What filetype do you save your scans as?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

What filetype do you save your scans as?

Post by HigurashiArchives »

I wanted to know what filetypes everyone saves their cel, douga, genga, etc. as after you scan them?

Personally I use uncompressed TIFs and then compress and retouch them into JPGs as need be.

Also how high of resolution do you save, 800x600, etc...?
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: What filetype do you save your scans as?

Post by JWR »

For uploading on Rubberslug I save my images as JPEG at 600 wide at the most.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Mostly JPG format, with animated files being the exception (those I save as GIFs).

I upload mine now at 1000 width since most people have larger screens. I figure that if people are going to steal my scans, they'll do it regardless of whether I scan at 600, 800, 1000 or more. Watermarks don't seem to deter anyone from taking your scans, editing out the name, and then making stuff out of it. I might as well be able to enjoy it when I look at it in my gallery.
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

cutiebunny wrote:Mostly JPG format, with animated files being the exception (those I save as GIFs).

I upload mine now at 1000 width since most people have larger screens. I figure that if people are going to steal my scans, they'll do it regardless of whether I scan at 600, 800, 1000 or more. Watermarks don't seem to deter anyone from taking your scans, editing out the name, and then making stuff out of it. I might as well be able to enjoy it when I look at it in my gallery.
I was always wondering why people on rubberslug uploaded such small scans, is that why? It's really unfortunate then because you don't get to see the full beauty of the artwork. Hmm, is it a really huge problem in this community of "bad guys" stealing people's scans? What do they do with them?
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

JWR wrote:For uploading on Rubberslug I save my images as JPEG at 600 wide at the most.
Why do you save it at such a small resolution if you don't mind me asking?
JWR

Post by JWR »

HigurashiArchives wrote:
JWR wrote:For uploading on Rubberslug I save my images as JPEG at 600 wide at the most.
Mainly due to the limitations of the RS system. The larger the file the more disc space it takes up on the server. With 1000+ galleries it adds up. We recently had a problem where people could not upload images till Jason went in and fixed it.
Max file size is 1 MB.

This was what also was used when we have had the cel and sketch awards here on Beta (for some reason that did not happen this year)
3.) In order to cut down on bandwidth usage, please limit your entries to the following dimensions:

Standard: 600 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Horizontal pan: 800 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Vertical pan: 800 pixels high, 300kb in size
Animated: same pixel restrictions as above, size limit is increased to 800k.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

HigurashiArchives wrote:I was always wondering why people on rubberslug uploaded such small scans, is that why? It's really unfortunate then because you don't get to see the full beauty of the artwork. Hmm, is it a really huge problem in this community of "bad guys" stealing people's scans? What do they do with them?
I can't speak for everyone who posts images with less definition, but a few people I've talked to in the past thought that if they did not post high res scans that their scans would be less likely to be pilfered. Sadly, I've found that not to be the case, especially with the rise of photoshop. There are lots of image galleries out there with cel scans from other RS users, including those that have watermarked their image. If someone really wants that particular pose of a character, they're probably more than willing to do whatever editing that's needed for them to make it look pristine...or just modify it into a coloring book page. I find the biggest deterent to be the code that prevents right clicking on images, but, once again, if someone really wants it, they'll get it.

To me, it's just the nature of the beast that once you put something on the internet, that image no longer belongs to you, but to everyone. That's the price you pay to have an online gallery. I only draw the line when the image is being used to deceive others (ie. a Fan version of one of your items being listed as 'authentic') and if the image is being used in another format for profit. I've had someone use the outline of one of my cels to create an 'authentic' douga for resale on E-bay. That's why I no longer post sequence number information anymore. If someone made a decent enough copy, how would you then prove that yours is the original? To some, though, this might not matter.

I think there a couple of people on the board who have seen their images crop up as other items on E-bay as well.

