Scrapped Layouts?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Scrapped Layouts?

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I was recently able to nab a couple layouts from Takegami and they've really got me wondering. Many of them are listed as coming from the "Pilot" episode, which I assume means the first episode, right? ^^; But the thing that has got me stumped thus far is that several of the layouts do not match with anything that's in the actual episode. There is a scene similar to it, but not quite. For example, in two of the layouts, a big, burly guy comes after Terumi and then Koichi comes in and probably punches his lights out. :P But in the episode, there is no big, burly guy. There are, however, several snotty girls that come after her and tease her for drawing a cute picture of Koichi. I'm wondering if the scene was rewritten after these layouts were made...? Does that happen often? I'm really not all that knowledgeable when it comes to the paper stages before cels are made. Any ideas on this?? You can see these layouts here: http://rekka.rubberslug.com/gallery/mas ... esID=45372
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Re: Scrapped Layouts?

Post by graymouser »

I expect that happens quite often. I have 3 full Last Unicorn storyboards covering the same period of time (during one of the songs). All are slightly different from each other. The same thing happened with Last Unicorn backgrounds. I have one in the background section of my gallery that has the same mountain range that appears in the movie, but that particular BG never appears. I also know of another LU BG in another gallery that has the same issue. LU underwent a lot of editing. I think part of it may have been because of the language difference. LU is an American production with its artwork done in Japan.

This seems to happen even in completely Japanese productions too. I also have a few Mirage of Blaze backgrounds that do not match any scenes in the show. They came in the same auctions as production backgrounds that really do appear in the show. I can even trace where they were supposed to be by the numbers on the top, but they are not there. Instead, there are different backgrounds that look close but do not match. For example one of my MOB BGs shows a tori gate with a forest behind the gate and a green field in front of it. Going to the place in the show indicated by the numbers, there is a tori gate with a forest in back of it but instead of a field in front of it there is a lake.

I have a seen few cels that are the same. I have one from Sorcerer Hunters. It looks like it should come from a particular sequence, yet I cannot find the exact match on screen. The character only shows up dressed this way in a very small part of one episode, so I am not misplacing it. I doubt anyone would bother to make a fake of a cel that is only worth about $40 to $50. That is already in fan cel range so why bother with a false claim that it is production? It has machine made lines, a sequence number, and tap holes. I am pretty sure the cel is legit. It was probably edited out later to shorten the sequence to fit the show time.

I still view these cels, backgrounds, storyboards and your layout as legitimate production artwork. If anything, I think they are even more interesting since they help give us an insight to the process of making a show. Its kind of cool to see how the show may have appeared if things had gone differently.
Rekka Alexiel

Re: Scrapped Layouts?

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Hmm! Interesting! Thanks for that input! :D

I'm not concerned at all since these were not actually used for the final stage of making the show. They're still originals with real drawn in pencil markings (non-copied), plus they have really cool OK markings with a cute stamp on the top of each page. xD At least these drawings made it far enough to be OK'ed by one of the main animators, right?

It's really interesting to see how many stages there are in making a single episode of a show. Must be some really grueling work!! "You want me to WHAT!? Re-draw the entire opening two scenes!? *facedesk*"