Series/Character ID needed

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Series/Character ID needed

Post by sensei »

I found this in Takamura Store's "Unknown" bin and really liked it. I sorta thought I knew what it might be, but unfortunately that idea didn't check out. Anyone recognize this plucky guy? I'd think the "wishbone" logo on his shield and breastplace, or the flashy headband might help with an ID.

Cel size is standard for TV series. Acetate and trace lines are in good condition, so I'd guess 1990s rather than earlier. It came with a copy layout with no studio logo, but it was labeled "3 -12" which looks like a Toei cut indication rather than the standard episode/cut numbering that other studios used.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Re: Series/Character ID needed

Post by teggacat »

sensei wrote:Image

I found this in Takamura Store's "Unknown" bin and really liked it. I sorta thought I knew what it might be, but unfortunately that idea didn't check out. Anyone recognize this plucky guy? I'd think the "wishbone" logo on his shield and breastplace, or the flashy headband might help with an ID.

Cel size is standard for TV series. Acetate and trace lines are in good condition, so I'd guess 1990s rather than earlier. It came with a copy layout with no studio logo, but it was labeled "3 -12" which looks like a Toei cut indication rather than the standard episode/cut numbering that other studios used.

gosh I dont have a clue but I can see why you were drawn to it Sensei, its a really neat cel!
Hope we get some info on it!
:cheers
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Oh god, the more I look at this, the more I feel like I should know what it is. Are there any production numbers on it?
sensei

Post by sensei »

On the cel, nothing but the sequence number in the usual spot (A7 I think, possibly A9). It came with this copy layout:

It's so vague an image that it might be the storyboard image blown up and then (at some point) taped to a set of registration holes, which fell off when the tape went bad. Anyhow, the "3-12" looks like the way Toei indicates "Scene/cut" numbers in their distinctive way. It could be from a movie that used this system, but the cel is standard TV size, so I don't think so.

All suggestions gratefully accepted. Even a "it might be..." would help as then I could do an image check on Google. "Warrior + Wolf" unfortunately returns images from Wolf's Rain which this obviously isn't from.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I checked the Toei anime listed on Wikipedia for the 1980s and 1990s, but nothing obvious showed up to compare the cel to.

The closest one I could find picturewise was probably King Arthur. :D

Don't think that's it though. There were a lot of giant robot series during that period.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Well, I know this is probably all wrong, but I had the feeling it was an illustration done for a video game manual or magazine. I don't recall any anime with that type of character or creatures...but if it were a solo image done for a video game book or something... ???
sensei

Post by sensei »

Thanks, Keropi and Rakka Alexiel. I did look through a bunch of images from King Arthur and found the general style similar, especially in the eyes. But no shield or headband that resembles what's in the cel. The idea that it's a game cel makes sense, as you could imagine a fight with a small pack of wolves as one level in an adventure game.

I'll put it up in my "One or Two of a Kind" and maybe in time someone will recognize him. Meantime, it's a dramatic "frozen action" cel with a lot of interesting detain in the little warrior's outfit (like the armored knees, for instance).
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I was thinking of something like Wonderboy or something. There's just a tinge of SD in there that made me think of this.

http://www.jap-sai.com/Games/Wonder_Boy ... Series.htm