Wondering about cel sequence markings

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Blindsightjs

Wondering about cel sequence markings

Post by Blindsightjs »

Hi everyone,
So since I finally introduced myself, it's time to get some of my random questions off my chest. Alright, I bought this cel a month or so ago and it has this second sequence marking on top in the middle of the cel. Here it is (I just made the rubberslug so I could post this so you'll have to excuse it :) ):
http://blindsightscels.rubberslug.com/g ... mID=349938
I guess my question is what does that marking that starts with "c-" mean?

Thanks,
~Blindsight~
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Wondering about cel sequence markings

Post by JWR »

C= Cut

So in this case your cel is the #10 cel of the A layer of the scene that is Cut #239
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

It is as JWR says. It is the cut. The sequence numbers tell the rough order the cels appear in the sequence. The cut number tells the rough order of the sequences in the show. This number will often show up on backgrounds, layouts,gengas, artboards, and cut bags too. The cut bag often comes when you buy an entire sequence. Here is a cut bag from Nazca showing the cut number.http://itamejihada.net/terminology/artwork/cut_bag.html

Since I love to collect backgrounds, I find that number very helpful in tracking down the screen captures for my backgrounds. If I know which show it comes from, I can very easily find when it appears. The cut numbers start at one and work their way up. It is not exact since sometimes editing may remove some previously planned cuts, but it will get you very close. Sometimes a second number will be next to the cut number. That is usually the TV episode it comes from. Movies will obviously not have the second number. Below is an example from Card Captor Sakura. I can tell from the numbers that the background/cel comes from episode 20 and is roughly the 19th background/cut shown in that episode.

Here is a scan of a background.

Here is a close up of the numbers.

Here is a very rough scan of the cel.

Here is a close up of the numbers on the cel.

Finally, the screen capture.

These numbers also work with CG shows. In CG shows there are no cels to aid in placing where the backgrounds come from. This is especially helpful when there is a lot of CG special effects or characters blocking a clear view of the background. These numbers were how I was able to track down the screen captures of my Mirage of Blaze backgrounds even though I have no cel or sketch to go off of.

For example. It would have been impossible to find the screen capture of this background without the numbers.
Image Image

Ugh. Edited for grammer/spelling.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Ditto what's been said with a few additions.

For TV shows, there are usually about 300 cuts in a single episode. So cut 19 would be close to the beginning, cut 150 around the eyecatch, and cut 289 close to the end.

Toei Studios has always used a distinctive way of identifying cuts. They will break a show into "scenes," which I think is the usual sense of a part of the show that is set in a particular time and place; when the action shifts to another spot, the "scene" number changes. Then within that scene they will number individual "cuts" which are each a shot of a particular character or group from a particular perspective. So Toei cels/sketches will be marked something like "1-16" which is the sixteenth cut in the opening scene of the episode. From the Toei shows for which I have timing sheets and other records, there tend to be about 30 scenes per episode and so an average of about 10 cuts per scene, though this can vary widely from scene to scene.

Most movies seem to use the scene/cut system. So all my Cardcaptor Sakura movie sketches have the scene/cut numbering. (If you have the "Complete Art Book" publications for these, you can consult the storyboard selections in these to track down CCS movie cels/bgs from the scene/cut numbers.) However, crazy Takashi Nakamura numbered all the cuts in his movie A Tree of Palme consecutively from start to finish, so that I have a cel from one of the concluding scenes that is actually labeled "Cut 2118."

Thanks for asking!
Blindsightjs

Post by Blindsightjs »

Thanks for all the input everyone, I appreciate it. I feel like my question was answered in tutorial form, and that's as awesome as this guy :badass . So now that I get how that works and why it's useful, I have a question in response. With that cel, for instance, it would be awesome to somehow magically find a background that belongs with it, and hypothetically, if I did, I could match them up. So my question is has anyone ever been able to get a background for a cel separately from the cel? I know the real, painted, matching background is almost impossible to find that way, but is there a place people look to find some kind of copy of a matching background or something? I don't know what I'm really even getting at, but I'm just thinking for framing purposes, even though I don't have the real background, it would be cool to float the cel over a copy of the matching background. Sorry for the rant, but hopefully it sorta makes sense.

Thanks as always,
~Blindsight~
sensei

Post by sensei »

Blindsightjs wrote: With that cel, for instance, it would be awesome to somehow magically find a background that belongs with it, and hypothetically, if I did, I could match them up. So my question is has anyone ever been able to get a background for a cel separately from the cel?
There are some separate issues here that I'll point out, and, as there are different opinions on them, maybe others can chime in, or when you have time you can use the "search" function (which works really well in Beta) to track down some of the debates from the past.

First: yes, everything you saw on the screen really existed at the time the art went under the camera, so there is a chance that all of it is out there somewhere. I've been able to mate at least two cels that I bought separately with their backgrounds, one from CCS and one from Tonde Buurin. But I'd have to say that it is rare -- not magically so -- but uncommon. It's much more likely to have the jobber or original owner keep one cel with the background, as the two are more valuable kept as an original set-up than sold individually. The Tonde Buurin case was where a number of cels from the same cut came on the market, and finally the complete set-up.
I know the real, painted, matching background is almost impossible to find that way, but is there a place people look to find some kind of copy of a matching background or something?
Well ... Rubberslug did have a feature where you could download good scans of backgrounds that collectors donated to the cause. But that was disabled at the time of the last server move and never set up again. I do know from links that are still live in my gallery that the scans are still there on the server and still downloadable --but the directory is kaput. Sometimes sellers will keep their original set-up and sell the extra cels with good-quality copies of the original background. (Inuyasha cels often come onto the market with these copies.) And with a little trying you can do a screen capture of the moment and print that, though this is problematic as the cels are larger than the "safety" or portion you can see on the screen. (Good way btw to spot fakes, as real cels are painted in the same degree of care outside the safety while forgeries made from screen caps either show only what's visible on the screen or are more carelessly done around the edges.)

