Finding a hanken's origin

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Blindsightjs

Finding a hanken's origin

Post by Blindsightjs »

Hi everyone,
So I just participated in my first Mandarake auction and I'm so excited to have won a great Pokemon hanken cel that included my favorite Pokemon as a huge bonus. Here's the link for anyone curious:
https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/ite ... 1580100003
I know what episode it was based off of but I've been pondering how one could go about finding the original source material. I'm hoping someone here has a good idea as to how to locate what this cel was originally made for because my Internet search hasn't been turning up anything good. I figured since it was obviously promoting a specific episode, it may be like the Japanese VHS box design or something. Any input would be appreciated :D
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Re: Finding a hanken's origin

Post by moonrabitt »

well, you can hope that when the item comes, it has some writing as to where it was used. Maybe try asking Mandrake if they know the origin. The thing is that there are so many different pokemon products, maybe THOUSANDS....so finding that particular scene will be hard....you can go around Pokemon forums and ask them too...i'll be on the look out for you
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Congratulations, bsjs! I saw that coming around on Mandarake and admired it, and so I'm glad you were able to snag this beauty. I can't add anything to moonrabitt's suggestions, but I did note that the hanken is an odd shape, with the image designed diagonally and a blank corner on the top left. I'd guess that this was to leave that corner free for something, perhaps some kind of text. It could have been an illustration for a children's book based on the episode, and the text accompanying the image would go up there. (I've seen such books with text going top-to-bottom, right-to-left in the old-fashioned way, and that kind of text would fit in that narrow wedge of blank space.) Or maybe an advertisement for an upcoming episode? Just guesses, really. Good luck!
Blindsightjs

Post by Blindsightjs »

Thanks to both of you, I think I'm gonna ask Mandarake when I settle my payment and such, see what they know. Now that you mention it sensei, I could definately see it coming from one of those animanga books they used to make or something. I watched the episode that the hanken was based off of and even found the scene this was meant to imitate, the only difference being the lack of a couple Pokemon in the sleds. This will be my first hanken and I've gotta say, the detail in the artwork is my icing on the cake. I may try to find a good forum too and see if anyone can help. Now that I know it's mine, I really wanna know where it came from so I can attempt to find whatever it is for sale. Aaanyways, if I find anything out, I'll post my findings.