Folded Sketch Care

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Folded Sketch Care

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

I'm curious if anyone has had any success in improving the condition of folded/creased sketches. I'm not overly hopeful about getting out any creases, but I was hoping that someone out there had a good method of flattening out light folds. Is sandwiching a sketch between some big academic books the only option or does anyone know any tricks? XD
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Folded Sketch Care

Post by sensei »

I have what librarians call a bone folder. It's a flat object about the shape of a bookmark that is made from some kind of bone (not human I don't think) and is gently rounded on one end and worked to a blunt point on the other. Conservators rub it gently along creases in paper objects, and it flattens the paper fibers so the crease isn't as prominent. They also do the opposite: if you want a really tight crease (as when you're going to tear a big piece of art paper), you can run the flat end of the tool down the fold and make it as flat as possible. They're not expensive (or you can craft your own out of a handy bone under your bed), and I actually use mine all the time to work out dog-ears on sketches.
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Re: Folded Sketch Care

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Interesting...I've never heard of such a tool. I'm glad I asked!