As for RS, if space is needed on the server, why not enable the system to finally be able to 'trash' images? When you hit 'trash' on any image in your gallery, it just languishes in the Trash section of the website. There used to be a featured where you could permanently delete the images, but since RS 3.0 came into existence, it hasn't been around. I have a couple hundred images that I want to permanently delete, yet I am unable to do so. I know Jason is busy, and I realize that the service is largely free, but a little maintenance now and then would really go a long way to not only keep the site running smoothly but encourage more people to use the service.
pixie_princess
Kamisama - God

Post by pixie_princess »

I save them as psd files so I can do whatever work I need to do (usually animating them). I also scan them in at 600dpi.

I resize the one on my website, typically crop them a bit, add a watermark and save them as jpgs.
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

JWR wrote:
HigurashiArchives wrote:
Mainly due to the limitations of the RS system. The larger the file the more disc space it takes up on the server. With 1000+ galleries it adds up. We recently had a problem where people could not upload images till Jason went in and fixed it.
Max file size is 1 MB.

This was what also was used when we have had the cel and sketch awards here on Beta (for some reason that did not happen this year)
3.) In order to cut down on bandwidth usage, please limit your entries to the following dimensions:

Standard: 600 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Horizontal pan: 800 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Vertical pan: 800 pixels high, 300kb in size
Animated: same pixel restrictions as above, size limit is increased to 800k.
Oof, that's rough... So at this point, I'd imagine most of your saved artwork is in those small sizes? If someone were *cough* creating a new gallery website for his fellow collector friends *cough* would it be of any benifit to you to be able to upload 2MB files at up to 2500 pixels wide? Or do you already have so much stuff saved in those smaller sizes that it wouldn't be realistic to rescan everything? I really think its a shame that everyone's amazing collections cannot be viewed in its full glory because of these limitations.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

I store my scans in two ways:

1) the original raw, uncropped, un-resized, un-photoshopped PSD file scanned at 150dpi (usually)
2) the final, photoshopped, resized JPG files I use on my web site (usually around 500px wide, web resolution).
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

cutiebunny wrote:
HigurashiArchives wrote:I was always wondering why people on rubberslug uploaded such small scans, is that why? It's really unfortunate then because you don't get to see the full beauty of the artwork. Hmm, is it a really huge problem in this community of "bad guys" stealing people's scans? What do they do with them?
I can't speak for everyone who posts images with less definition, but a few people I've talked to in the past thought that if they did not post high res scans that their scans would be less likely to be pilfered. Sadly, I've found that not to be the case, especially with the rise of photoshop. There are lots of image galleries out there with cel scans from other RS users, including those that have watermarked their image. If someone really wants that particular pose of a character, they're probably more than willing to do whatever editing that's needed for them to make it look pristine...or just modify it into a coloring book page. I find the biggest deterent to be the code that prevents right clicking on images, but, once again, if someone really wants it, they'll get it.

To me, it's just the nature of the beast that once you put something on the internet, that image no longer belongs to you, but to everyone. That's the price you pay to have an online gallery. I only draw the line when the image is being used to deceive others (ie. a Fan version of one of your items being listed as 'authentic') and if the image is being used in another format for profit. I've had someone use the outline of one of my cels to create an 'authentic' douga for resale on E-bay. That's why I no longer post sequence number information anymore. If someone made a decent enough copy, how would you then prove that yours is the original? To some, though, this might not matter.

I think there a couple of people on the board who have seen their images crop up as other items on E-bay as well.

As for RS, if space is needed on the server, why not enable the system to finally be able to 'trash' images? When you hit 'trash' on any image in your gallery, it just languishes in the Trash section of the website. There used to be a featured where you could permanently delete the images, but since RS 3.0 came into existence, it hasn't been around. I have a couple hundred images that I want to permanently delete, yet I am unable to do so. I know Jason is busy, and I realize that the service is largely free, but a little maintenance now and then would really go a long way to not only keep the site running smoothly but encourage more people to use the service.
It really annoys me when people use the "I'm really busy and it's a free service" excuse to not pay attention to their users. This excuse just serves to make the users feel bad about asking the person running the service to do their job. It's kind of like me baking you a pie, and in that pie I put the most Delicious fruits and spices, then after baking it I place a hardened white dog poop right on top. You'd probably say "Hey this pie is nice but I can't eat this!" then I would say "Hey it's a free pie! You have no right to complain! Besides, baking a pie is hard and I'm really busy!"