Most often the solution is to Photoshop digital backgrounds and then layer the scan of the cel on top. Vapalla's Cels is a good model for this technique, as this collector's family seems quite talented in the use of Photoshop, and the cels are displayed brilliantly. (Vapalla, alas, was kidnapped and brainwashed by bjds a few years ago, so this collection is no longer growing.) Otherwise, you can keep an eye out for non-matching backgrounds of similar impact and mate cels with them. The RS shop has a large quantity of backgrounds, and I know that most shops and auction sites have quantities of now-anonymous bgs, some of which are really outstanding in artistic quality.

In my own collection I've at times made good matches within a series by fitting a cel from one scene with a bg from another, such as this cel of The Watery from CCS. And at times a bg from one series will work with a cel from another, such as this cel of The Firey that went well with a bg from Bleach.
even though I don't have the real background, it would be cool to float the cel over a copy of the matching background.
You'll want to get some advice on framing, as cels are prone to "intrinsic vice" (the bad tendency of chemically active art objects to destroy themselves over time) and so you can damage one by careless framing and displaying. I tend to be a "keep them in the dark" fussbudget, but other Betarians have successfully framed and mounted objects of their own. You are quite right in wanting to float the cel, as it should be separated from the (plexi)glass in front and any mat or background in back. But there are some other precautions to take, including care in choosing materials and a place to hang it. That I'll leave for others with more experience on that front.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

Blindsightjs wrote: So my question is has anyone ever been able to get a background for a cel separately from the cel?
It happens, but like sensei has said, it is pretty rare. Its always kind of exciting when it happens. I have been lucky in that it has happened to me a few times, and they always seem to stand out in my mind.

1) Three times I bought the background as it was being sold separately ( 2 from Card Captor Sakura and 1 from Vampire Hunter D).
2) Twice I saw cels for sale that were matched with the wrong background (same show/wrong sequence) but the background matched a cel I owned. I bought the setups and then reunited the correct cel and background (Nazca and Vampire Hunter D). ---- There was also a third case where I was able to buy a cel with non-matching background that came from the same scene but not the same sequence as one of my cels (The Last Unicorn) Once I had the background, I sold the non-matching cel.
3) Once I bought a CCS cel that had a CCS background that was from the wrong sequence. It turned out I found the background that matched my cel in a Rubberslug gallery about a year later. Strangely enough, the cel it was placed with matched my incorrect background. I contacted the owner and we swapped backgrounds. After writing each other we found out we bought from the same dealer at about the same time. We figured he accidentally switched backgrounds when he was selling the cels.
4) About six years ago I bought 14 random Loveless backgrounds. When I identified where in the show the backgrounds came from, I realized that two of them matched images that were used to make rilezu cels (one of Soubi and one of Yuiko). Just a few weeks ago I was able to buy the one of Soubi. I guess I can always buy the one of Yuiko but I am not willing to pay anywhere close to what the dealer wants for her.

OK so I am a little background crazy. What can I say? I really like them.

If you are looking to find backgrounds that come close to what the original looks like I would keep an eye on both ebay and Yahoo Japan. There are a lot of people selling random production backgrounds there. Most (though not all) come from CG shows so there are no cels to match with them. Some dealers also have random backgrounds for sale too. As far as matching copy backgrounds go, I really don't have anything to add to what sensei has already written.
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

Blindsightjs wrote:So my question is has anyone ever been able to get a background for a cel separately from the cel?
Like graymouser, I've also had success with this several times (don't know if this is a benefit or problem from certain OCD tendencies ^_^; ). There are two or three from Miyu OVA, but I collect pretty heavily from the series, so it was pretty much inevitable... especially since, from the beginning, there was a tendency in this series to pair nice backgrounds with nice cels whether or not they matched. I pretty much just swapped the backgrounds to correct them. For the Nausicaa I reunited I already had the background and then got lucky enough to find the cel at auction within months.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Blindsightjs wrote:So my question is has anyone ever been able to get a background for a cel separately from the cel? I know the real, painted, matching background is almost impossible to find that way, but is there a place people look to find some kind of copy of a matching background or something?
(1) As others have mentioned, it is possible to reunite a cel with its matching background. I've done it on a few occasions, but unless the background is really distinctive this is a pretty difficult task. It was easiest with my Cardcaptor Sakura cels, because there was a period on Yahoo!Japan where a dealer was unloading massive quantities of backgrounds with their matching layouts (so it was easy to identify a sequence, even if the background was nondescript).

(2) If you have a cel from a long sequence and the original background is in another person's online gallery, you can always politely e-mail them and ask for a copy (either digital or physical). Some people don't mind sharing their backgrounds, while other people feel that having copies floating around hurts the value of the original background.

(3) You can always hire a talented fan artist to create a custom background for your cel. It won't be an authentic production background, but it will look good for presentation purposes.