Cel Storage - Filing Box?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Siye

Cel Storage - Filing Box?

Post by Siye »

Hello there Everyone!

I'm new to cel collecting, but having acquired a few cels now I'm not very satisfied with using the "standard" Itoya folders, since it feels like my cels move around far too much inside the folder.

Has anyone been able to find a filing system or box that is large enough to handle cels?

Something that can atleast fit 14x17 inches.

Something like this:

http://www.vaultz.net/file_boxes_and_totes/VZ01008

But larger perhaps?

Thanks!
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

Re: Cel Storage - Filing Box?

Post by HigurashiArchives »

Don't know if you got an answer but I use these:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick ... ell-boxes/

Acid free, archival safe!
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

The benefit to the file boxes is that they allow you to store cels in a vertical position, which the Blick archival boxes do not (I have both, actually). I've used file boxes before, and my biggest problem has always been height -- they're OK for cels, but sketches get dicey. For this and many other reasons, I've been working on getting my husband's and my collection back into Itoyas which can be hung or kept vertical.

I currently use the Blick archival boxes for really oversized stuff (we have some cels and sketches that are just positively huge and cannot be stored safely nearly any other way. ;)
AR-99
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by AR-99 »

Is there any difference between using a file box vs. a filing cabinet with hanging folders?
Matt
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Matt »

HI,

I use the Vaultz boxes. They are very rugged and safe but are a little expensive. All my cels and sketches (american & Anime) fit into top loaders then are placed in the vaultz box. I do have one Itoya cel folder that I keep for over-sized cels. I find that the boxes are a lot more manageable than my old stack (13) of Itoya folders.

- Matt
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

Matt wrote:HI,

I use the Vaultz boxes. They are very rugged and safe but are a little expensive. All my cels and sketches (american & Anime) fit into top loaders then are placed in the vaultz box. I do have one Itoya cel folder that I keep for over-sized cels. I find that the boxes are a lot more manageable than my old stack (13) of Itoya folders.

- Matt
Hi Matt, this maybe OT but I wanted to know since I use top loaders myself for important art... Do you use top loader specifically for cels with backgrounds? How did you deal with cels that have no background (as I'd imagine it would be too big for 11x14 size top loaders and 9x12 top loaders would be too small to keep the genga. I have been thinking of vault boxes too but I'm not sure how'd the top loaders would keep up straight without some sort of hanging files. So for now I use top loaders and art portfolios similar to an attache case.
Matt
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Matt »

Hi Kizu,

I use 11 x 14 top loaders for all my art, gengas, dougas, cels, cels with background etc. A couple of my backgrounds stick out of the top loader about an eight of an inch or so but I haven't had any problems with that. The cels with the backgrounds are pretty sturdy in the top loaders The background is bagged, then the cel is bagged then placed in the top loader. Placing a cel by itself is a little tricky as there is not too much to keep it rugged, just the cel and cel bag. For "important" cels I put an acid free board in the top loader then place the bagged cel into the top loader. The board gives it a little more stiffness. For paper artwork ie genga, douga, drawings etc I place each one into a 2 or 4 mil Mylar bag along with a piece of micro-chamber paper and a .40 carbon buffered, acid free board. Then place all that into a top loader and file it away. As far as filing goes I place all the top loaders in the box and there ya go. To make markers for each section I first started out with just post it notes but have now upgraded to a thick piece of paper with the title of each section and rotate through. One on the left, next series title page goes on the right etc etc.

A quick warning: The Vaultz boxes are great but the top loaders have to slant a little to allow the lid to close. To make sure the art doesn't curl, the top loaders will protect the art but what I did was place a thick piece of cardboard against the back of the box and then put in all my art in top loaders. The cardboard acts as a buffer in case any top loaders want to slant the items in the box. Also, keep in mind while I found this to be the best way to store art, I have almost 20 years under my belt, this way is rather expensive. As I'm sure you know the boxes are $50-$60 each. I purchased a couple hundred top loaders which ran over $300 then there are the Bags, boards and any other preventative items that you buy such as micro-chamber paper. Like I said, for my paper art I use Mylar bags, .40 museum grade archival boards and micro chamber paper. While this adds up fast, it is worth it. None of these bags, boards, paper etc. have to be be changed out..ever! I still bag my cels and backgrounds with poly-propylene and change those every year. I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to post here or send me a pm. Good Luck!
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

Thanks for the info Matt. I've only stored my RK cels this way the rest have gone to prat portfolios. The cost of top loaders are prohibitive and I've used mostly treasury size which doubled in price last year. I've yet to find a good source now. Also good to know about the vault boxes (how the toploader will slant)... I'm not sure if I'm willing to compromise on that yet.
Mackettric
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Mackettric »

One option for backings can be just using matboards. Using Artcare mats can eliminate the need for Microchamber paper as well. Redimat.com is a good site for mats, but the minimum order is $100. I use the Alpharag Artcare mats and cut them down to the proper size for backers.