I would like your input if possible, I'm making an online artbook where users submit items from their collections and write a little bit about it. Then other users can comment on it and upload their own items. I think the beauty of it is in it's simplicity. Also it will give you stats about what websites are linking to your images as well as a more accurate view counter which only counts "unique" views. As stated before the max filesize is 2MB and the max width is actually unlimited. I want to stress quality over quantity and I want the focus of the website to be on the artwork itself.

Regardless, in order for my website to succeed I'll need to address this image thief issue. Hmm...
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

zerospace wrote:I store my scans in two ways:

1) the original raw, uncropped, un-resized, un-photoshopped PSD file scanned at 150dpi (usually)
2) the final, photoshopped, resized JPG files I use on my web site (usually around 500px wide, web resolution).

Awesome! That's great to hear! If there was a website which allowed you to upload those raw images and did all the resizing (with resampling) for you would that be useful to you?
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

HigurashiArchives wrote:

Awesome! That's great to hear! If there was a website which allowed you to upload those raw images and did all the resizing (with resampling) for you would that be useful to you?
Thanks, but nope. I built my own cel gallery web application that I use to host my gallery (I gave up on Rubberslug many many moons ago), and I wouldn't trust any web site to do my photoshopping for me -- I still believe in human interaction for certain things. ;)
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

HigurashiArchives wrote: It really annoys me when people use the "I'm really busy and it's a free service" excuse to not pay attention to their users. This excuse just serves to make the users feel bad about asking the person running the service to do their job. It's kind of like me baking you a pie, and in that pie I put the most Delicious fruits and spices, then after baking it I place a hardened white dog poop right on top. You'd probably say "Hey this pie is nice but I can't eat this!" then I would say "Hey it's a free pie! You have no right to complain! Besides, baking a pie is hard and I'm really busy!"

I would like your input if possible, I'm making an online artbook where users submit items from their collections and write a little bit about it. Then other users can comment on it and upload their own items. I think the beauty of it is in it's simplicity. Also it will give you stats about what websites are linking to your images as well as a more accurate view counter which only counts "unique" views. As stated before the max filesize is 2MB and the max width is actually unlimited. I want to stress quality over quantity and I want the focus of the website to be on the artwork itself.

Regardless, in order for my website to succeed I'll need to address this image thief issue. Hmm...
I guess I'm one of those people who knows that I can't do better myself, and if I could, I would have done it long ago. And, I like having a more centralized place to find images from all sorts of shows rather than depending on Google to find everything for me. I know that without RS, I wouldn't have an online gallery, or if I did, it would have all sorts of jainky issues due to my inability to understand coding.

I suppose I could read "HTML for Dummies" or something like that, but...I know I'll never get halfway through it. :roll:

Too bad pie wouldn't convince Jason to hurry up with the improvements. I can make a mean pie....though it might not be much of one after it goes through the postal system. :roll:

I don't know if a centralized location would work. We have the Anime-Beta Gallery on RS, but I don't know if anything's been done with that lately.
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

zerospace wrote:
HigurashiArchives wrote:

Thanks, but nope. I built my own cel gallery web application that I use to host my gallery (I gave up on Rubberslug many many moons ago), and I wouldn't trust any web site to do my photoshopping for me -- I still believe in human interaction for certain things. ;)
Ah, I agree! All it does is resizes the image with resampling, it makes the thumbnails a little bit bigger in terms of filesize but I think it's worth it. But yeah, It doesn't Photoshop or color correct anything, just shrinks the image "gracefully."