recommended to trap and neutralize the fumes emitted during deterioration, which can speed up the damage (which is why you're right to leave the bags unsealed).

Other chemically-savvy collectors?
About Toei, if you see how they pilled the artworks more bad than any existing corporate on earth using blueprints archives, well... that explains a lot why Toei cels are more damaged.
Itoya storage is dangerous too, as you increase the quantity of acetate in a same breathing place, reducing the requirements to activate time damages through the catalysis phenomenon.

From the head of collectible conservation museum office in France, the unique way to restore lines is to pray and to light candles.
He's not that sure about UV and do offer more damages to infrared that do increase temperature and then easily activate the animation cel catalysis phenomenon.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
sensei

Post by sensei »

Prayer won't do any harm and just might help a little (St. Osamu is the preferred target, I understand). But I'd worry about the candles because of the soot and carbon dioxide they add to the air in the room. Plus, of course, the possibility of a fire, which would deform and melt the cel sheets.

In case of vinegar syndrome (which does affect some of my cels) the only remedy is cold, dry storage, as in a small refrigerator stored in a garage and not also used for beer or other groceries at the same time (as humidity also harms cels).
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

sensei wrote:In case of vinegar syndrome (which does affect some of my cels) the only remedy is cold, dry storage, as in a small refrigerator stored in a garage and not also used for beer or other groceries at the same time (as humidity also harms cels).
Take consideration of the fridge technology, "no frost" is way higher than "static" that is wet. Minibar technology (positive cold gaz) works fine too.
Mackettric
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Mackettric »

With Toei cels, I think much of the issue with line browning and fading is how the cel was made. The lines weren't great to begin with and no amount of proper storage is going to change that. I've done a few experiments with a few cheap GI Joe cels (animated by Toei) with really nice lines to see if I could make the lines fade. I stored it in a hot environment, I left it in the sun, lines stayed nice. Yet I've had cels stored perfectly that the lines are continuing to deteriorate. I've just come to the conclusion that there's not much you can do if the lines are really bad except get them restored professionally before they get to the point they can't be restored.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Mackettric wrote:With Toei cels, I think much of the issue with line browning and fading is how the cel was made. The lines weren't great to begin with and no amount of proper storage is going to change that. I've done a few experiments with a few cheap GI Joe cels (animated by Toei) with really nice lines to see if I could make the lines fade. I stored it in a hot environment, I left it in the sun, lines stayed nice. Yet I've had cels stored perfectly that the lines are continuing to deteriorate. I've just come to the conclusion that there's not much you can do if the lines are really bad except get them restored professionally before they get to the point they can't be restored.
Your inner location is the start point to decide actions. Here I've setted up a 68°F / 52% HR environment that can be consider as excellent, without proceeding any excessive costs.
Cels are unitary and verticaly stored in order to avoid any contamination. No Itoya portfolios, only unpainted carton and unitary packing, done this since 1999 while working in an archive department.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

thanks everyone, your advice has elightened me once more. i think that restoration will be my next course of action over the next few years. is it affordable? i know it will be worth it in the long run when you take a look at the bigger picture.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

ginga123 wrote:is it affordable?
I'll answer with a restoration condition, under $2000 art value, the potential resale value increase you'll earn by restoring a piece is non effective.
Basically to restore an animation art, focus on high end only as costs will be hundreds of $$$ per art.
sensei

Post by sensei »

If you have the douga, you can trace (or get someone with a steadier hand) to trace a new set of lines on a clear sheet of acetate. That is sometimes a more responsible solution than reinforcing the lines on the front of the original cel, where if you make a mistake or do a sloppy job, it further compromises the integrity of the object.
Mackettric
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Mackettric »

iceman57 wrote:
ginga123 wrote:is it affordable?
I'll answer with a restoration condition, under $2000 art value, the potential resale value increase you'll earn by restoring a piece is non effective. Basically to restore an animation art, focus on high end only as costs will be hundreds of $$$ per art.
I don't think resale value is the only factor in deciding to have a cel restored. I've spent quite a lot (sometimes more than $500+ per cel) to restore some cels that aren't worth $2000 but the artwork is quite rare and IMO, worth restoring and preserving. Certain series like D&D, there are so few pieces left, it makes sense to restore it while it's still possible, not for the potential value but to save the cel. Once the lines are too far gone, they cannot be restored. I've taken cels to SR labs for restoration that only have value to me, they're cels I love and want to be preserved in the best state possible. Not every cel with line fading but when the lines are really bad and getting worse, if you love a piece it's worth a few hundred dollars (or more) to have it restored.

I'm getting pickier about the condition of cels, even a cel going for a few hundred dollars, if the lines are horrible, it really detracts from the artwork. I just wonder if it's really just dealers who don't want to take condition into account when pricing cels for sale. Lines are gone, chipped paint, who cares price the art the same as something that doesn't need $500 worth of restoration.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Mackettric wrote:I don't think resale value is the only factor in deciding to have a cel restored.
You're totally right, that's just one of the motivation, rest is love of art. I restored some that don't have such value.